Quantcast

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Are those 4wd crewcab prices? Because if so, I am definitely looking in the wrong places. I’d jump at those prices in a heartbeat!
That was just going through the configuration on Ford and Dodges websites.

My $0.02 for whatever it’s worth is to get the Ford with the Godzilla. That motor is stout as shit, only reason to get the Dodge is the Cummins, and that massive additional cost just doesn’t make much sense unless you’re towing/hauling for long distances.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Yeah I'm pretty sure the fisker was terrible. Short electric range then powered/generated by a shitty ecoboost 4 cylinder. It's tiny inside and had a lot of design "features" that were questionable, like an exhaust that exited beneath the drivers window. There was a youtube vid that compared the two and it was silly at the end.

I am an avowed musk/tesla hater but the model S was such a good design that it was a no brainer on becoming popular. Big practical hatchback that looked great and had tons of storage? of course. The fisker had a mustache.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR

My $0.02 for whatever it’s worth is to get the Ford with the Godzilla. That motor is stout as shit, only reason to get the Dodge is the Cummins, and that massive additional cost just doesn’t make much sense unless you’re towing/hauling for long distances.
Yeah, I configured a f350 and f450 xl on the ford page and came up with $55k and $58k for the builds I wanted. Definitely looking at the gasser.

Now I just have to figure out how the upfitting process works. Can I just buy a flatbed myself and install it or do I have to use an upfitter, bc of VIN / insurance nonsense…?

Eta: so much for FCA “affiliate pricing…”

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Its a hybrid that gets bad mpg and is bad at nearly everything…
And can you even get parts and whatnot for that?

Like if you get in a little fender bender and crack the bumper guard to Timbuktu, insurance might just write it off.

As far I can tell, that "Fisker" is not the same as the "Fisker" that is still in business today.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Its a hybrid that gets bad mpg and is bad at nearly everything…
I just thought it looked better than the Model 3. :rofl:

The reality is I can get a low mile dual motor 3 for less than $30k. While I'm not a fan of paying $30k for a car (I actually haven't paid that much for a car before) it actually works out. Danny is averaging $40/month in charging and has spent $0 in 14 months on maintenance. I am currently spending about $700/month on fuel alone ($90 fill every 4 days). I was spending almost $500 when I justified the Corvette, but it was $14k and averaged 26mpg.

I actually like the look of the S, but the 3 has funky proportions. Not sure I could do a Y.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
And can you even get parts and whatnot for that?
This is my issue with Tesla. They change shit every 2 years and it seems parts for cars 2+ generations older (4 years) get tough to source. The Chevy dealership here spent 3 months trying to get a door handle for a '14 S.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

:stupid:

I'd happily swap my Cummins for a Tremor with the Godzilla motor.

Yeah, I configured a f350 and f450 xl on the ford page and came up with $55k and $58k for the builds I wanted. Definitely looking at the gasser.

Now I just have to figure out how the upfitting process works. Can I just buy a flatbed myself and install it or do I have to use an upfitter, bc of VIN / insurance nonsense…?

Eta: so much for FCA “affiliate pricing…”
Just make sure whatever truck you get comes with the upfitter package from the factory, not all of them do. Mine for instance didn't so it doesn't have the additional switches and auxiliary distribution power controller. The wiring 12V feed to the rear of the truck is there, but it's DOA without the controller.

You can get around some of this with separate fuse panels and the like, but tapping into the CANBUS is a risky proposition.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

The reality is I can get a low mile dual motor 3 for less than $30k. While I'm not a fan of paying $30k for a car (I actually haven't paid that much for a car before) it actually works out. Danny is averaging $40/month in charging and has spent $0 in 14 months on maintenance. I am currently spending about $700/month on fuel alone ($90 fill every 4 days). I was spending almost $500 when I justified the Corvette, but it was $14k and averaged 26mpg.

I actually like the look of the S, but the 3 has funky proportions. Not sure I could do a Y.
Yeah, but I drove a M3 dual motor over the weekend and it was a blast. The M3 looks crappy and if they fixed the front bumper it would look 10x better, but I didn't care about that when doing hoonigan full throttle work.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Yeah, but I drove a M3 dual motor over the weekend and it was a blast. The M3 looks crappy and if they fixed the front bumper it would look 10x better, but I didn't care about that when doing hoonigan full throttle work.
Can I get one for $30k?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

The 3 is so much uglier than the S, I agree. None of them are quite reasonable, but the 3 is getting close to "I could buy that" territory. I just can't when Musk is the boss.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Can I get one for $30k?
If you're buying used, is an aftermarket front bumper (or fascia as the car nerds seem to say) an option? they seem to make a big difference: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=tesla+model+3+aftermarket+fascia&atb=v340-1&iar=images&iax=images&ia=images
I just can't when Musk is the boss.
too bad there's nothing we can do about that. I'm in the same boat.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
For me the issue with the 3 is the height of the windshield. Like I said, it's like a five head. It looks oddly proportioned.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
This is my issue with Tesla. They change shit every 2 years and it seems parts for cars 2+ generations older (4 years) get tough to source. The Chevy dealership here spent 3 months trying to get a door handle for a '14 S.
I'd imagine this is going to change sooner rather than later. The Y is either now, or will shortly be the best selling car in the world. The 3 isn't too far behind. That's a lot of cars needing parts support, Tesla initially dropped the ball on replacement parts supply, but they seem to be catching up, and if they don't the aftermarket will.

I'm in the same boat of not loving the 3 or Y, but they are kinda hard to argue against right now due to price vs performance. I put the new car thing on hold as it looks like I'm switching to WFH full time, but was having a damn hard time justifying anything EV that wasn't a Y.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I will likely be WFH some but a lot of what I do requires hands on in a lab on a terminal. Some of it I can do frome home, but some I can't.

We just got a KVM switch that can power off a machine remote, so that's progress. The harsh reality is this job requires me to commute.

But then there's stuff like this.

Have you seen my commute? There's a reason I bought the Vette the last time that a 3 is kinda meh. No gears to row in the twisties.

<edit> ok, maybe we are on to something.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The wife might actually be on board with the Tesla. She said she would look at one because she thinks it looks small in the pictures. I've never thought the S looked small, but those pictures aren't great.

Danny just picked up his new whip.

FB_IMG_1684468447864.jpg

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Screenshot_20230520_224616_Instagram.jpg

would drive.

kid i went to highschool with ended up with a older gentlemans calloway scirroco after graduation way back when...