Quantcast

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
for some people cars are strictly utilitarian.
So are bikes. Would you be happy on a 1987 Bridgestone, or do you like your megatroll? Similarly, I don’t want a 1987 Corolla, even though it would get me to work.

For some people, cars are a place they have to spend a significant amount of time and they’d rather make that time pass more pleasantly.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So are bikes. Would you be happy on a 1987 Bridgestone, or do you like your megatroll? Similarly, I don’t want a 1987 Corolla, even though it would get me to work.

For some people, cars are a place they have to spend a significant amount of time and they’d rather make that time pass more pleasantly.
i get what you're saying, but don't knock a car that's pretty clearly utilitarian for not being a sports car. similarly, i don't knock a lotus elise for being uncomfortable when it's clearly a performance sports car and not a luxury car.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Wonder how many years it'll be before you can drive to Alaska with an electric vehicle.
shit. You can't drive to SD right now. AK? Never. Is there even a road that goes all the way to Anchorage?

edit: I guess you can get all the way to Prudhoe Bay, but anything west of the Anchorage-Fairbanks-Prudhoe Bay line has no roads. At least formal ones.

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Consumer Reports :banghead::bonk::banghead::bonk::banghead::bonk::banghead::bonk:
The early 2000's stuff was ok but they were still plagued with head gaskets going at 60k, non existent window seals and major rust problems with the body and sub frames.
More like Consumer Paid for Reports. Nothing beats real world first hand experience.
Once again, didn’t experience this at all. Had a 2005 legacy for 10 years in a massive rust zone. Like many here, we do rust treatments (spray veg oil everywhere) annually. They’re quite popular here. Best I’ve used in the snow.

Consumer reports also integrates feedback into their reports online, for reports like yours. Haven’t checked of late, but fwiw.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
shit. You can't drive to SD right now. AK? Never. Is there even a road that goes all the way to Anchorage?
Having done it, I can attest that you can definitely drive to Anchorage via the Alaska Highway. Fairbanks too. Granted there are only a couple of roads that'll take you into Alaska, but you can definitely get there by vehicle.

Would be kind of weird to throw in the towel and tell our northern pals that the only way to visit is via boat or plane. Cause it's a really cool drive.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Having done it, I can attest that you can definitely drive to Anchorage via the Alaska Highway. Fairbanks too. Granted there are only a couple of roads that'll take you into Alaska, but you can definitely get there by vehicle.

Would be kind of weird to throw in the towel and tell our northern pals that the only way to visit is via boat or plane. Cause it's a really cool drive.
More of a question of infrastructure. Are you rolling with solar panels on the roof? Not sure that Alaska is very EV friendly, but I don't know having never been there.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
More of a question of infrastructure. Are you rolling with solar panels on the roof? Not sure that Alaska is very EV friendly, but I don't know having never been there.
That's what I mean, are we prepared, as a country (though in this case we'd need a healthy dose of Canadian help) to invest in the infrastructure required to allow electric vehicles to navigate to all the same places as ICE vehicles? Or is this a technology geared towards the 95% of people commuting, but there will always be that need for ICE to reach those places where we don't intend to invest?

There are definitely places where ICE powered vehicles are a lifeline, and I'm curious to see if those places have a future beyond the current state of affairs.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Why would a state that is f*** all of nowhere north so half the year it's dark, and so cold you couldn't even charge a f****** battery car.

Other than that the record time from dead horse to Florida keys is pretty f****** impressive on a motorcycle.

John Ryan's record time of 86 hours and 31 minutes in a motorcycle ride from Deadhorse Alaska to Key West, Florida.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

edit: I guess you can get all the way to Prudhoe Bay, but anything west of the Anchorage-Fairbanks-Prudhoe Bay line has no roads. At least formal ones.
I can't do a complete day trip to some places I go in washington without going the loooong way around.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

So they are now paving all the remaining gaps of the road up to Deadhorse (there are a few). You can get to Alaska on the AlCan highway. You can’t get to Juneau though. Plenty of people drive Teslas up here.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

I can't do a complete day trip to some places I go in washington without going the loooong way around.
I can tell you from personal experience that driving an electric car in the exotic and far flung reaches of Southern Colorado can be something of a nerve wracking experience. I love the Leaf, but infrastructure still has a long way to come.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I can tell you from personal experience that driving an electric car in the exotic and far flung reaches of Southern Colorado can be something of a nerve wracking experience. I love the Leaf, but infrastructure still has a long way to come.
That SW area of Colorado is f-ing barren. That is like road warrior/post apocalypse.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
If you think that is bad you have clearly not drove through Nebraska or Kansas.
I have not driven through worse than what happens after Southpark (fairplay) when you are heading towards CoSprings. I have driven all over Texas.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Once again, didn’t experience this at all. Had a 2005 legacy for 10 years in a massive rust zone. Like many here, we do rust treatments (spray veg oil everywhere) annually. They’re quite popular here. Best I’ve used in the snow.

Consumer reports also integrates feedback into their reports online, for reports like yours. Haven’t checked of late, but fwiw.
Other than making the undercarriage a complete mess after a couple years the veg oil spray works great. I've seen old ass cars here in the rust belt with no rust at all.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Anyone got a good source for Nissan parts?

I need to take the truck in for oil change and wheel rotation. It's probably due for engine and cabin filter changes and I'd rather pay $50 for both and do it myself than the couple of hundred the dealer will likely want.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn

I need to take the truck in for oil change and wheel rotation. It's probably due for engine and cabin filter changes and I'd rather pay $50 for both and do it myself than the couple of hundred the dealer will likely want.
Ha. Just went through that exact thing. Dealer estimate for that was a very dumb number, especially the "blow out the air cabin ducts" cost. No thank you.

Must be a few online spots for Nissan parts. I just ordered filters i needed for my toyota from like toyotapartswhileuwait.com or some such shit.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
@stoney you should drive my wife's Pacifica (Plugin) Hybrid sometime. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on it. To me it feels very solid and brick-like in a good way, and the around-town smoothness in the 30 miles of EV range is just sublime.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Ha. Just went through that exact thing. Dealer estimate for that was a very dumb number, especially the "blow out the air cabin ducts" cost. No thank you.

Must be a few online spots for Nissan parts. I just ordered filters i needed for my toyota from like toyotapartswhileuwait.com or some such shit.
For my vehicles, I just use Amazon for air filters.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

Toyota tried pulling this stuff the other day. Took the Tacoma in for an oil change and for them to swap out the snow wheels on it. They asked if we wanted to balance the summer wheels.

lol no thank you. They were balanced from the factory a year ago, but thanks for asking if I wanted to blow another $80.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

If you are paying for the rotation, just go to discount. Le Free'.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I have not driven through worse than what happens after Southpark (fairplay) when you are heading towards CoSprings. I have driven all over Texas.
Off 80, on state highways in NE is bad... I used to go to power stations out in western NE and man... Fucking desolation. And not in a good way. Yeah farms, but rot in the form of cities too.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Off 80, on state highways in NE is bad... I used to go to power stations out in western NE and man... Fucking desolation. And not in a good way. Yeah farms, but rot in the form of cities too.
Yeah - that section between Fairplay and Hartsel is pretty desolate (except for the mansions down on the Platte)... but it's super-short. I'd agree that Nebraska and more so Kansas are worse. Although Hwy 50 through western UT and all of Nevada is the winner in my book. Beautiful, unlike NE and KS, but fucking DESOLATE.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
If you are paying for the rotation, just go to discount. Le Free'.
Takes me longer to head somewhere to get them to do it and wait, than it takes to just swap in the driveway. Already done.

Just need to double-check how many ugga duggas I was supposed to have set the torque wrench to for the lug nuts...

No way would I have been able to remove a couple of the front nuts if I'd been roadside that discount had ugga dugga'd when they put new winter tyres on last autumn. I had to bring out a length of pipe on the breaker bar I was using.

edit: 89lbft, I should really write that down somewhere...

Last edited:
Takes me longer to head somewhere to get them to do it and wait, than it takes to just swap in the driveway. Already done.

Just need to double-check how many ugga duggas I was supposed to have set the torque wrench too for the lug nuts...

No way would I have been able to remove a couple of the front nuts if I'd been roadside that discount had ugga dugga'd when they put new winter tyres on last autumn. I had to bring out a length of pipe on the breaker bar I was using.

edit: 89lbft, I should really write that down somewhere...
Lug nut torque on the Sprinter is something like 160 ft-lb; the wrench that comes with the van is something like 10" long... I carry a torque wrench.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Yeah - that section between Fairplay and Hartsel is pretty desolate (except for the mansions down on the Platte)... but it's super-short. I'd agree that Nebraska and more so Kansas are worse. Although Hwy 50 through western UT and all of Nevada is the winner in my book. Beautiful, unlike NE and KS, but fucking DESOLATE.
I love the deserted, isolated roads in NV, the best highway driving in the US for me. One day I'll do the full Reno - Delta trip.