Quantcast

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That was hilarious. I couldn't find any adjustments for the wheel position, but it was in my nuts with my knees in the dash. :rofl:

PXL_20240909_165451625.jpg

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So there's very little money in driving around like a moran... who could have guessed? :rofl:
Actually they were crazy profitable and got bought by a private equity firm because that's how businesses gets done these days or something. There was a huge exodus after the purchase of all the "talent" and it sank pretty fast.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Jeezus. The statement from the Hoonigan CEO could have literally come from the leader of any corp on the planet.

What is the thought process? Perhaps…

“Oh, there’s a successful small business! Let’s buy it, rip out its soul and use it as a money press!”

“Why isn’t this working? Is this thing even on? Don’t people understand that I am trying to capitalism over here?”

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Jeezus. The statement from the Hoonigan CEO could have literally come from the leader of any corp on the planet.

What is the thought process? Perhaps…

“Oh, there’s a successful small business! Let’s buy it, rip out its soul and use it as a money press!”

“Why isn’t this working? Is this thing even on? Don’t people understand that I am trying to capitalism over here?”
yeah its a shit show

Just to get a sense of the scope Wheel Pros has, let’s list off its brands real quick: American Force, American Racing, Asanti, Black Rhino, DUB, EFX, Fairway Alloys (you know, for golf carts), Foose, Fuel Off-Road, Gorilla, Helo, Kinesis, KMC Wheels, Motegi, Moto Metal, MSA Offroad Wheels, Niche, Performance Replicas, Petrol, Poison Spyder, Pro Comp, Rotiform, Smittybilt, Status, TSW, U.S. Mags, XD Wheels, Headlight Revolution, Morimoto, The Retrofit Source, G2 Axle and Gear, Logiq Air Suspension Solutions, Readylift, Rubicon, Teraflex, Zbroz, in addition to Hoonigan, Throtl, and the aforementioned 4 Wheel Parts digital and retail stores.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I'd have to see evidence to ever believe this claim. :D
It was started by Ken Block. At one point he had more money than God and started Hoonigan for fun. But private equity did what private equity does and ran up over a billion in debt after the purchase "growing the business". :rofl:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
This is not evidence. This is conjecture at best.

They say the best way to make a small fortune in the bike business is to start with a large fortune... perhaps this is similar. :D
It actually happened to a few YouTube channels like Donut and Throttle House. They were all making stupid YouTube money and got bought by private equity, then run dry after gutting the company.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Naw - I'm talking about the original company making big profits. I'm not buying it...
Have you not seen how much stupid money gets made on YouTube? You know Mr Beast has a net worth of over $500M and he hasn't had a real job ever. That's why private equity bought them, because they were making stupid money and they wanted in.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Have you not seen how much stupid money gets made on YouTube? You know Mr Beast has a net worth of over $500M and he hasn't had a real job ever. That's why private equity bought them, because they were making stupid money and they wanted in.
Ken Block made a bunch of money... from founding DC Shoes. doesn't seem like Hoonigan added to that from what I read?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Ken Block made a bunch of money... from founding DC Shoes. doesn't seem like Hoonigan added to that from what I read?

I know he made a shit ton from DC, but Hoonagin was making money, that's why they got bought. Along with Donut Media, TH, and even a few others, I think.

It was like 20 dudes making stupid videos and they were making bank. But then they got bought, all the "talent" left and the company focused on growth, because that's what businesses are expected to do. They had no idea what they were doing and it's failed. Shocking.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
You never had Hoonigan's breakfast cereal? Stopped in for 10¢ happy hour wings at a Hoonigan's Bar and Grille? Wore Hoonigan boxer briefs? Saw Hoonigan touring with Nickelback? They were everywhere, man

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Wait. @jimmydean is claiming that they were making YUGE profits under Block. I haven't seen any evidence yet, though... :homer:
They wouldn't have gotten bought if it didn't at least look profitable. But with all the DC Show money he had, it's hard to distinguish what he made vs what he already had.

a-true-hoonigan-v0-y5tkkbob28bc1.jpeg

Picture this guy in a flat bill and tell me it doesn't scream success.

<edit> the bro he replaced. :rofl:

1711839522432.jpeg

Last edited: