Quantcast

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Have you seen the prices that shit is going for on Craigslist or FB marketplace? By the time you pick up some 30 year old banger and do an engine swap you're well into a new vehicle these days. :dead: It's insanity.
I have kind of accepted that. I still see “ok” pricing on clean non-runners out here. Came across a running 1986 f350 4x4crewcab, which is what I want for a company truck, this morning for $5k. If it is still around next week when I am back in town, I may buy it…probably repower it with something newer & Efi. It has a carbed 460, which is what I run now and the mpg is embarrassing!

As for rust, not really too much of an issue. We don’t salt (that much) out here and if it survived this long, it’s probably ok. Fwiw, my current Ford has a 6” hole in the floor. Floormat covers it nicely…

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
There is a sweet conversion kit for an early (56-77) VW Bug on BaT right now.

<edit> or you buy a wrecked Tesla Model 3 and a similar sized shit box and Frankenstein an eWhip for about $30k .
I was thinking about EV conversion recently too. There is one EV charging station “near” me and I don’t think it is open yet. Until I can just plug the car into a 120vac or 240vac receptacle or the infrastructure catches up out here in the sticks, they are out for me.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So the neighbor kid was trying to replace the CV joints in his Honda Passport, but he also had a baseball tournament. So the kids uncle was under his car all weekend and into yesterday.

I went to grab something from the car when his mom asked if I could help. He had dropped the front differential to make the CV install easier, but couldn't get it back up where it went.

Using a bottle jack under the diff and the floor jack on the u joint, I got the front to tilt so the mounting tab cleared the steering rack, then lifted the rear into place. It was a bitch.

He says "I've got 2 different Jeeps and I've dropped the diff by myself multiple times. This Japanese crap is like a puzzle that's too small. :rofl:

My 4Runner was a V6 and a nightmare to work on. My Toyota trucks were all 22RE 4 cylinders with a bunch of room in the engine bay. I still want an 89-94 extra cab 4 cylinder 5 speed. That's a truck that could do 300k without issues.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
vw being a dick tease to the us market....fucking twats...

Screenshot_20240405_023512_Threads.jpg

just make the wheels 18 inch instead of what looks like some stupid 20 inch piles of shit...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
There is a sweet conversion kit for an early (56-77) VW Bug on BaT right now.

<edit> or you buy a wrecked Tesla Model 3 and a similar sized shit box and Frankenstein an eWhip for about $30k .
8 hours to charge....

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
FSD will legit kill people

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Which is funny, because its the domestic brands that are outsourcing more and more and the "imports" are being made in NA. :popcorn:
It also means there's hardly any choice of EV's in NA compared to Yurp and Asia, just big dumb expensive trucks and @Toshi 's ugly SUV :D