Quantcast

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Right? Have you ever priced a Singer? They just finished their 300th Porsche.

If @Westy finished his, he could make bank too, I bet.
I appreciate it takes a ton of time and effort to put these together. I sort of wish they was a middle ground that would see more things like this produced and more kinda rich (rather than stinking rich) folk being able to afford them.

Singer, yeah… they’re just printing money at this point.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I appreciate it takes a ton of time and effort to put these together. I sort of wish they was a middle ground that would see more things like this produced and more kinda rich (rather than stinking rich) folk being able to afford them.

Singer, yeah… they’re just printing money at this point.
There was a great video by Stanceworks where he breaks down what it ACTUALLY costs vs HIS costs to build a YouTube vehicle (his tribute BMW E30).

It was $20k his money vs $45k real world dollars. He has sponsors and connections us normal folks don't have.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Not sure if anyone watches it but the 12hr race at Bathurst is on this weekend, top 10 shootout is starting now.
My old man is down there watching it.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Not sure if anyone watches it but the 12hr race at Bathurst is on this weekend, top 10 shootout is starting now.
My old man is down there watching it.
That race died a death years ago.
Right about when they restricted it to just 2 brands, one of which ceased designing/building in Aussie, and the other is about to do the same.
Death by being too scared of the competition to evolve their cars.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
That race died a death years ago.
Right about when they restricted it to just 2 brands, one of which ceased designing/building in Aussie, and the other is about to do the same.
Death by being too scared of the competition to evolve their cars.
Nah, not the Bathurst 1000 bogananza, this is the 12hr with loads of Jap/Euro makes and models.

But the Chev vs Ford racing is on next weekend, they moved the race from my home town to Bathurst. It's a good move because the track here sucked and the race was such a massive inconvienece to people in the CBD, the city is fucked to get around as it is.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
1 kW of PV on the roof will make maybe 5 kWh of power in a day. He claims 300 km range. That'd be 37 mi/kWh. A highway speed real car will get 3 to 4 mi per kWh.

So he's either driving 20 mph everywhere--which is possible given lawnmower engines, or his math is full of shit.

Edit: The shore power he gets from the house PV array, which seems very large, is probably the secret sauce. It's not a solar powered car. It's a slow EV that is 1/10th powered by the PV on it.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I've been thinking about a mini ev. I only need about 100mi range for my 32 mile commute plus kid activities, groceries, and "oops I got caught in a storm" situations...then I could take our subaru for longer trips....hmmm

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I've been thinking about a mini ev. I only need about 100mi range for my 32 mile commute plus kid activities, groceries, and "oops I got caught in a storm" situations...then I could take our subaru for longer trips....hmmm
it'd make sense if it were 1/2 the price, too

used Leaf (2013+ SV and SL have a heat pump) or i3?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
it'd make sense if it were 1/2 the price, too

used Leaf (2013+ SV and SL have a heat pump) or i3?
I kind of like the i3. I think I want about 100 miles of range but I definitely wouldn't want to pay a lot. The 20-30k price range makes sense for a beater EV.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
1 kW of PV on the roof will make maybe 5 kWh of power in a day. He claims 300 km range. That'd be 37 mi/kWh. A highway speed real car will get 3 to 4 mi per kWh.

So he's either driving 20 mph everywhere--which is possible given lawnmower engines, or his math is full of shit.

Edit: The shore power he gets from the house PV array, which seems very large, is probably the secret sauce. It's not a solar powered car. It's a slow EV that is 1/10th powered by the PV on it.
That was my conclusion too. Also his we will just stop for some hours and it will get us home is a bit of a stretch.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
That was my conclusion too. Also his we will just stop for some hours and it will get us home is a bit of a stretch.
The only non-Sunraycer car that can do this trick is the Aptera as it’s so efficient. Like the Sunraycer. :D

I totally want it to not be vaporware. Pls

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
note that that's not our Explorer. it's some weird VW MEB-based small crossover iirc
But you can get 21" wheels and some sort of large touchscreen to look at while you hold your phone and drive!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
does it matter though?! they're all just mini-vans dressed up to look like not-minivans.
it matters if you're transporting 3 kids. these small ones with absent or marginal 3rd rows are no good

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
it matters if you're transporting 3 kids. these small ones with absent or marginal 3rd rows are no good
agreed about the small ones. but I still think the big ones are still sub-standard when transporting three (or more) kids compared to a mini-van. it still screams "I refuse to buy the right vehicle because I am vain".

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
agreed about the small ones. but I still think the big ones are still sub-standard when transporting three (or more) kids compared to a mini-van. it still screams "I refuse to buy the right vehicle because I am vain".
When my buddy got his new Odyssey (back when our kids were small) he was trying to convince us how pimp it was. :rofl:

Just own it, it makes sense with a bunch of kids.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
When my buddy got his new Odyssey (back when our kids were small) he was trying to convince us how pimp it was. :rofl:

Just own it, it makes sense with a bunch of kids.
minivans are objectively awesome vehicles. people are just all stupid about their self image. they still look stupid in their SUVs, so that's that.

anyway, I rustled up stats on 3rd row room in a modern "roomy" 3-row SUV vs a minivan the other day, and the minivan is still far more spacious.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
minivans are objectively awesome vehicles. people are just all stupid about their self image. they still look stupid in their SUVs, so that's that.

anyway, I rustled up stats on 3rd row room in a modern "roomy" 3-row SUV vs a minivan the other day, and the minivan is still far more spacious.

There were 6 of us rug rats, so we had a big blue Chevy van. I was told we had a Ford before that, but I was too small to recall the Ford. Road trips in the van were epic.