IMG_3607.jpeg
IMG_3608.jpeg
IMG_3609.jpeg
IMG_3610.jpeg
IMG_3605.jpeg

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
The way the seats fold on the new ID.Buzz is suboptimal. It's built like an SUV, not a minivan.

I think we will hold out for Chrysler to make an electric actual minivan.
The range is atrocious, even with the bigger battery pack. I don't want to stop for 30 mins every 280 km when I need to get somewhere. :banghead:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
The way the seats fold on the new ID.Buzz is suboptimal. It's built like an SUV, not a minivan.

I think we will hold out for Chrysler to make an electric actual minivan.
That just makes it more authentic. Real Mini busses and Vanegons had a rear engine, so their seats didn’t fold right either.

I have no idea who the VW is for, seems like a miss for the various van crowds, won’t be imported as a commercial spec van, so that leaves what, the original hippies? They’re a dying breed, literally.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
That just makes it more authentic. Real Mini busses and Vanegons had a rear engine, so their seats didn’t fold right either.

I have no idea who the VW is for, seems like a miss for the various van crowds, won’t be imported as a commercial spec van, so that leaves what, the original hippies? They’re a dying breed, literally.
I think it is for families/soccer mums that do not need an SUV for street cred. Also as cab and for cities that ban ICE cars in their centers (pretty sure that is coming soon here). For the van crowd, the T7 is the better solution.

I have checked it out in real life as I was very interested in the Cargo version (3 seats, lots of loading space). Also met a painter that was really happy with his Cargo. Nice to drive, from the size closer to a VW Caddy than a Multivan/Transporter, so you can get it in some smaller parking garages.
Major drawbacks are the range, the price and the running costs if you do not charge it at home. I did a calculation for my usage scenarios, and on road trips the diesel Caddy is cheaper by a lot and you do not have to stop every 250-280 km depending on outside temperatures (winter range is shit, charging slow; no heat pump in the short wheel base, LWB should have it).

Buzz_vs_Caddy.jpg

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I have no idea who the VW is for
I think we all know. It's for those trend followers and Tesla owners, who think they are doing something green. They're just confused between environmental green and $$$ green.

They'll buy this thing in great numbers, making further improvements on range and whatnot less of a concern to the manufacturers. And thus the circle goes on of electric cars being unavailable, overpriced and not very useful in some situations.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I wonder if the polished rads/intercoolers are anodized? I've always thought spending heaps of money on something that is supposed to dump heat then making it shiny is pretty silly.

Media blasting the Ano FTW!
But I wrongly assumed that black would radiate heat better but it seems that color makes almost no difference.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
The range is atrocious, even with the bigger battery pack. I don't want to stop for 30 mins every 280 km when I need to get somewhere. :banghead:
A friend of mine drove her Ioniq 5 560km (Ottawa to St Catharines, which goes through the most congested stretch of road in North America - the 401 through Toronto). She only needed to stop once to charge. Took 18 minutes. Granted, these were probably optimal conditions for driving - clear and a little under 20°C, but I'm certain things are getting better on the charging front. If only VW could wake up to the range issue, at least for vehicles that are likely to be used frequently for road trips...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I think we all know. It's for those trend followers and Tesla owners, who think they are doing something green. They're just confused between environmental green and $$$ green.

They'll buy this thing in great numbers, making further improvements on range and whatnot less of a concern to the manufacturers. And thus the circle goes on of electric cars being unavailable, overpriced and not very useful in some situations.
I have grown to hate my CUV. it's ponderous, the extra ceiling height is completely useless, and the cargo space is mediocre at best. The only thing that I'm still happy about is ground clearance, and then again, only because when driving on slushy/snowy highways, it reduces the severity of "hydro-planing". I would have bought an EV ages ago if one that met my needs were introduced (while my current vehicle still had residual value and before the Cons killed the EV incentive). Instead all we get are more stupid fucking CUVs and luxury vehicles. The aforementioned Ioniq 5 comes closest to checking all the boxes, but in reality it's still a CUV. at least it has range, and cargo space is pretty close to my current CX-5. As it stands, I guess I'll be driving the Mazda into the ground, and hoping that an electric minivan of some sort is released before my kids move out of the house...

All this to say, I'd buy a mini-van type EV, whatever it looked like, if it had the capacity to charge at 150kw/h, and at least 500 km of range. The Buzz comes closest, but only because its the only one on the market.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I wonder if the polished rads/intercoolers are anodized? I've always thought spending heaps of money on something that is supposed to dump heat then making it shiny is pretty silly.

But I wrongly assumed that black would radiate heat better but it seems that color makes almost no difference.
I mean those Nissans probably don't even need intercoolers, do they even get started up? :rofl:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Does it matter? The cars inside were “show” cars. The cars outside racing were the “go” cars. I honestly dont get the show car thing.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
All this to say, I'd buy a mini-van type EV, whatever it looked like, if it had the capacity to charge at 150kw/h, and at least 500 km of range. The Buzz comes closest, but only because its the only one on the market.
Maxus has the Mifa 9 coming out soon, should be close to the Buzz but will be even more expensive (at least in DK). We have their Euniqu at work and the range is not good. Otherwise an OK van. Mercedes has an offer as well, but terrible range.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Maxus has the Mifa 9 coming out soon, should be close to the Buzz but will be even more expensive (at least in DK). We have their Euniqu at work and the range is not good. Otherwise an OK van. Mercedes has an offer as well, but terrible range.
If only they were available in North America... Is Maxus a Chinese company?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

This is not fair. For most minivan/family hauling use cases this will be more convenient (assuming home charging, which you'd be insane to not have for one of these), better to drive, and cheaper to run as compared to an ICE minivan. iRider's use case of long road trips is not what 99% of actual use will be.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Both with 90 kWh usable, FWD. Similar 120 kW (Merc) and 110 kW (Maxus) fast charging power.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
This is not fair. For most minivan/family hauling use cases this will be more convenient (assuming home charging, which you'd be insane to not have for one of these), better to drive, and cheaper to run as compared to an ICE minivan. iRider's use case of long road trips is not what 99% of actual use will be.
Hej, I have a normal mountainbiker use case for a minivan. :confused: That is what we are talking here, or? Getting yourself and friends to riding destinations, not soccer mum/dad duties. ;)

I did the calculations and only with home charging the "fueling" of the Buzz would be cheaper than my Diesel Caddy (I get 40+ mpg on the highway). I am totally with you that the EV is better to drive though! Not sure about the service/repair costs, but I assume because I would be stuck with the official dealer for an EV, my good and cheaper local mechanic would be a no go.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

Both with 90 kWh usable, FWD. Similar 120 kW (Merc) and 110 kW (Maxus) fast charging power.
Maxus claims 440-595 km WLTP for the Mifa9, which would only be slighlty better than the Buzz if I take the experience from the Euniqu that we have in use into account.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Problem with most of these "vans" for me is the vast amount of crap I'd have to strip out of the back to make them usable for me.
All I want back there is empty space and maybe some tie down points.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Problem with most of these "vans" for me is the vast amount of crap I'd have to strip out of the back to make them usable for me.
All I want back there is empty space and maybe some tie down points.
This is why I am looking at the Buzz Cargo. This wall behind the driver cabin is just a couple of screws to take out. That would. however, mean you need to temperature and noise insulate the back.

This is why I am looking at the Buzz Cargo. This wall behind the driver cabin is just a couple of screws to take out. That would. however, mean you need to temperature and noise insulate the back.

Well, no, you don't need to temperature and noise insulate, you can just live with it. I started with a Chevrolet Astro cargo van, then two Express vans, which worked quite well. I switched to the Sprinter because Chevrolet stopped making the Express in AWD, Sprinter was available in 4WD.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Well, no, you don't need to temperature and noise insulate, you can just live with it. I started with a Chevrolet Astro cargo van, then two Express vans, which worked quite well. I switched to the Sprinter because Chevrolet stopped making the Express in AWD, Sprinter was available in 4WD.
You are right, but especially the noise part is crucial for my wellbeing on long road trips.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I’m honestly surprised nobody is selling cargo vans that have an insulated cargo area yet. Between van lifers and tradesmen with paint, lithium batteries, adhesives, etc back there that shouldn’t be frozen or cooked, it would make a lot of sense.

@iRider is 100% correct, excessive noise in a car’s interior brings the suck. Part of my love of big dumb Mercedes is just how quiet they are, let the peasants listen to roads noise, give me silence in which to enjoy Sabbath at a reasonable volume.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
The way around this that I did with cargo vans back in the day, was to visit a local factory that made that fairly firm closed cell foam for old school hikers sleeping mats or yoga mats. get all the off cut scraps (usually these were free).
Then get some spray cans of glue spray the interior of the van (stripped of lining) and line it in a jigsaw of the off cuts..... You could I guess just buy rolls of the foam too.
Then do the same at a carpet factory or carpet installers whit the scraps too small for them to want to make mat's out of. Now this bit I'd go hog wild with a carpet mosaic..... I had a lot of bong shed fun making some crazy patterns.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
The way around this that I did with cargo vans back in the day, was to visit a local factory that made that fairly firm closed cell foam for old school hikers sleeping mats or yoga mats. get all the off cut scraps (usually these were free).
Then get some spray cans of glue spray the interior of the van (stripped of lining) and line it in a jigsaw of the off cuts..... You could I guess just buy rolls of the foam too.
Then do the same at a carpet factory or carpet installers whit the scraps too small for them to want to make mat's out of. Now this bit I'd go hog wild with a carpet mosaic..... I had a lot of bong shed fun making some crazy patterns.
Some of the commercial car dealers offer that service. I suppose that is because of too many different needs, so only custom solutions are offered.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Wonder if the buyer has a shitty bike that was built in the glory days with loads of CK, Paul and White Ind parts?
I wouldn't pay a dollar for that turd rolled in vomit.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Wonder if the buyer has a shitty bike that was built in the glory days with loads of CK, Paul and White Ind parts?
I wouldn't pay a dollar for that turd rolled in vomit.
There are a bunch of cars like that in town. Brown hood, red fender, gray door, silver trunk and the passenger side is all blue because it hasn't gotten hit yet. :rofl:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Now this EV ticks all the boxes for me (assuming it makes it past the vaporware stage).
Range
Speed
Load capacity
Maneuverability
AWD
But the fronts just ugly as fuck, and reminds me of nothing less than the old Argo ATV I used to have up north on one of my rescue teams.
I'd still like one though.

View attachment 195235
I would rather a 2 door extra cab with more bed. But I like where they are going with it. Add like 2 feet past the back tire.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
I would rather a 2 door extra cab with more bed. But I like where they are going with it. Add like 2 feet past the back tire.

Yeah, with that passthru into the 2ndrow of seat's it's getting close to that.
Also looking at the entry and exit angles, if it had bigger mud tires (and wheel arch clearance) it's probably be alright doing proper off road unless you went swimming.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

is that a toyota front bumper...?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The idea behind a "performance 4x4 truck" is pretty silly, but at least they found a use for a pretty good engine.