Quantcast

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
its like a land rover...a g wagen....and a bmw had a child....

supposedly available in the states this year....

hey toyota....solid fucking axles....

OharaJ

Chimp
May 18, 2023
its like a land rover...a g wagen....and a bmw had a child....

supposedly available in the states this year....

hey toyota....solid fucking axles....
Hot damn it looks solid. Wonder how long in advance you gotta book one of those

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I think that graph shows that more people are getting run over because more people who were raised with smartphones are now behind the wheel of automobiles.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I think that graph shows that more people are getting run over because more people who were raised with smartphones are now behind the wheel of automobiles.
That's an interesting take to double down on.

With the increase in carplay/etc. I've actually seen fewer drivers on their phones in my densely packed sub-urban area. The problem seems fairly clearly to be larger vehicles with additional isolation from the road. As a road rider, it's never the honda FIT that buzzes me off the road but rather the F6000 power by small penis technology. Are penises shrinking? I parked next to an F150 yesterday that was so tall, wide, and long that it couldn't fit in the regular car parking spot in the garage at work.

Truck sizes are insane and they should be taxed at an increased rate to help pay for the roads they are so eager to destroy. Nobody needs to commute in a double cab full sized pickup, but boy do they sure feel the need to. Same goes for SUVs, but the problem starts with pickups.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So not forged and how many apex seals does that give you?
I had no idea. It makes sense when explained, but I always assumed billet was stronger somehow. :mindblown:

.A fully formed forging shaped to the end product is ultimately stronger than a billet machined to shape. The natural internal stresses produced through the forging process create a product with a grain structure that wraps in a natural way. Machining, by its nature, cuts through the grain structure of a billet. This opens up the internal structure and lowers the overall strength. This can be alleviated somewhat by heat treatment, but that also adds cost and cannot recreate the overall strength of a hot worked forging.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Anybody have a preferred method of finding a new mechanic? I think it may be time to try somebody other than who I'm going to.
Google reviews and drive by their shop.

Are their reviews mostly good?

Is the shop clean? Is their property and parking lot clean?

Is it a chain of shops or a family run business?

You can start with something simple like an oil change - that way you get an idea with how well they do the work, stick to scheduling, communication etc. If they take 2 hours to do a scheduled oil change and they leave oily hand prints everywhere........ehhhh.

I delivered parts to shops when I was in college. Fack, some of the places I saw.....I don't know how some of those people ran a business or had customers. Junk on the walls, junk in the parking lot, junk on the floor; just enough room to pull a car into the lift and thats it.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I had no idea. It makes sense when explained, but I always assumed billet was stronger somehow. :mindblown:
High power applications, forced induction especially, need forged. Forged pistons are a good start, but forged crankshaft and more depending on the amount of pressure.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
What kinda work do you need done? Some of them are more competent in certain aspects.

But as @canadmos pointed out, reviews and a drive by are a good place to start.
I've been frequenting a local chain (sullivan tire) for a couple of years. They aren't the cheapest but they haven't given me a bum steer yet and the work is usually done on time and well. Today it looks like my car will not be done on time as when I said "Can you replace my electronic thermostat, as the check engine light is on and it says "Electronic thermostat stuck open" and there is a TSB for replacing the electronic thermostat on these cars from this year" they took to mean "diagnose and leave on the lot all day, maybe order a part for later IDK LOL". So highly likely I will be without my car tomorrow as well because of one surly dude who answered the phone.

I've had a lot of luck with generic/shitty/dirty room mechanics in the past but I've started buying cars that don't need work all the time so I haven't had to deal with them. I think this is a good opportunity to see what else is out there. Local Facebook group has some recommendations, which I'll check out. Friend of mine who owns a 911 and E30 M3 takes his newer model Jeep to a local guy, so if that's good enough for him it'll probably work for me.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
High power applications, forced induction especially, need forged. Forged pistons are a good start, but forged crankshaft and more depending on the amount of pressure.
When my buddy spent $20k for a billet engine block (for a fucking Subaru) I assumed it was stronger. Maybe it's the final milled form for his application, or he just has too much money, so there is that.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Most high power applications are going to billet.

From what I've researched, you can have forged aluminum, which is turned into a billet.

Also if you go down the route of a custom "fabricated" billet machined block, it should have all the strength of a factory block and none of the weakness. It'll also be lighter.

All the spinning bits in an engine are going to be higher strength than the block - the block just holds them all together.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

From what I've researched, you can have forged aluminum, which is turned into a billet.

Also if you go down the route of a custom "fabricated" billet machined block, it should have all the strength of a factory block and none of the weakness. It'll also be lighter.

All the spinning bits in an engine are going to be higher strength than the block - the block just holds them all together.
This thing is silly.

FB_IMG_1688585345057.jpg

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
from my covid vacation in utah 3 years ago....

pretty sure i was listening to "greatest hits by god" by quest for fire
Screenshot_20230705_165854_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
When my buddy spent $20k for a billet engine block (for a fucking Subaru) I assumed it was stronger. Maybe it's the final milled form for his application, or he just has too much money, so there is that.

Factory blocks are cast, then machined. The casting isn’t as strong as a part made from solid billet, forging and casting are two very different processes, you can’t generally even use the same alloys across each process. Most forged parts get machined after forging, same way billet parts get machined from rectangular blocks, part of why they’re so expensive, they’re just a ton of work

A forged block would be stronger, in theory, but I have no idea how you’d forge it to keep the grain structure intact while post machining it. It would cost an absolutely insane amount, and if you didn’t forge the cylinder bores and oil gallows into it, you’d just end up with a glorified billet block anyway.

The good aftermarket blocks are a stronger alloy of aluminum than factory castings and designed to solve the issues that arise when putting way more HP through a block than the factory ever intended. Billet blocks are the best thing out there, even if better processes theoretically exist.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I was just reading about these, damn. That's hot right there. I could build a '67 long bed that would still be 1/3 of the weight of the Silverado EV and WAY more practical.
Car companies have no interest in it but retro fitting seems like a brilliant idea instead of building a new car. Especially for all our run around cars that does not need big batteries or even fast charging. Combine it with vehicle and you have a power wall too.

Have you followed the guy turning a Testarossa into an EV? If you forget about the loss of the glorious sounding v12 it’s a cool project.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Car companies have no interest in it but retro fitting seems like a brilliant idea instead of building a new car. Especially for all our run around cars that does not need big batteries or even fast charging. Combine it with vehicle and you have a power wall too.

Have you followed the guy turning a Testarossa into an EV? If you forget about the loss of the glorious sounding v12 it’s a cool project.

That's bad ass right there. I've had a project on paper for a while and I might do it soon. Using a Porsche 356 Speedster kit with Tesla power train, but there are now aftermarket options as well, now. Tube chassis with fiberglass body, it weighs nothing and is pretty aero for minimal drag. If I can get 200 miles, it would be about perfect.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Haha-- And then of course, you’ve got to worry about the opinions of the New Balance sneaker-wearing Mustang Owners Clubs, and what they’ll say in hushed tones at car meets if you stray too far from the norm.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Time to sell that Merc hunkajunk @Toshi and buy a new EV commuter:

Eldest brother had the yellow Lunch Box monster truck shown in the vid...