Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
On my drive home today I spotted an 80 series Land Cruiser waiting to turn onto the road. Normal enough except that it had hood mounted mirrors!

So I looked at it a bit more as I passed it and sure enough it was a RHD JDM import. I’m guessing it’s a turbodiesel.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
As we are by far the largest Lithium exporter I really wish Australia start making lithium cells, it seems incredibly wasteful to dig up coal, iron and lithium to make batteries elsewhere, then box them up and send them off again to go in to a car.
Shipping is so efficient, it usually costs 2-3% of the product to ship it halfway around the world.
If (by pure economics of scale) there is a supplier capable of processing stuff 5% cheaper (trivially easy, as volume savings can be as high as 40-80% for capital intensive stuff) that would be enough savings to do it.
Compound this with the effect of wholesale/distribution agreements (say, you were willing to risk it and invest and manufacture locally, but without distribuitors to absorb production the risk would be too big) ... and you get the world as we know it.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

Stupid fucking Americans. "Oh, I need an SUV." "Oh, I need a big truck" Majority of us are fucking idiots.

This would actually get me to strip the Subaru back to stock, sell the parts (even at a loss), and buy a new car. I know I fit in the sedan with Haley behind me.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Stupid fucking Americans. "Oh, I need an SUV." "Oh, I need a big truck" Majority of us are fucking idiots.

This would actually get me to strip the Subaru back to stock, sell the parts (even at a loss), and buy a new car. I know I fit in the sedan with Haley behind me.
Footprint rule.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Shipping is also so polluting.
Yes. Its price doesnt reflect its true cost.

And it wll just keep getting bigger, as the combo of large/efficient manufacturer + large/efficient distribuitor network will drive smaller companies out of the market everywhere.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Footprint rule.

Thats very "dont mess this quarter" centric.

Euope(part of EMEA)/China/NA (and maybe japan) are market makers.
All others are just followers, we just consume whatever is the prevalent/dominant spec in market makers.

Europe/China/Japan emissions standards/specs are close enough to be somewhat commercially interchangable.
If NA manufacturers go down the path of making their own standard and "avoid" the investment/development phase, they will in the long run effectively lock themselves out of 50% of the market (the market makers) and indirectly from the followers as well (just wont be able to compete in time even if they wanted to).

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
NGL, Mercedes do nothing for me. Except for the Unimog. Otherwise, just a buncha mehwagons.
AFAIK, the SL is a softer car than say the GT. It's really intended to be a cruiser. Don't know about it's AMG guise, but it's kind of redundant with the GT I'd think. I'd take an E63 estate any day though.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
AFAIK, the SL is a softer car than say the GT. It's really intended to be a cruiser. Don't know about it's AMG guise, but it's kind of redundant with the GT I'd think. I'd take an E63 estate any day though.
While the GT is crazy and set the Ring lap record, the SL is no track slouch. I think I would get in less trouble in the SL than the GT.

There is a built gullwing for sale local that is amazing.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
NGL, Mercedes do nothing for me. Except for the Unimog. Otherwise, just a buncha mehwagons.
I agree mostly, gullwing has a special place for me, Unimog cool and useless, still want.
There "cool" amg things are just, sigh.

Years ago someone passed me in the middle of the night in a SLR at triple digit speeds, kind of cool seeing a car going stupid fast.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I was just thinking about that car, I remember it being in the DuPont registry magazine back in the early 90s.

Ugly bodywork, but not a good looking car to begin with.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I was just thinking about that car, I remember it being in the DuPont registry magazine back in the early 90s.

Ugly bodywork, but not a good looking car to begin with.
The body is 100% functional. The C4 Corvette is crazy aero (the C5 is the most aero generation) so it didn't take much.

I wasn't a huge fan but I actually fell in love with my C4. I still can't get over just how stupid that car was for $4k. While the C4 has it's issues, the reality is it's still a damn nice performer. And the seats were WAY better. :rofl:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The body is 100% functional. The C4 Corvette is crazy aero (the C5 is the most aero generation) so it didn't take much.

I wasn't a huge fan but I actually fell in love with my C4. I still can't get over just how stupid that car was for $4k. While the C4 has it's issues, the reality is it's still a damn nice performer. And the seats were WAY better. :rofl:
Yeah, gas mileage was in the 30s for C5 with a V8, because basically no aero cross section.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Yeah, gas mileage was in the 30s for C5 with a V8, because basically no aero cross section.
And with the 6 speed I'm only spinning 1400 rpm at 70mph. I've averaged 24mpg over 130kish miles. It's kind of silly really, almost better than the CRV we have (minus the premium fuel, too).

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
At least all the wheels appear connected

95F92779-9D5D-4B5F-8F82-9ECA9939656C.jpeg

Pretty okay set up if you have a truck with plenty of payload capacity and a camper with no toy hauler ability, how you find yourself in that exact predicament remains unclear, but those ramp racks are pretty popular so it must be common.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Math time for that photo!

That's a SuperCrew F-150. Max payload is therefore 2,481 lbs.

That rack's something like this. Let's assume he got the lighter 230 lb aluminum version to be charitable.

The side by side looks to be a Can-Am Maverick X3 Max DS Turbo or the like judging from the doors. That's 1,726 lbs dry, so let's call it 1,800 flat to be fair.

Then he has the trailer with its tongue weight and his cargo/human passenger weight, too. By my calculations therefore he has 2,481 - 230 - 1,800 to work with for tongue/passenger/cargo weight, or 451 lbs.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
It was an F250 in my photo, so payload wasn't concerning, it was more the centre of gravity.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Math time for that photo!

That's a SuperCrew F-150. Max payload is therefore 2,481 lbs.

That rack's something like this. Let's assume he got the lighter 230 lb aluminum version to be charitable.

The side by side looks to be a Can-Am Maverick X3 Max DS Turbo or the like judging from the doors. That's 1,726 lbs dry, so let's call it 1,800 flat to be fair.

Then he has the trailer with its tongue weight and his cargo/human passenger weight, too. By my calculations therefore he has 2,481 - 230 - 1,800 to work with for tongue/passenger/cargo weight, or 451 lbs.
almost makes a vanagon look aerodynamic....

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
You were 1.5/2.5=60% so 40% wrong. :D

A non-camper package F-250 Crew Cab with the diesel has all of 2,992 lbs of payload, and 800 lbs less yet if one downrates the GVWR to 10k flat for some reason (taxes? not sure why one would do this).

2,992 - 230 - 1,800 = 1,062 for passengers, tongue weight, cargo, and again if he got the aluminum rack.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
You showed your workings the first time so you didn’t need that for the extra credit.

It’s slightly shocking you only get an extra ~400lbs — 180kg (that’s just one morbidly obese human) in extra capacity from the 150 to 250. It’s as if these vehicles are really terrible in most every measurable way.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

A non-camper package F-250 Crew Cab with the diesel has all of 2,992 lbs of payload, and 800 lbs less yet if one downrates the GVWR to 10k flat for some reason (taxes? not sure why one would do this).

2,992 - 230 - 1,800 = 1,062 for passengers, tongue weight, cargo, and again if he got the aluminum rack.
The 10K GVWR is indeed for legal purposes. Things get more complicated once you exceed that in some states.

My truck has a 12K something GVWR, and I must take it to a heavy equipment dealer for for yearly inspection. The past two years I've had the pleasure of taking it to some lunatic who has ranted about guns and democrats and how we should call the coronavirus by where it originated the entire time. Really wish I could get it inspected at the half a billion regular gas stations like everyone else.