Quantcast

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Is that an E-Bike on an E-Car?
Is it a Nissan leaf and do you like it, any negatives?

My brother is looking at getting one and I'd imagine with proper weather sealing they will be better on salted roads than a traditional IC car.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Is that an E-Bike on an E-Car?
Is it a Nissan leaf and do you like it, any negatives?

My brother is looking at getting one and I'd imagine with proper weather sealing they will be better on salted roads than a traditional IC car.
Yes it is an ebike on an e-car. It is the top ‘luxury’ (lol) spec Leaf for that gen 2 model which isn’t actually saying very much. The 360° parking cameras are the best thing it has in real life. We have a good to great fastcharger network here so I can drive wherever I want and in terms of driving it is super smooth, almost “boring” (Mariocart) to drive but it is actually fun to drive it on hard regenerate mode, and the torque off the line beats nearly any car under $150k which is fun in a shallow way. it’s basically 1pedal drive except on very steep roads.
Mostly It feels really, very good not actively destroying the planet going from point A to point B.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Yes it is an ebike on an e-car. It is the top ‘luxury’ (lol) spec Leaf for that gen 2 model which isn’t actually saying very much. The 360° parking cameras are the best thing it has in real life. We have a good to great fastcharger network here so I can drive wherever I want and in terms of driving it is super smooth, almost “boring” (Mariocart) to drive but it is actually fun to drive it on hard regenerate mode, and the torque off the line beats nearly any car under $150k which is fun in a shallow way. it’s basically 1pedal drive except on very steep roads.
Mostly It feels really, very good not actively destroying the planet going from point A to point B.
Yeah I get to occasionally set up basic brushed DC stuff and it's pretty cool playing around with the max current, regen and plugging settings, but when contactors start burning out it is less fun.
As a conventional mechanic the thought of being a laptop mechanic doesn't excite me much but we have to head that way so I have been setting up the toolbox for more electric stuff, now I just have to learn how to use it. My old man is an electrics whizz, he made up his own solar charger for his off grid/UPS battery set-up so I have to get him to assist at work a couple of times a year. He helped me with a power steer issue on this one as there is nobody local(that we know of) that does board repairs. It's pretty good to be able to do this sorta stuff as the dealers tell you they can't be fixed and you need a new ~$2000 board.
Steering (2).jpg

As we are by far the largest Lithium exporter I really wish Australia start making lithium cells, it seems incredibly wasteful to dig up coal, iron and lithium to make batteries elsewhere, then box them up and send them off again to go in to a car.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
the reduced efficiency of your Leaf from the larger wheel/tire combo is killing the planet, dude
They are factory. It needs new tyres really soon but I can’t seem to get the much hyped Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 pluses around here.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
As we are by far the largest Lithium exporter I really wish Australia start making lithium cells, it seems incredibly wasteful to dig up coal, iron and lithium to make batteries elsewhere, then box them up and send them off again to go in to a car.
I have the same annoyance about wood here in NZ. We should have an NZ IKEA equivalent, not just piles of logs going on ships to actual IKEA.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I have the same annoyance about wood here in NZ. We should have an NZ IKEA equivalent, not just piles of logs going on ships to actual IKEA.
No, Ikea just needs to fuck right off, they started the race to the bottom with their shit disposable furniture. Small furniture factories seem to be getting more common over here which is great, buy quality and replace it when it's dead not when some show on TV says it's not in fashion anymore.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Some of the problem with Ikea is the pricing, their cheap temporary furniture stops people buying quality used items or saving for something decent. You don't see worn out $5000 lounges on the sides of roads or at a trail head but you do see a lot cheap poorly made furniture that is only a few years old. IKEA can do all they want to make themselves look good but I'll believe them when they start making products that last.

Not sure if you can watch it in NZ but a show called War on Waste had a good discussion with an Ikea Rep, they even made a turtle from plastic straws called McChokey and Macca's uses paper straws.
It was a good series- https://iview.abc.net.au/show/war-on-waste/series/1
1620434101349.png

EDIT- To get sorta back on track, you can bolt in electric motors for the classic mini-
1620438353071.png

There's a couple of E-car/bike companies near me and I think one has a mini with a modded Tesla motor in it.

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
No, Ikea just needs to fuck right off, they started the race to the bottom with their shit disposable furniture. Small furniture factories seem to be getting more common over here which is great, buy quality and replace it when it's dead not when some show on TV says it's not in fashion anymore.
Bought a bed from ikea this year for a guest room. It’s made entirely out of aluminum and is incredibly stout. Couldn’t be further from the idea of disposable. I wanted to buy another, but it’s no longer carried (?) I also have an ikea jerker desk that I’ve had for 20 years... just passed it along last week. It’ll probably go another 20 easy.

Don’t think it’s fair to paint everything with the same brush.

from my view, you could do far worse in a lot of areas.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I could get on board with this.

Seriously why on Earth are these companies still developing new combustion tech? It is outrageous, seriously. Are these people’s fucking heads up their asses that far? It’s sickening. Idiotic, irresponsible, immoral BS.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Bought a bed from ikea this year for a guest room. It’s made entirely out of aluminum and is incredibly stout. Couldn’t be further from the idea of disposable. I wanted to buy another, but it’s no longer carried (?) I also have an ikea jerker desk that I’ve had for 20 years... just passed it along last week. It’ll probably go another 20 easy.

Don’t think it’s fair to paint everything with the same brush.

from my view, you could do far worse in a lot of areas.
For a while, we had a bed from ikea in our guest room. It was all solid wood, no particle board, and significantly better quality than 99% of what you can get from mail order furniture. I agree that flat-pack junk is just that, but I'm not sure that Ikea is the main perpetrator. Plus, even buying from "real" furniture places doesn't guarantee you high quality, hardwood furniture, and the price increase for that can be astronomical.

the jerker desk tho, that sounds like something i had in college

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Seriously why on Earth are these companies still developing new combustion tech? It is outrageous, seriously. Are these people’s fucking heads up their asses that far? It’s sickening. Idiotic, irresponsible, immoral BS.
Because there is no light switch that can be flipped to immediately not use combustion technologies?

These combustion engines are also becoming more and more efficient and smaller.

And also have to look at the "big" performance vehicles, those are a fraction of the numbers being sold.

The fundamental technologies and tooling behind them is also being reused. Should all that get tossed?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Because there is no light switch that can be flipped to immediately not use combustion technologies?

These combustion engines are also becoming more and more efficient and smaller.

And also have to look at the "big" performance vehicles, those are a fraction of the numbers being sold.

The fundamental technologies and tooling behind them is also being reused. Should all that get tossed?
it’s a matter of will, and that will isn’t there when there is so much money to be made with the status quo.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
For a while, we had a bed from ikea in our guest room. It was all solid wood, no particle board, and significantly better quality than 99% of what you can get from mail order furniture. I agree that flat-pack junk is just that, but I'm not sure that Ikea is the main perpetrator. Plus, even buying from "real" furniture places doesn't guarantee you high quality, hardwood furniture, and the price increase for that can be astronomical.

the jerker desk tho, that sounds like something i had in college
Ikea furniture

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
This isn’t really the right thread this but it is useful in the context of my above comments; the ‘somehow still legitimate’ (to some) behaviour of 95% of a massive global industry still behaving in a quite literally anti-social, anti human manner because of the belief in ‘the markets’ as the ultimate arbiter of value and behaviour. Just because you can buy something doesn’t mean you should.

Review: A better way of valuing the world
https://reut.rs/3erabLk

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Similar but different, wife had an El Camino as her car through high school. Shame she still doesn't have it tucked in a garage somewhere so we could sell it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
not for U(S) :(

really like that car, genesis is killing it. Their GV70 is spectacular. I've test driven several G80/H-Genesii, they are fantastic cars. The drive experience lacks the "exuberance" of the alfa, but it's not as bad as others and it's just so damned well equipped. You can get android auto on a 2015 if you get the right model.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Similar but different, wife had an El Camino as her car through high school. Shame she still doesn't have it tucked in a garage somewhere so we could sell it.
I wanted to buy one when moving to the US, but my colleagues warned me that it would attract the "wrong kind of girls". They never said anything about women driving El Caminos though. :think:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
saw a mint condition all white Datsun 2000 convertible tonight, sounded so bad ass, the guy driving it knew what he was doing when he whipped a 90* right hander at speed and immediately flipped a 90* left and never touched the brakes.