Quantcast

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The 1980 Tercel hatch I had in college had 12" tires, IIRC. Those fuckers were like $30 each. :D
The Sumitomo's I put on the Vette were like $80 a pop. I got an average of 40k miles out of them, too. Those were 17/18. Not great in the wet, but really not terrible overall. I went through 4 sets of those bitches. :rofl:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
The giant wheel thing is fucking stupid. Especially when you live somewhere where a "good road" is made of smooth slabs of concrete with 3" square edge bumps where they join.
100% agreed. Low profile tires + huge rim sizes are altogether estupido.

The Sumitomo's I put on the Vette were like $80 a pop. I got an average of 40k miles out of them, too. Those were 17/18. Not great in the wet, but really not terrible overall. I went through 4 sets of those bitches. :rofl:
Not so great on ice, though, amirite?? :p

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Those concrete joints are the Tesla rubber band filters.
I recently went on a bit of a road trip with a friend in his Subaru. Between studded tires turning every surface into cobblestones, random grooved surfaces, potholes and square edge bumps it was pretty much impossible to hold a conversation without yelling at each other.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Cybertruck. Water retention. And just utterly shit cable routing. Designed by a bunch of 5 year olds.

IMG_1957.jpeg
IMG_1958.jpeg

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
What are the chances anyone does truck shit with one anyway?
I hope the stresses from just driving over speed bumps are close enough to the ultimate strength of those shitty castings that it fatigues just the same

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
$182k sticker might sell for less than half that with 6k miles.

The sticker on those is unhinged. Not great reviews in them either as a daily driver. Let’s not go into the “turbo” electric.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
OK, some thoughts on EV use over the last week. We rented a Niro EV ”accidentally” as it was the cheapest option and my wife wasn’t paying attention. Decided to roll with it rather than freak out. We used it for about 300 miles in the CA bay area where we were vacationing. We were not provided with a home charger, so had to rely on public chargers for the entire time.

First off- I loved driving the car. The niro is a pretty basic CUV/Tall hatch and it’s a wonderfully normal car. I did not need a user manual to roll the windows up nor did I need to use a tablet to change the radio station. It’s a pretty basic FWD car but it’s electric, and honestly that’s exactly the right way to start driving an EV. I still think that tablet cars are stupid and it’s OK to have an EV drivetrain in a normal car, but I’m apparently in the minority. Acceleration was OK, handling was fine, but I really enjoyed single pedal driving, way more than I thought I would as I foresaw myself using coast a lot more. Instead, I used max regen or one pedal for the majority of the trip, often switching to one pedal when I got off the highway. The car was surprisingly quiet and really pretty comfortable. I even had an ounce of fun when I switched it into sport mode and I-pedal, ripping around Santa Cruz streets for a few minutes to get bagels.

Charging was interesting. We weren’t provided with a home cable so had to rely on what’s out there, which was thankfully plentiful in California. There were some free chargers by a CVS, and we also discovered the power of DC fast chargers, though they were expensive. Range anxiety is real- while the car had plenty of range, I found that I had to plan trips carefully and we would regularly go places that had chargers or park specifically in places that had them. I only got the car “full” once, and it was handed to us with only 70% charge. We just made it back to the rental center with 25 miles in the tank. Surprisingly though, it wasn’t that much of a pain in the ass- a small inconvenience and honestly total charging fees for six days of driving and 300 some odd miles was like 20 dollars or so. In CA, gas was sitting at 5.99 So that would be like a 60 dollar fill up. All of this is to say that with a home charger you’d have no issue And I can see the appeal of having a full battery ready to go in the morning.

So anyways, not as life changing as I had expected and I see the appeal now. I’d love to own one in the future, but it depends a lot on finding one that isn’t idiotic (ie it needs to have turn signals) and minimally relies on a tablet for everything. I think that paired with a home charger would satisfy 95% of my needs, and the rest can be filled by a gas car for long range or Fast chargers out on the road.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
as you note, having L2 EVSE at home is The Way for day to day use.

if you're going to even occasionally road trip it I'd stick to one of the 800V platform Kia/Hyundai variants that'll pull 200 kW+ on a DCFC. note deceptive language used for many: "if on a 350 kW DCFC you can charge X in Y minutes" doesn't actually imply 350 kW DCFC by any means. only thing that can do _that_ is the new giant battery GM pickups, which probably aren't your thing.

anyway:

cheap ones (like the Kona Electric I was considering or the Busy Forks I ended up with) have ~100 kW if not less DCFC ability, which is very marginal these days if you're going to fast charge. I'm not, thus didn't care about that spec at all.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The Kia Niro is a cool car. I wanted one of the hybrid models, but they were vapourware back then.
Honestly, if “It’s fine” were a car, this would be it. There was enough space, enough acceleration, enough ground clearance, enough handling, enough tech, etc. etc. in the car to satisfy 90% of anyone’s needs. I’d still like AWD or RWD and something a little lower and smaller, but I’m a weirdo car guy.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
as you note, having L2 EVSE at home is The Way for day to day use.

if you're going to even occasionally road trip it I'd stick to one of the 800V platform Kia/Hyundai variants that'll pull 200 kW+ on a DCFC. note deceptive language used for many: "if on a 350 kW DCFC you can charge X in Y minutes" doesn't actually imply 350 kW DCFC by any means. only thing that can do _that_ is the new giant battery GM pickups, which probably aren't your thing.

anyway:

cheap ones (like the Kona Electric I was considering or the Busy Forks I ended up with) have ~100 kW if not less DCFC ability, which is very marginal these days if you're going to fast charge. I'm not, thus didn't care about that spec at all.
I'll readily admit I'm at a loss here... what is busy forks?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
:D

once you hear it, tho, it makes sense. Kyle from Out of Spec Reviews coined that one, iirc