Quantcast

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Except for the GTR...Nissan sports cars have gotten worse since the 300ZX.
I have looked at the 350z, 370z and the G37. They are actually a bit better than I expected. I've had a '72 240z, '77 280z and a '88 300zx. The first 2 were glorious, the '88 had a lot of build quality issues and gremlins. But for about $12k you can find a low mile (sub 80k) 350/70 Z with a manual. I think the G37 was by far the nicest and the manual is a must. But I've seen some with 250k and original timing chain and water pump so that's encouraging..

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I got blown away by one of these on the Autobahn in '87. Crazy.

the first time i ever went to a waterfest vw show....when the 20th anniversary gti's came out....there was a black renault R5 with yellow tinted windows making short work of the autocross course....

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I got blown away by one of these on the Autobahn in '87. Crazy.

I saw one of those at a Carlisle kit car show where I sold my Straight 8 to RD3....it looked like such a piece of shit (worn leather, 80s vibes) it was hard understanding just how potent it was.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
I am looking for a new work truck. Specifically, a 4x4, chassis-cab, crew-cab, SRW with at least a 1 ton payload and 15k lbs towing cap. I want something new to newish. Ford, Cheb and RAM seem to be the only options, but I'd prefer Ford or RAM for the live front axle. I don't care about whether its gas or diesel. Remote-combustion would be fine too, but it isn't an option as far as I can tell.

I looked at new RAM pickups online this morning, because I get affiliate pricing through work. JEEBUS! A RAM 3500 costs $75k and the 4500 is $85k.

Is this where the market is now? Am I doing it wrong? Is a one or two year old used truck a better deal? Basically, where should I be looking to find the best deal on something like this?

[I could probably get a 20 year old crew cab with a blown motor for a couple grand on Craigslist. Plug in a reman motor & trans, new dana axles, and I could build the damned thing for a fraction of the cost...if I weren't working 900 hours a week...]

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I am looking for a new work truck. Specifically, a 4x4, chassis-cab, crew-cab, SRW with at least a 1 ton payload and 15k lbs towing cap. I want something new to newish. Ford, Cheb and RAM seem to be the only options, but I'd prefer Ford or RAM for the live front axle. I don't care about whether its gas or diesel. Remote-combustion would be fine too, but it isn't an option as far as I can tell.

I looked at new RAM pickups online this morning, because I get affiliate pricing through work. JEEBUS! A RAM 3500 costs $75k and the 4500 is $85k.

Is this where the market is now? Am I doing it wrong? Is a one or two year old used truck a better deal? Basically, where should I be looking to find the best deal on something like this?

[I could probably get a 20 year old crew cab with a blown motor for a couple grand on Craigslist. Plug in a reman motor & trans, new dana axles, and I could build the damned thing for a fraction of the cost...if I weren't working 900 hours a week...]
Have you seen what houses cost? Welcome to the 2020s.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

Yeah, I'm a cheap fucker. I got a '08 Silverado 1/2 ton 4x4 extra cab with 120k on it for $7k. It's a WT so vinyl floor, manual windows, but it was exactly what I needed. It was a Oregon Department of Agriculture truck I got from the state auction. They had F350 diesels, but I didn't need anything that serious. I had to find a tail gate, but that was $100 on craigslist.

You can't even think about trucks for less than $50k, it's nutty.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Yeah, I'm a cheap fucker. I got a '08 Silverado 1/2 ton 4x4 extra cab with 120k on it for $7k. It's a WT so vinyl floor, manual windows, but it was exactly what I needed. It was a Oregon Department of Agriculture truck I got from the state auction. They had F350 diesels, but I didn't need anything that serious. I had to find a tail gate, but that was $100 on craigslist.

You can't even think about trucks for less than $50k, it's nutty.
Tell me more about this auction pls. Vinyl floors and manual windows sounds like my native habitat…

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Tell me more about this auction pls. Vinyl floors and manual windows sounds like my native habitat…
I got it off GovDeals. I was looking at trucks local when I found one at a lot. They were asking $14k and the salesman said they had gotten it from a government auction, so I went looking. It was in Salem (2 hours away) and they had appointments for inspection before the auction was over, so I checked it out first. No test drives, but I fired it up and crawled all around.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

That's just the market these days. Even 1 - 2 year old trucks command like new money, especially the diesels. Not that it helps, but RAM tended to be the cheapest of the bunch when I was in the market 5 years back.

Of course, it doesn't help that with the parts shortages the MFGs are prioritizing higher trim levels vs the barebones packages.

Personally, I'd buy new if the price difference isn't too steep. Too many yoohoos out there running a +100hp tunes and dumping their flogged trucks on the next unsuspecting buyer.

Last edited:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle

Market is definitely bonkers, but not that bonkers

3500 chassis cab should be a lot less than $75k, unless that price includes the box/bed with all sorts of accessories, or you're looking at the gucci work trucks. Ram Tradesman should be $50k and F350 XL with the Godzilla motor is $55k if I configured them right.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Market is definitely bonkers, but not that bonkers

3500 chassis cab should be a lot less than $75k, unless that price includes the box/bed with all sorts of accessories, or you're looking at the gucci work trucks. Ram Tradesman should be $50k and F350 XL with the Godzilla motor is $55k if I configured them right.
Are those 4wd crewcab prices? Because if so, I am definitely looking in the wrong places. I’d jump at those prices in a heartbeat!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
there's not a font large enough for me to properly type "what the fuck"

.....just know I'm thinking big here
Just targeting their market. Any idea how hard it is getting in and out of a corvette with a BMI of 40? Not to mention when wearing a diabetic ulcer boot.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana

Look at Iron Planet. They have some plain jane stuff usually.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
look up fleet pricing

shocks have sony guts...same thing
It doesn't look like we qualify for fleet pricing. Ford, for example, requires proof of 5 new vehicles or 15 total vehicles for a commercial fleet license...even if I count the tractor, forklift and bikes, we're still a few short.