Quantcast

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
I was an assembler there from June to August of 1964.
I picked up a hobby not too long ago of finding the abandoned old iron mines in northern NJ and in Harriman State Park. I didn't know about Ford dumping until I started learning about the mines in Ringwood. It may not have technically been illegal at the time but after learning about that there's no way I can drive a Ford.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

gonefirefightin

free wieners
@Changleen and @DaveW do either of you know why twin steer axles are an apparently common thing in NZ?

We see them once in a blue moon here in the US but that account is just full of them.
Most of the tandem steers here in the states are long wheelbase rigs such as concrete trucks, pumpers or even large tubs, I know in Europe they use them for turning radius on the short wheelbase day cabs since the loads are heavier and can cause front slide in a tight turn. I would assume NZ has got some tight turns as well

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
check the current month lease cash deals on the Ioniq 5 SEL yo. that'd be a much more prudent choice

That's what I'd like to do. I'd even like to get into a lease rather than buy, as I tend to swap cars every 3 years or so, and EVs seem like the cars to swap most of all. I guess I don't really know how to do it- ask the dude for incentives and money factor, then email that to the dealer and say "Yo, gimme"?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Also, I feel the need to comment about how absolutely useless dealers in my area seem to be about handling anything via email. It's always "Stop in for a test drive" when I ask a simple question like "Will this dodge catch on fire at regular intervals like my Alfa did". Sheesh.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
That's what I'd like to do. I'd even like to get into a lease rather than buy, as I tend to swap cars every 3 years or so, and EVs seem like the cars to swap most of all. I guess I don't really know how to do it- ask the dude for incentives and money factor, then email that to the dealer and say "Yo, gimme"?
1) yes, post in that thread with your lease term desired in months/k mi per year (e.g. 24/12, 36/10), ZIP, specific trim in question. one of the mods will reply with

RV in %
MF in its weird APR/2400 units
lease cash

2) trawl cars.com a bit in your region to see who is off the bat advertising discounts off of MSRP on the model/trim you want

3) find your local participating dealer through Costco Auto for the model in question. that'll give you a page that says "head in to your dealer" but screw that. it'll give you a name or three as the dealer contact. use your google-fu to find their email addresses.

4) compose the deal entirely via email.

e.g.: "I'm interested in a 24/12 lease on a 2024 Ioniq 5 SEL AWD. I saw dealer XYZ in Waltham is offering $3,000 off MSRP. Could you match or beat this via the Costco Auto Program? I also saw on the Edmunds lease forums that the current deal for tier 1 credit is of X% RV, Y MF, and $Z lease cash. Could you send me a PDF quoting a lease with these terms and the $3,000 MSRP discount? I'd roll the MA state credit into the deal if possible. Thanks."

don't play ball with them if you get some boomer sales guy who just has "come into the dealer so I can draw 4 boxes for you" in his repertoire. email only. then go in to sign paperwork for the already agreed upon deal at the end.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I picked up a hobby not too long ago of finding the abandoned old iron mines in northern NJ and in Harriman State Park. I didn't know about Ford dumping until I started learning about the mines in Ringwood. It may not have technically been illegal at the time but after learning about that there's no way I can drive a Ford.
Lots of old mines around here

1727222464093.png

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
@Sandwich Why not just chuck @Toshi a couple hundy to do this for you?
I need to understand how to do it on my own if I'm going to do it again in the future. My understanding is that once you start leasing, it's largely a thing that continues until you buy the car out someday (or continue until death). I always thought leasing was stupid, and I largely still do, but needing a reliable car as a professional and parent (so, newish) and wanting to jump into EVs without fully understanding what the future holds, it all seems like a good idea to lease and see how things shake out later. That being said, there are a lot of professional lease brokers out there and I'm not afraid of using one.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I need to understand how to do it on my own if I'm going to do it again in the future. My understanding is that once you start leasing, it's largely a thing that continues until you buy the car out someday (or continue until death). I always thought leasing was stupid, and I largely still do, but needing a reliable car as a professional and parent (so, newish) and wanting to jump into EVs without fully understanding what the future holds, it all seems like a good idea to lease and see how things shake out later. That being said, there are a lot of professional lease brokers out there and I'm not afraid of using one.
I used to agree until the whole EV thing. Leasing a car that could easily run for 10+ years is a lot like tossing money away. But look at my buddies Plaid lease and it makes perfect sense. A new Plaid was $130k when he got his first one. After 3 years, his lease balance to purchase the car was $88k, a brand new Plaid is $82k. He returned it and got a new Plaid on lease.

So while you don't build any equity, how much equity can you build in an EV that will only lose value, range, and performance every year until bricked?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I used to agree until the whole EV thing. Leasing a car that could easily run for 10+ years is a lot like tossing money away. But look at my buddies Plaid lease and it makes perfect sense. A new Plaid was $130k when he got his first one. After 3 years, his lease balance to purchase the car was $88k, a brand new Plaid is $82k. He returned it and got a new Plaid on lease.

So while you don't build any equity, how much equity can you build in an EV that will only lose value, range, and performance every year until bricked?
Pretty much. Around the corner is solid state batteries? Even faster charging? Elmo dropping prices 10k because trump lost the election? Rebates running out or starting over? Plus MA has a 3500 rebate for a 36mo lease, so that can dramatically reduce the cost of a 3yr lease.

Anyways, learning how to do it correctly and getting a good deal seems like a win.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Pretty much. Around the corner is solid state batteries? Even faster charging? Elmo dropping prices 10k because trump lost the election? Rebates running out or starting over? Plus MA has a 3500 rebate for a 36mo lease, so that can dramatically reduce the cost of a 3yr lease.

Anyways, learning how to do it correctly and getting a good deal seems like a win.
For me it's modular or easily replaceable batteries that need to be developed. There are a few companies that have been able to repair Tesla packs, but it's still a bitch to get to it.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
leasing also gets you the Fed credit implicitly as the passed through cap cost reduction, which you might not get for a purchase because you make too much (shed a tear for me) or because the car has insufficient American (fuck yeah!) content to be eligible.

add in that leasing price wars have led to lovely discounts above that and the pace of tech and it's a no brainer imo. any lease cash over $7,500 is an extra discount. and then you're welcome to try for extra straight up discounts off MSRP to boot--my Busy Forks deal was with $4,401 MSRP discount and $16,250 lease cash iirc. plus Toyota effectively subsidized the interest completely by making the money factor 0.00001, which is a rounding error from 0%.

the other way lease deals can be manipulated to get butts in seats is through companies setting the residual value high. that way the lessee pays for less of the car's value. Toyota did it the other way: very realistic/low RV but tons of lease cash and subsidized MF. two ways to the same end, either way good for the lessee.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK