Quantcast

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Yeah - I watched a couple YT videos the last week or so, and the point was made to set maintenance mode prior to doing really anything with the rear brakes.

Luckily there is still some life left in the rears, so I don't need to fuck with those for awhile. I figure 90K-ish miles is a pretty decent run for the original rotors and pads...

Thanks for the info, gents.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Yeah - I watched a couple YT videos the last week or so, and the point was made to set maintenance mode prior to doing really anything with the rear brakes.

Luckily there is still some life left in the rears, so I don't need to fuck with those for awhile. I figure 90K-ish miles is a pretty decent run for the original rotors and pads...

That's probably about right, ours had about that milage when I did them. I did find that while there was still life left in the pads it almost certainly wasn't going to go another 30k. I figure if your doing the job already, might as well do all 4 sets. I did the shocks/struts while I was in there too. If I hadn't fucked the rear calipers up it was basically a one afternoon sort of job.

edit: if you haven't done the AC belt, now would be an excellent time. It lives behind the fender well cover on the passenger side front wheel.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Sort of. You can push them back in the old fashioned way with a C-clamp, but you gotta know the secret code to put the rear brakes into "maintenance mode" first. I found out the hard way that this also requires that the caliper be on the rotor when you do the secret knock or it blows the pucks out of teh caliper and they basically can't be reassembled if that happens. My cheap and easy DIY brake job got pretty expensive and time consuming after that little accident.
Derp, that sucks. :banghead:

My old 2005 Mazda 3 was void of the electronic brake, but it had those damn pistons that you needed a tool to clamp and spin them back in.

A friend also discovered this on his wife's Hyundai, but only after both brakes were off the car :rofl:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
That's probably about right, ours had about that milage when I did them. I did find that while there was still life left in the pads it almost certainly wasn't going to go another 30k. I figure if your doing the job already, might as well do all 4 sets. I did the shocks/struts while I was in there too. If I hadn't fucked the rear calipers up it was basically a one afternoon sort of job.
Is there any fuckery when replacing the struts on these? I don't think I need them, but if they're easy-ish they might be on the menu at some point.

edit: if you haven't done the AC belt, now would be an excellent time. It lives behind the fender well cover on the passenger side front wheel.
Izzat the serpentine? Didn't yours break at some point?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

1000001530.jpg

110K on the wife's. 0mm of pad left. Got our money's worth! :rofl:

And thanks for the reminder. I've really gotta do belts. 113K on it now...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
centric rotors were generally OK back when I used to do my own brakes. I do suggest getting the coat/painted/etc. brakes so they are less prone to rust.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Is there any fuckery when replacing the struts on these? I don't think I need them, but if they're easy-ish they might be on the menu at some point.

Izzat the serpentine? Didn't yours break at some point?
Struts are pretty straight forward. I bought the kind where you had to swap out the spring because they were like 20 bucks cheaper. In retrospect, I would just buy the fully assembled versions and just save myself the hassle and fuckery of using the always sketchy compression tool. I definitely didn't save myself 40 dollars worth of time.

Not the serpentine belt, there is a seperate one for the water pump. I misspoke/misremembered when I called it the AC belt. I personally didn't have one break, but two people I knew with similar years of CX5 both had the belt go way before recommended interval. If you're at 90k and the belts are OEM you've probably gotten really lucky.

edit: Also note that the car is a mix of old fashioned naked shocks, and bullshit MacPherson struts.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Not the serpentine belt, there is a seperate one for the water pump. I misspoke/misremembered when I called it the AC belt. I personally didn't have one break, but two people I knew with similar years of CX5 both had the belt go way before recommended interval. If you're at 90k and the belts are OEM you've probably gotten really lucky.
I had them replace the serpentine last time I was in there 'cause it had some cracks and I was driving to Jackson. I think I'll have them replace the water pump belt next time I take it in.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
im a luddite....i miss simple engine bays

Screenshot_20240319_133257_Chrome.jpg

even my older brother who has always worked on his own cars....does not fuck with anything other than the old dodge dart.

the atlas and the jetta goes to whatever shop he chooses....

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
im a luddite....i miss simple engine bays

View attachment 209255

even my older brother who has always worked on his own cars....does not fuck with anything other than the old dodge dart.

the atlas and the jetta goes to whatever shop he chooses....
Say what you will about an old jeep, but I could work on ALL OF IT in my own garage. I routinely regret getting rid of it.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Whenever I look at car work, its not whether the actual work is difficult or complicated - its usually pretty simple.

I'm more looking at how corroded are the bolts and fasteners. How badly am I going to split my knuckles open on this crap?

Probably not an issue outside of the northeast and midwest, though. :busted: :disgust:

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I saw the new Volvo EX30. That could actually be a good car for me. Don't need or want something too big for zipping around town. Need to see how much legroom there is though

1711799932890.png

but fear a used Tesla Y is a better solution eventually.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Likely already been posted, but I don't care. I hate this so much I'm going to post it again.

"What’s more, shifting from drive to reverse is accomplished by dragging a screen icon of a truck down on the screen, which is counterintuitive if you’re used to down for D, up for R. In the event that the touchscreen becomes inoperable, though, gear selection can be done via backup capacitive touch buttons on the roof, located right behind the useless rearview mirror."

Fucking nonsense. Cybertruck stuff, but still seems to be the direction the industry is trending in.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Likely already been posted, but I don't care. I hate this so much I'm going to post it again.

"What’s more, shifting from drive to reverse is accomplished by dragging a screen icon of a truck down on the screen, which is counterintuitive if you’re used to down for D, up for R. In the event that the touchscreen becomes inoperable, though, gear selection can be done via backup capacitive touch buttons on the roof, located right behind the useless rearview mirror."

Fucking nonsense. Cybertruck stuff, but still seems to be the direction the industry is trending in.

Shit like that motivates me to not buy a new vehicle.

I wonder if there is a market resto-mod vehicles? Not hot rods or crazy over the top builds. Just a cleaned up 1980s car or truck with some modernized drivetrain bits.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007

I wonder if there is a market resto-mod vehicles? Not hot rods or crazy over the top builds. Just a cleaned up 1980s car or truck with some modernized drivetrain bits.
Have you seen the prices that shit is going for on Craigslist or FB marketplace? By the time you pick up some 30 year old banger and do an engine swap you're well into a new vehicle these days. :dead: It's insanity.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

There is a sweet conversion kit for an early (56-77) VW Bug on BaT right now.

<edit> or you buy a wrecked Tesla Model 3 and a similar sized shit box and Frankenstein an eWhip for about $30k .

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

Whatever market there is, it's likely relegated to the DIY domain. Probably cost prohibitive for most, especially considering clean donor vehicles are hard to come by.

Still doesn't stop me from wanting to pick up a wood paneled Wagoneer and slap some big dumb tires and axles on it.