Quantcast

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
times I have actually had to quick charge in driving BEV vehicles for quite a few years/miles now: 0. although yesterday's trip to the mountains starting from 80% was cutting it a bit close. my bad there. :D

(i've done it on a lark when I've had free credits at Superchargers/Chargepoint/Electrify America/Blink.)
:stupid:

Hell, I can count on one hand the number of times I've charged outside the home, at all, and the only time I've really needed to was in Denver after driving over the hill in an absolutely freakish headwind before a storm moved in a couple years back.

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Ummmmmmm not exactly. We have 2 fast chargers at work, I watch people all day waste their time and money sitting on the chargers. Ford Lightning owners are here a solid 40-45 minutes.
convenience if you are never in a hurry.....

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
:stupid:

Hell, I can count on one hand the number of times I've charged out side the home, at all, and the only time I've really needed to was in Denver after driving over the hill in an absolutely freakish headwind before a storm moved in a couple years back.
so its something you would never drive out of state with for a vacation....

you probably fly standby for that....

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Ummmmmmm not exactly. We have 2 fast chargers at work, I watch people all day waste their time and money sitting on the chargers. Ford Lightning owners are here a solid 40-45 minutes.
I'm going to guess they have some sort of free charging x 1-2-3 years offer. and they're cheap thus are doing that since minimal wasted time if at work.

if they bought it and only charge on commercial fast chargers then they're idiots, on the other hand. also possible

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
:rofl:

Reliable standby travel has been dead since the housing crash, and it wasn't in that great a shape after 9/11. For the rare 1% of driving I do that's more than 200 miles in a day, we take the Mazda.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
:rofl:

Reliable standby travel has been dead since the housing crash, and it wasn't in that great a shape after 9/11. For the rare 1% of driving I do that's more than 200 miles in a day, we take the Mazda.
I'd wager that a lot of (most?) people could easily get by with *just* an EV and simply renting something appropriate on the occasion that they need to go on a road trip.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
the sheen of Elon is wearing off for everyone not LARPed all the way up his anus due to brand/politics identity. or so I hope
the best thing about teslas has always been picking over them to turn older cars into ev's...

never gave a shit about him pre twitter....

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I will concede the notion that appropriate charging infrastructure is lacking.
I think likely improving with the adoption of the tesla charging plug as the "standard" and their network opening up to non-tezla vehicles though.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I think likely improving with the adoption of the tesla charging plug as the "standard" and their network opening up to non-tezla vehicles though.
yup. if all stations had CCS and NACS and uniform access instead of this hodgepodge of apps/RFIDs etc. it'd be better

* note I didn't include CHAdeMO. sorry, 'squeeb, that tech's days are numbered

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I was disappointed that Nissan didn't kill it earlier. Even in 2019 that shit obviously wasn't happening.
it's too bad, since Nissan + CHAdeMO have vehicle to home power long before the Lightning came along with its hacked together home-CCS setup. they just never pulled their shit together, for example having the tech on all LEAFs with CHAdeMO ports since model year 2013... but not having a US bidirectional charger until last year:

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Mainline UA has had an old school Quigley conversion passenger van on the ramp for weather diversions as long as I've been here. Word round the parts shelf is that it has disappeared recently and no one is quite sure where it might have gotten off too. :rofl:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The Cybertruck is coming along well

. Wired, which examined the documents provided by a whistleblower, discovered that the prototype version of the Cybertruck, tested in January 2022, encountered significant issues, particularly with the braking system. These problems, along with numerous other concerns related to powertrain, suspension, structural integrity, and sealing, have caused preproduction Cybertruck prototypes to fall behind schedule.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Completed my first roadtrip in my iX3 since getting it in April, 410 miles in each direction. I had never driven long distance in the car, used a fast charger or the trip planning software before, but I need not have worried. Fast chargers on the Autobahn were plentiful and easily available even though it's peak holiday season, but I ended up needing them far less than expected. Turns out despite its terrible aerodynamics the iX3 can be driven very efficiently - I was by myself on the first trip and kept my speed below 110 kph. Despite it being 86° with the aircon running I was able to limit consumption to 12,5 kWh/100km or 5 mi/kWh. This car is only supposed to have a range of around 375km, but I made my first and only charging stop after 460km with 70km of range left.

On the return trip with the family in tow I drove significantly faster and completely disregarded the route planning and recommendation to empty the battery as much as possible, just stopping when my daughter needed a break. Both stops were made with over 45% of battery left, but charging speed was still good enough to fill the battery up to over 95% during the time it took my kid to eat or strech her legs on the playground.

Next trip is 1000km to Finale Ligure in September, and while charging infrastructure might not be quite as good in Italy, I'm now super relaxed about the trip.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
These keep popping up and I read that they are actually sort of reliable. I saw one over 300k, that's impressive.