Quantcast

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Level 3? DC fast charging? Photos, please.

Level 2 and 1 are EVSE, not chargers, to play the pedant (surprise!). For those the charger proper is on the car itself. The level 1 and 2 EVSE are basically just fancy power cords that negotiate a charging rate.
Trying to find pictures. I thought he had posted some. Here's his server room.

FB_IMG_1620059957834.jpg

And the main fuse panel(s)

FB_IMG_1620060115181.jpg

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Wow I forgot the US only uses 110v. That does suck hard. It seems it’s you lot plus most of the rest of the American continent plus Japan, although even Argentina uses 240v.

Maybe this is a reason Japan likes Hydrogen so much...Maybe Hydrogen is more useful in the US too. God you’re such a problem child.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
So it costs you about $4k to have L2 installed I see. That sucks but it isn’t actually that much. It does suck that 240v isn’t ubiquitous. Time to switch voltage? Nearly every transformer supports both these days, you could move into the 20th century, not quite so far behind...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
So it costs you about $4k to have L2 installed I see. That sucks but it isn’t actually that much. It does suck that 240v isn’t ubiquitous. Time to switch voltage? Nearly every transformer supports both these days, you could move into the 20th century, not quite so far behind...
Where did you get $4k from?

For my house it cost $450 to get a 240V 50A line run to the garage. My EVSE was $950 then, iirc. Comparable 40A level 2 EVSE is more like $350-500 these days as the no-name brands have gotten into it. Subtract a bit more for a 32A EVSE and 40A line instead, as that's all most on-board chargers are good for.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I have a detached garage. When I bought the leaf I had an electrician come out to run wire/240 from the box (Which of course, is attached to the house) to my garage. Install of the remote breaker box, 50 AMP breaker in the house panel, and the trench to bury it all in ran me $700 U.S. I did the electrical work necessary to install the EVSE myself in the garage, but it was naught but maybe 100 bucks in parts and an afternoon of my time, maybe another 500 bucks if one hired an electrician?

I can't imagine that in another home with an attached garage and an appropriate breaker panel that installing an EVSE cant be but 500-1000 dollars. If you can swing a new car payment, you can swing an EVSE install.

*Sniped by @Toshi

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Okay I'm an idiot when it comes to electricity and someone please tell me if I'm wrong, but aren't all houses here supplied with 240v?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Plus US houses have 240V within the house routinely, for electric dryers, ranges, ovens. It's not like it's totally foreign.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Okay I'm an idiot when it comes to electricity and someone please tell me if I'm wrong, but aren't all houses here supplied with 240v?
In canaderp? I assume you're all powered by Canadian Geese and Stanley Cup dreams.

But yes, as far as I'm aware, most homes in North America receive 240, and it's stepped down in the breaker box.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
240V circuits are just linked 120V circuits with a double pole breaker in your fuse box to make it happen. At least I've encountered that before when I had to run a 240V circuit.

But thats probably not a hard and fast rule. I imagine it varies.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
240V circuits are just linked 120V circuits with a double pole breaker in your fuse box to make it happen. At least I've encountered that before when I had to run a 240V circuit.

But thats probably not a hard and fast rule. I imagine it varies.
Experience and google supports that 240V service to the house is standard here, stepped down to 120V inside the house as per 'squeeb.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Experience and google supports that 240V service to the house is standard here, stepped down to 120V inside the house as per 'squeeb.
@Adventurous is moar technically correct, which as we know, is the best kind of correct.

Breaker box has 240 from the street (utility), inside the box this takes the form of 2, 120v supplies . Most stuff in your house is hooked up to only one of them. The exceptions being what you noted earlier, dryer, oven, AC, etc. And you're EVSE, should you install one

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
@Adventurous is moar technically correct, which as we know, is the best kind of correct.

Breaker box has 240 from the street (utility), inside the box this takes the form of 2, 120v supplies . Most stuff in your house is hooked up to only one of them. The exceptions being what you noted earlier, dryer, oven, AC, etc. And you're EVSE, should you install one
Yep, for those of us who still have above ground utilities, you'll see 3 wires entering the house from the utility pole, one bare neutral and two jacketed 120V lines.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
is not the difference between two out of phase 120V 240V now :D

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Oh well that’s not half as bad then. @Toshi I just googled the US install cost and that was the first one I saw. OK then, that Mach E article was dumb AF, and those journalists should feel bad. Everything I said stands, get an EV, don’t be a dick.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
The european model of 95gr co2/km fleet average + fines works wonders to accelerate electrification.
It also would work if folks would not buy SUVs or large cars or cars with too much power. We could cut the CO2 emissions by half easily if everybody would drive sensible cars that match their needs and not their dreams.
While at it, stop flying as well.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It also would work if folks would not buy SUVs or large cars or cars with too much power. We could cut the CO2 emissions by half easily if everybody would drive sensible cars that match their needs and not their dreams.
While at it, stop flying as well.
But then how would I tow 12,000lbs while doing autocross?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My run yesterday was good enough for 7th overall, which is damn good considering the track-prepped cars that run in this group that are far better at autoX than mine. I plan to fix the windshield after rock season.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Just an FYI — “Shooting brake” as a description for an estate car is a language smoosh. The phrase comes from the cart used to haul drinks and snacks around for a hunting party in Ye Olde (and not so olde) England. It is a “shooting break” — a pause in the hunting. Brakes are what cars have to stop with. Makes no sense to mash these two together, but hey, you’re still dealing with Chase Lounges for chaise longues, and Entrees for main courses... so :rolleyes:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
That is one weird-ass course, @Jm_ . Cool that they used different parts of the complex, though.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That is one weird-ass course, @Jm_ . Cool that they used different parts of the complex, though.
The raceway doesn't have a track, just the oval, a parking lot, and the drag strip. The autoX clubs thought the drag strip and oval were "off limits", but when they asked the raceway, the raceway said that no one has ever asked to use them for autoX and that we could absolutely use those as part of the course. Only one guy in a mini damn near hit the wall.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Someone who is OK driving a stolen vehicle?
No title is shady yes, but it wouldn't necessarily mean that it's stolen. Looking at the original Instagram post, it appears these were acquired from an underground mining company.

Of course even if it wasn't, you probably couldn't register it anyway.

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Better charging network for y’all soon?

U.S. lawmakers make push for electric vehicles, charging stations
https://reut.rs/3b6yv39
"Representatives Andy Levin and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez"

Bill is DOA. She could sponsor a bill proposing compulsory constitutional carry of full-auto AR-15s for every citizen, but as long as AOC is associated with it, it'll fail. They've spent too much time villifying her as the boogeyman to back down now.