Sep 21, 2001
the new ac cobra gt roadster

might be

the sexiest mazda miata clone ever....

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My friends Brother Hector is the Toyota master. He was able to figure out why I was blowing codes for things I have repaired, the ECM did not reset. He has a Snap On diagnostic machine that not only sees the codes but gives you the option to reset them. Very cool. He reset them for me for fixing the tires on his daughter bike. I taught her to ride a 2 wheeler while I was there. Nice family. I volunteered to take off her training wheels when she is ready.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
What class was the Subaru in? STX? It’d get murdered in SM if your region is anything like how NWR SCCA was.
Dont know what class or how they ran, because they were in our run group and we were all in our cars at the time. This one had the look, but I dont know if it was backed up. The Corolla GR did real good for pax, but it went off course and hit cones more than it didnt, still, top pax score.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That's a legit steal right there.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Man, 2 owners and 11 service records in 1,800 miles. The world of supercar ownership sure is something.
It might have crazy maintenance like the Bugatti. There was a funny story about refurbishing carbon brakes on an SLR McLaren. Kinda like an Italian tube up. :rofl:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Half the reason old supercars get cheap (for a while anyway) is the maintenance costs never go down.

That said, a good example of a Ferrari costs a whole lot less per mile, especially if you actually drive it, lots of time critical repairs you get to pay for no matter how many or how few miles you put on them. Youtubers buy bad cars on purpose, they're not really the benchmark to judge a car's cost of ownership by.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
A guy at work has a Murcielago. He can't get it out of his driveway unless he puts ramps down to prevent it from scraping against the ground. He will only drive it to a few specific places where he knows the roads and such are good enough not to destroy it. Speedbumps, potholes, and most parking lot entrances are a no go. He can't leave it anywhere as he is afraid of people sitting on the hood or leaning against it for selfies. He spends more time dusting it off than he does driving it. Doesn't want to put any miles on it to require maintenance or decrease the value. He openly admits that the best part of owning it is telling people he owns a Lambo and regularly wears his Lambo branded jacket or other gear to help drum up conversations. At least you can take a dumb poser overlanding rig to the grocery store.

He is also a giant douchebag.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
My friends Brother Hector is the Toyota master. He was able to figure out why I was blowing codes for things I have repaired, the ECM did not reset. He has a Snap On diagnostic machine that not only sees the codes but gives you the option to reset them. Very cool. He reset them for me for fixing the tires on his daughter bike. I taught her to ride a 2 wheeler while I was there. Nice family. I volunteered to take off her training wheels when she is ready.
Did he kick the ECM? That was one solution my old shop said to do, if the car failed to start. :rofl:

Something something bad solder job etc. I suspect this is why my tachometer and coolant temp read zero or jumped around like a mosquito, until the car warmed up during cold months.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Did he kick the ECM? That was one solution my old shop said to do, if the car failed to start. :rofl:

Something something bad solder job etc. I suspect this is why my tachometer and coolant temp read zero or jumped around like a mosquito, until the car warmed up during cold months.

No but Toyota programs the ecm to blow codes for unrelated pollution control devices into the code scheme so that you cannot bypass emission control devices for California. I had to replace a Charcoal filter so that the ABS light would go off. I am not sure why they would do this as I don't live in California. Hecter does not know what the Charcoal filter does. The cost of operation for Toyota vehicles is rather prohibitive and should be taken into account when you consider buying one.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
No but Toyota programs the ecm to blow codes for unrelated pollution control devices into the code scheme so that you cannot bypass emission control devices for California. I had to replace a Charcoal filter so that the ABS light would go off. I am not sure why they would do this as I don't live in California. Hecter does not know what the Charcoal filter does. The cost of operation for Toyota vehicles is rather prohibitive and should be taken into account when you consider buying one.
Oh snap, those charcoal filter canister things are not cheap either!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Everything about this truck is perfection. A shining example of American exceptionalism.

View attachment 194157

every time i see something like that, all I can think is "you spent how many thousands of dollars so your brodozer can play dress up?"

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Everything about this truck is perfection. A shining example of American exceptionalism.

View attachment 194157

They put Hemi and Mayhem on the hood and didn't just run with MayHemi? WTF, they got so close to perfection, and fumbled the puck at home plate.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
View attachment 194166

The reality is with the bills from the truck, another car is out of the question for now.
Those wheels are a tragedy. And whats with the plastic trim on the wheel wells?

There is someone I see on the way to work, who is driving a purple wagon Panamera GTS with a roof rack on it. I wouldn't mind having that thing....

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Oh snap, those charcoal filter canister things are not cheap either!
I went to the junkyard and found one on a totaled Rav4 with only 32K on the odometer. I was hoping it worked and it did. $30. This was after chasing down the ABS system for a possible problem for 2 months. I have found a Multimeter is an essential tool when you own a Toyota.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Those wheels are a tragedy. And whats with the plastic trim on the wheel wells?

There is someone I see on the way to work, who is driving a purple wagon Panamera GTS with a roof rack on it. I wouldn't mind having that thing....
Yeah, those flares on the fender are terrible. I was more surprised by the price. The Tycan "turbo" S I drove was almost half that price, and it was a "turbo" S.

I can't mess with the Panamera, the proportions are all wonky on that car.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Auto stop/start in my rental car POS shit the bed at a traffic light intersection when I was at the front of the line of traffic earlier today. It was cranking but not starting. I had to somehow get off to the side and turn the car off. Managed to start with the key and after I found the turn off button I had no more issues.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Auto stop/start in my rental car POS shit the bed at a traffic light intersection when I was at the front of the line of traffic earlier today. It was cranking but not starting. I had to somehow get off to the side and turn the car off. Managed to start with the key and after I found the turn off button I had no more issues.
The $15 auto start/stop disable for the wife's car was a godsend. But yeah, rental car goodness.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I cursed the hell out of my Alfa as it liked to shut off just before I tried to merge into traffic. It was a fast little car, so it didn't need much time to merge, but it sure did if the engine turned off as soon as I let off the brake pedal. I ditched that POS soon after, but the $60 defeat device would be on my list in the future. I heard a BMW's engine dropout at a 4 way stop...it was stopped for about half a second. In what world are you saving gas by restarting it after a second's rest?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Manual car so in neutral and it cuts as you let go of the clutch pedal. It's never bothered me before on cars. But having it fail to start the car and just sit there cranking away wasn't amusing. I'm sure all the cars lined up behind me cursed me out as I didn't move on the green light.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
even for low end super-ish cars the costs are eye watering

A few years ago, when I worked doing parts for Mercedes, I got an email from the factory saying "we are discontinuing support for the SLR, please get all the parts you need now".
I distinctly remember the tub for the chasis had a factory price that meant a 200-250k retail price. Everything was crazy expensive.
Or crazy expensive I thought, until I talked to a few friends working at Mclaren. Now, Mclaren, they have insance prices on everything and crazy service intervals. The gearboxes are not serviceable, a rear seal leaks oil? New gearbox for $50k please. Mercedes is cheap in comparison. ç
Most Mclaren parts are made by boutique suppliers (vs MB, who normally uses big suppliers with established aftermarket support). Its almost impossible to get spares outside the dealer network.