Quantcast

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
The 10K GVWR is indeed for legal purposes. Things get more complicated once you exceed that in some states.

My truck has a 12K something GVWR, and I must take it to a heavy equipment dealer for for yearly inspection. The past two years I've had the pleasure of taking it to some lunatic who has ranted about guns and democrats and how we should call the coronavirus by where it originated the entire time. Really wish I could get it inspected at the half a billion regular gas stations like everyone else.
Well I mean... You did get a Dodge and Dodge is synonymous for crazy American Trumper. My buddy's company does industrial machinery which is deliverable in a truck and bought a fleet of new trucks 2 years ago. He said in buying 20 trucks they could have saved over $150k by buying Ram's vs. GMC's, gotten better maintenance costs, and better residual value. But the management didn't want people to correlate the company with Trumpers because the management and decision makers of their customers are primarily engineers and other "educated" individuals. They felt the added cost of the trucks was worth far more that reducing the company's fiscal value, reputation, and the potential loss of sales, so they ate the extra cost.

So yeah. Dodge/Ram. You did it to yourself.

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Well I mean... I did get a Dodge and Dodge is synonymous for crazy American Trumper. My buddy's company does industrial machinery which is deliverable in a truck and bought a fleet of new trucks 2 years ago. He said in buying 20 trucks they could have saved over $150k by buying Ram's vs. GMC's, gotten better maintenance costs, and better residual value. But the management didn't want people to correlate the company with Trumpers because the management and decision makers of their customers are primarily engineers and other "educated" individuals. They felt the added cost of the trucks was worth far more that reducing the company's fiscal value, reputation, and the potential loss of sales, so they ate the extra cost.

So yeah. Dodge/Ram. You did it to yourself.
The stereotypes around here are a bit different. Fords are favored as the working trucks, with Chevy close behind. Worker bees get Fords, GCs and managers get Chevy/GMC. Rams aren't as prevalent, and I can only assume thats because of their rusting issues in the late 90s/early 00s.

Most of the truck bro douchebags around here seem to drive Chevys. I've lost track of how many I've seen rolling past with back the blue, trump/pence, and 3%er stickers on the back window.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
The stereotypes around here are a bit different. Fords are favored as the working trucks, with Chevy close behind. Worker bees get Fords, GCs and managers get Chevy/GMC. Rams aren't as prevalent, and I can only assume thats because of their rusting issues in the late 90s/early 00s.

Most of the truck bro douchebags around here seem to drive Chevys. I've lost track of how many I've seen rolling past with back the blue, trump/pence, and 3%er stickers on the back window.
Makes sense for regional popularity. They really cover middle-American oil regions, so the swath from WY down is very Dodge/Ram diesel heavy - roll coal Yo!

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Makes sense for regional popularity. They really cover middle-American oil regions, so the swath from WY down is very Dodge/Ram diesel heavy - roll coal Yo!
You are right, and the trend also has to do with gas vs diesel. 95% of the HD trucks on the lot in CO were diesels. Here it's probably 75% gas/25% diesel. I'm sure you'd see markedly different breakdowns if you looked at popularity of brands in that sense.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Took a trip up to Mt Baker last week and on the way home got stuck behind a red F150 with Trump sticker going 20 mph under the limit. Probably for good reason as he had a bunch of unsecured lumber sliding around his short bed.

When I made a legal pass following all rules he swerved in my direction almost putting me into a guard rail. My buddy in the passenger seat nearly shit himself. I assumed he muttered some homophobic slur under his breath in regards to my un-manly compact car.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Last weekend a dodge ram tailgated me then passed me and purposely tried to cut me off, i guess thinking i was going to be speeding the camaro down the city roads, was really pissed so in his cab was making some sort of motioning in the rear view mirror and yelling something when he was ahead. Mind you, he had a filled 55 gallon barrel in the bed so every time be did one of these jackass things it would bounce around and it was seriously damaging the truck. He tried to take the on-ramp but had to stop on the side due to the barrel bouncing bad. I then floored it like only the LT1 can. It was bizarre as hell though.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I got a neighbor and he’s a total tool. Guess what drives a Dodge Ram.

I had a friend but he was so annoying and dumb. He became a trumper and all around idiot. You guessed it, loved his dodge but was such a deadbeat he had to sell it. Couldn’t afford to register it.

localy this guy was really into dodge cars then became a cat and was the cat man.

dodge, Chrysler, and Plymouth have always drawn a special breed that the rest of us find perplexing.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Ram dealers around here will finance literally anybody, and they're willing to cut some serious deals where Chevy and Ford are not, so that ups the dumbass metric of Dodge ownership.

They're finally un-terrible trucks, lightyears better than anything GM is putting out, the coil sprung 1500s drive amazingly well, and the 2500 is pretty on-par with Superduty depending on your usage. However the stigma of the "Cali Lean" crew with 33"x12" tires on 24"x14" rims, tow mirrors out at all times and an cheap LED bar across the windshield that's switched on at all times always makes my eye twitch a bit when pondering my next truck.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I just got a call from Volvo that one is coming in at the end of the week. Honest to god, I could do it.

Arguably one of my worst decisions ever, but I could do it. Just rapidly take the Subaru back to stock for sale and sell the parts.
I haven't been inside yet, I was just drooling when I pulled up. He just got it a week or so ago. He missed it last time, sounds like they are tough to get. His was shipped from SoCal.

The yellow seat belts and gold calipers are sharp.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
After all that work you've done? :rofl:
Omg. I might have actually scared her into me getting a Polestar.

With all the time I've spent on the Subaru in the last few weeks, she's scared I'm going to keep it for 10yrs. And she fucking hates that car. I might have just accidentally got myself into a Polestar. :rofl:

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I really like the Cadillac ct5 v blackwing, it comes in a 6 speed manual and is the last year of gasoline. I’m just not sure I need to go that fast. Might just get the twin turbo v6.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I really like the Cadillac ct5 v blackwing, it comes in a 6 speed manual and is the last year of gasoline. I’m just not sure I need to go that fast. Might just get the twin turbo v6.
I saw one in person the other day. It is a very clean car. Something seemed just *off*, but only from some angles, so maybe just a shaping/styling thing? Overall great looking car.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Seen in person and looks better than pictures. Blackwing may go up in value or at least not lose much, being a last gas/manual deal. Like CTS-V wagon.

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I saw one in person the other day. It is a very clean car. Something seemed just *off*, but only from some angles, so maybe just a shaping/styling thing? Overall great looking car.
I’m a fan so they mostly just look good to me. We also have the xt4 and really like it. You couldn’t have seen the blackwing though because it haven’t come out yet.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I’m a fan so they mostly just look good to me. We also have the xt4 and really like it. You couldn’t have seen the blackwing though because it haven’t come out yet.
It has been out testing in various camo in various places. I think i saw it in texas. Theres also the “V”, which is like the old v-sport.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Took a trip up to Mt Baker last week and on the way home got stuck behind a red F150 with Trump sticker going 20 mph under the limit. Probably for good reason as he had a bunch of unsecured lumber sliding around his short bed.

When I made a legal pass following all rules he swerved in my direction almost putting me into a guard rail. My buddy in the passenger seat nearly shit himself. I assumed he muttered some homophobic slur under his breath in regards to my un-manly compact car.
My buddy Denis and his husband Mark circumnavigate Mt Baker every year. They are badass. I enjoy their exploits.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
It's the new body style; I thought it was the blackwing.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Stoney, you know anything about Tuvo? Toshi suggested I ping you.
I looked into it when I had a lot of cars. The risk-reward for high dollar/power cars isn't there. For more bottom end cars, it might have value since there are limited rentals available. The amt of time spent delivering, getting, cleaning, etc the car really eats into the value of your takehome.
I'd probably just put the car onto low-mileage with your insurance and just drive it enough to keep it running. Or if you're willing to gamble it, see how much you can get for it used (since prices are through the roof used right now) then buy a replacement in a few years.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
So just the other day, dude is parked in the left lane going the speed limit or under. After a bit with him not moving over I go to pass on the right and of course he speeds up and blocks me. This goes on a few more times until I am able to pass by moving over two lanes to the right. Then he flips ME the bird.

You guessed it: A big ass coal-rolling RAM with a Trump sticker. Not only that but it was a black dude, who apparently likes to advertise that he supports white supremacy.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
So just the other day, dude is parked in the left lane going the speed limit or under. After a bit with him not moving over I go to pass on the right and of course he speeds up and blocks me. This goes on a few more times until I am able to pass by moving over two lanes to the right. Then he flips ME the bird.

You guessed it: A big ass coal-rolling RAM with a Trump sticker. Not only that but it was a black dude, who apparently likes to advertise that he supports white supremacy.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

Very common here. The last time it happened to me, it was a pair of yapping women in a Subaru covered with rainbow stickers.

People suck regardless of gender, religion or political affiliation.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My buddy had an '05 CTS-V (as well as an '05 C6) and that car was so fun. The 6 speed, the Recaro seats, it looks so good. It was only 6.2L NA, but it was the Z06 6 speed that made it so worth it. I would LOVE a new Blackwing. A 6 speed, the way God intended.

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
My buddy had an '05 CTS-V (as well as an '05 C6) and that car was so fun. The 6 speed, the Recaro seats, it looks so good. It was only 6.2L NA, but it was the Z06 6 speed that made it so worth it. I would LOVE a new Blackwing. A 6 speed, the way God intended.
ya I would love to have one. I don’t think it’s in the cards for me. One never knows how the cookie will crumble. I’m sure they need to be ordered though.