Quantcast

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Because RWD is still better. This isnt an S6 hanging the engine in front of the front axle after all…
Quite a mod to go the grocery store and back. Did that mod, put 2k miles on it and sold it? People are weird.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Because RWD is still better. This isnt an S6 hanging the engine in front of the front axle after all…
While I agree RWD is betterer, that seems like a lot of hassle to hamstring a supercar. They made a few, if it were better they would have made more.

Like making a Focus RS FWD only because that's how God intended. :rofl:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
When I read things like this, I really wonder what’s going on. How does one accidentally do this? How close is the pond? How deep is the pond? Death was from drowning?
I read a bit more. Apparently it was dark… and the pond was deep enough (and she was far enough in apparently) that it fully submerged. This is wild to me. Maybe ponds in Texas work differently, but you’d have to be flying to have this happen at most things described as ponds that I know of. 30 yards in, it’s still 3ft deep.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I read a bit more. Apparently it was dark… and the pond was deep enough (and she was far enough in apparently) that it fully submerged. This is wild to me. Maybe ponds in Texas work differently, but you’d have to be flying to have this happen at most things described as ponds that I know of. 30 yards in, it’s still 3ft deep.
Billionaire pond = Lake Superior

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
A few different articles on the interwebs make it sound like a deadly combination of her accidentally putting the car in reverse due to poor design issues (that Tesla knows about), an inability to escape the vehicle when it hit the water (again, potential design flaws), and possibly a slow response from the emergency teams (but it might have been too late regardless). Apparently she was in the car for over an hour...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
A few different articles on the interwebs make it sound like a deadly combination of her accidentally putting the car in reverse due to poor design issues (that Tesla knows about), an inability to escape the vehicle when it hit the water (again, potential design flaws), and possibly a slow response from the emergency teams (but it might have been too late regardless). Apparently she was in the car for over an hour...
car sounds like a death trap. Sad shit. Makes me wonder about my car or conventional cars with electrical locks and winders. Does the electrical short and disable its function? Never really even thought about this.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
car sounds like a death trap. Sad shit. Makes me wonder about my car or conventional cars with electrical locks and winders. Does the electrical short and disable its function? Never really even thought about this.
Scary to think about, isn't it? Can't even imagine her chain of thought as it went from a seemingly silly thing then got worse and worse...
Also, it's my understanding that windows on lots of cars these days may be strong enough that most of those emergency window breaker hammer dealios won't even work. So, first thing to do if you end up in the water and have the ability to do so is to open your windows or doors.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Scary to think about, isn't it? Can't even imagine her chain of thought as it went from a seemingly silly thing then got worse and worse...
Also, it's my understanding that windows on lots of cars these days may be strong enough that most of those emergency window breaker hammer dealios won't even work. So, first thing to do if you end up in the water and have the ability to do so is to open your windows or doors.
After fire and military training, I can affirm it is nearly impossible to get a good enough swing with a emergency hammer when trying to break a tempered window in a submerged scenario. Training will allow you to be calm and collected as the pressure differential equalizes and you can simply wait with your hand on the door handle, pull on the handle and lean into the door as the pressure equalizes and swim away. Or use a spring loaded carbide punch but these are difficult to use/find in low visibility and cold water. Doesnt seem like its that difficult but after getting tossed into deep pools upside down and backwards while rolling and harnessed into airframes and sitting in the middle in a row of 5 and having to wait your turn to unbuckle and swim out behind everyone else on one breath tends to get boring after a few dozen times

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Fresh water has a high dielectric strength and isn't very conductive, most 12V systems will work for a while when submerged. Salt water is a different story. But if you exceed that dielectric strength with a high voltage battery things could get a little wild. I think it is generally recommended to carry a window breaker if you drive around water a lot and even better open your windows when navigating right next to the water like on a boat ramp.

Electric windows are still stupid and don't get me started on powered doors.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
It's been tested and proven that the 12 volt system will keep running after being submerged for some time. Unless of course something happened to the power source.

Panic will make you do some weird and messed up things though...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Corvette's with the push button doors have a manual cable override to open the doors (even though some owners are unaware).

The wife's car has removable headrests, so you SHOULD be able to break the window from the inside.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Corvette's with the push button doors have a manual cable override to open the doors (even though some owners are unaware).

The wife's car has removable headrests, so you SHOULD be able to break the window from the inside.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

There was some random discussion I participated in recently and someone said the same thing about removing a headset.

I just said good luck with that, while dealing with the situation of...going underwater in your car. I mean headrests are a pain in the ass to remove sometimes, even when you're not dealing with a disastrous situation. :busted:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I know this isn't a "work on your own car" thread, but does anyone have recommendations for aftermarket brake rotors? Going on a Mazda CX-5.
Centric rotors? I guess it depends on how much you want to spend.

I'd just get them from rockauto.com - pick from the daily driver or coated section, unless you want to blow more moneys.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I went the ceramic coated route in the past thinking it would help with corrosion. Turns out I leave my car in the driveway often enough in the winter that even those rusted through. I went with whatever the garage had lying around and was cheap last time. As squeeb said, it's not a race car...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I just did pads and rotors on our Cx-5. OEM shit from Advance. It's not a race car.

Also, beware the fuckery if you have electronic parking brake. :fie:
Or get the brakes apart only to find out you need a tool or to jerry rig something to spin the caliper back in... same thing? :busted:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
When I read things like this, I really wonder what’s going on. How does one accidentally do this? How close is the pond? How deep is the pond? Death was from drowning?

It's touched on just briefly in that yahoo "article", but it's worth pointing out here that this "Billionaires" sister is/was Elain Chow. Mrs Chow is Mitch McConnels wife, and was Trumps' Department of Transportation Secretary 2017-2022. DOT oversees the National Highway Traffic Safety administration. An organization in charge of federal motor vehicle safety standards. I'm not suggesting that this woman had it coming, but it's real heavy into "leopards ate my face" territory.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I just did pads and rotors on our Cx-5. OEM shit from Advance. It's not a race car.
I just ordered Centric coated rotors and Powerstop pads. From the looks of the procedure, it really should only take about 30m per side, no?

Also, beware the fuckery if you have electronic parking brake. :fie:
Is there fuckery beyond putting the parking brake in "maintenance mode"? :confused:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Or get the brakes apart only to find out you need a tool or to jerry rig something to spin the caliper back in... same thing? :busted:
Sort of. You can push them back in the old fashioned way with a C-clamp, but you gotta know the secret code to put the rear brakes into "maintenance mode" first. I found out the hard way that this also requires that the caliper be on the rotor when you do the secret knock or it blows the pucks out of teh caliper and they basically can't be reassembled if that happens. My cheap and easy DIY brake job got pretty expensive and time consuming after that little accident.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I just ordered Centric coated rotors and Powerstop pads. From the looks of the procedure, it really should only take about 30m per side, no?

Is there fuckery beyond putting the parking brake in "maintenance mode"? :confused:
Just make sure you put it in maintenance mode BEFORE taking anything apart. You'll have a bad time otherwise.

But yes, it's a pretty quick job. Nothing too crazy.