Quantcast

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
So close to what I was hoping it would be. Needs a bit less Frunk space and a bit more battery, and I'm not totally on board with the IRS, would have preferred a solid axle for towing. Still a damn cool truck, mostly because it's so bland and boring, no triangles or "bulletproof" windows.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
So close to what I was hoping it would be. Needs a bit less Frunk space and a bit more battery, and I'm not totally on board with the IRS, would have preferred a solid axle for towing. Still a damn cool truck, mostly because it's so bland and boring, no triangles or "bulletproof" windows.

Can't wait for something like this to become more mainstream: https://www.thewattcar.com/home/magna-announces-ebeam-solid-axle-electric-motor-module

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

The big battery is for 300 miles. How much range do you want/need anyway?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
All of it.

<edit> my truck gets about 400 miles per tank. I am getting about 8 days per tank. If I now have to plug my truck in while home every 6 to 7 days? That's a lot to ask, just saying.

Last edited:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
300 miles empty in ideal conditions on flat level roads, now fill it with people, dogs, bikes, and attach a trailer to it, what's the range? I'm guessing not 300 anymore.

My Taco will do 300 on a tank, it's annoyingly little, being able to charge at home would alleviate that to some degree since I'd no longer be forced to stop for gas every 5-6 days. However once I fill my truck with shit and a trailer, which I do often enough for it to really matter, I drop down to 150-200 on a tank, and it fucking blows, throw in a mountain or a head wind and things just get silly. 80% charge in 41 minutes is okay enough, assuming I can pull through a charger and not have to unhook the trailer. However if that 80% only gets me 125-160 miles of charge and I have to stop again for another 41 minutes, that's a problem.

In a perfect world I want to drive 3.5-4 hours @ 70mph with a loaded truck, and over a lunch break be able to get another 3.5-4 hours of driving's worth of electrons poured into my battery. Guessing the long range pack would be closer to 2-2.5 hours of driving between charges.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
300 miles empty in ideal conditions on flat level roads, now fill it with people, dogs, bikes, and attach a trailer to it, what's the range? I'm guessing not 300 anymore.

My Taco will do 300 on a tank, it's annoyingly little, being able to charge at home would alleviate that to some degree since I'd no longer be forced to stop for gas every 5-6 days. However once I fill my truck with shit and a trailer, which I do often enough for it to really matter, I drop down to 150-200 on a tank, and it fucking blows, throw in a mountain or a head wind and things just get silly. 80% charge in 41 minutes is okay enough, assuming I can pull through a charger and not have to unhook the trailer. However if that 80% only gets me 125-160 miles of charge and I have to stop again for another 41 minutes, that's a problem.

In a perfect world I want to drive 3.5-4 hours @ 70mph with a loaded truck, and over a lunch break be able to get another 3.5-4 hours of driving's worth of electrons poured into my battery. Guessing the long range pack would be closer to 2-2.5 hours of driving between charges.
This truck is not aimed at you. It is aimed at people who just "want a truck" but also want an EV. Not sure how big that market is... but Ford, presumably, has done some research.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Ok, you want to tow with it. That makes sense.

Save up for a Tesla Semi instead! the Megachargers will be pull through :D
Please, the concept of the Tesla RV makes so much sense it's silly. 500 miles on a charge, recharge overnight, repeat. You would rarely drive that far per day and charging while camping is a no brainer.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
But I like camping where there isnt electricity.

the future is standardized batterys thatcan be exchanged quickly. Then you don’t even own the battery, just pull up the the station, change out the battery, pays your money and leave.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
But I like camping where there isnt electricity.

the future is standardized batterys thatcan be exchanged quickly. Then you don’t even own the battery, just pull up the the station, change out the battery, pays your money and leave.
You’ll have to move to China for that level of common sense. Tesla already rejected the idea because Americans are too much ‘this is MY battery!’.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Shipping is so efficient, it usually costs 2-3% of the product to ship it halfway around the world.
If (by pure economics of scale) there is a supplier capable of processing stuff 5% cheaper (trivially easy, as volume savings can be as high as 40-80% for capital intensive stuff) that would be enough savings to do it.
Compound this with the effect of wholesale/distribution agreements (say, you were willing to risk it and invest and manufacture locally, but without distribuitors to absorb production the risk would be too big) ... and you get the world as we know it.
Yeah but at least we'd know that things were processed in a way that isn't as likely to poison the surroundings or use child labour, the lithium battery industry is no more ethical than the oil industry.

I got to play AC brushless E-forklift yesterday, speed sensor shit out.
So- mast off, disc brake off, final drive off, rip the motor out and replace the sensor bearing, yay!
Don't know why they couldn't have put a sensor in through the side of the housing so it could be easily replaced.
20210520_100915 (2).jpg

Last edited:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
This truck is not aimed at you. It is aimed at people who just "want a truck" but also want an EV. Not sure how big that market is... but Ford, presumably, has done some research.
I know, but I want to be their target demo. but I really, really want to not DD a gas car anymore, and having a dedicated commuter car doesn't make sense. I'm also extremely selfish and feel that Ford should have spent billions of dollars developing the perfect truck for me.

They're going to make a killing on these as fleet vehicles and selling them to local contractors. Really Ford is going to absolutely crush the fleet sales world with this, the Maverick and the various Transits.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Yeah but at least we'd know that things were processed in a way that isn't as likely to poison the surroundings or use child labour, the lithium battery industry is no more ethical than the oil industry.

So- mast off, disc brake off, final drive off, rip the motor out and replace the sensor bearing, yay!
Don't know why they couldn't have put a sensor in through the side of the housing so it could be easily replaced.
View attachment 160426
You should post it on empty beer as ebike maintenance instructions. :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

View attachment 160426

At work we recently had a poorly designed electric vehicle lose a speed sensor. The controller saw zero velocity and commanded maximum torque. Thankfully the operator shit himself and released the Deadman switch.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
At work we recently had a poorly designed electric vehicle lose a speed sensor. The controller saw zero velocity and commanded maximum torque. Thankfully the operator shit himself and released the Deadman switch.
Ooh damn, that is quite the oversight by the manufacturer.
This one made the faulty side hold position, so you'd go forward at 45deg very slowly and the faulty motor would get warm as it was taking ~175A to basically do nothing.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Ooh damn, that is quite the oversight by the manufacturer.
This one made the faulty side hold position, so you'd go forward at 45deg very slowly and the faulty motor would get warm as it was taking ~175A to basically do nothing.
It was a one off custom piece of equipment which usually means all the thorough testing and debugging happens in production.

:disgust1:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
All of it.

<edit> my truck gets about 400 miles per tank. I am getting about 8 days per tank. If I now have to plug my truck in while home every 6 to 7 days? That's a lot to ask, just saying.
The Bolt got about 180-200 per full charge. I had a standard 120v plug that was +3 miles/hr. I would just plug it in when I got home every night. I didn't really drive it on the weekend (family car instead) so it charged Sat and Sun. I ended up driving about 400 miles per week and never had concerns about running out of charge.
If you had a primary electric vehicle, you would have 240v. You wouldn't need to worry about running out of charge on a day-day basis. Probably 90% of truck owners, including contractors, could use an electric truck just fine.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
how could anybody buy one that is an automatic and live with themselves.
Because the PDK is the natural transmission for that car now. Old 911, sure, but I believe that certain transmissions are correct for the car. You had to be an idiot to buy a wrx 4EAT. But porsche DCT is commonly referred to as the best in the industry. That is the transmission for the porsches these days. Only the 911 RS3 is kind of ok with a manual, but I don’t think it really matches the modern porsches.

Last edited:

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Because the PDK is the natural transmission for that car now. Old 911, sure, but I believe that certain transmissions are correct for the car. You had to be an idiot to buy a wrx 4EAT. But porsche DCT is commonly referred to as the best in the industry. That is the transmission for the porsches these days. Only the 911 RS3 is kind of ok with a manual, but I don’t think it really matches the modern porsches.
So that’s how....

course I have no experience with this modern stuff. The dct in my Honda is rad though.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
If all you want is fast, sure. I STILL haven't taken my car to the track and yet I don't notice it taking 1.5 seconds longer to 60 than it would if it were PDK. Of course I wouldn't buy a slushbox Vette for driving, but I would still prefer 3 pedals over a DCT.

Its about interactive driving and driving experience, not lap times and 0-60 sprints. Yes, the PDK is faster, but I wouldn't call it "better".

The GT3 has a manual option for those who know what they are buying. The GT3 is best with the 6 speed.

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
There is nothing like approaching redline and a curve and lifting off the gas enough to slow for the turn, keeping rpms up, then back in the throttle coming out of the turn.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
You’ll have to move to China for that level of common sense. Tesla already rejected the idea because Americans are too much ‘this is MY battery!’.

c'mon 'murica. if you can do it with propane tanks you can do it with batteries!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
If all you want is fast, sure. I STILL haven't taken my car to the track and yet I don't notice it taking 1.5 seconds longer to 60 than it would if it were PDK. Of course I wouldn't buy a slushbox Vette for driving, but I would still prefer 3 pedals over a DCT.

Its about interactive driving and driving experience, not lap times and 0-60 sprints. Yes, the PDK is faster, but I wouldn't call it "better".

The GT3 has a manual option for those who know what they are buying. The GT3 is best with the 6 speed.
I got my car, the 1LE, because it was only offered in manual (they have since wussed out and now offer a 10spd auto) and i figured it was one of the last great raw driving experience cars, but for a cayman S or 911, id go DCT, that’s what they designed it around.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
There is nothing like approaching redline and a curve and lifting off the gas enough to slow for the turn, keeping rpms up, then back in the throttle coming out of the turn.
Modern autos do that in the kinds of cars we are talking about. In a dodge minivan, not so much.

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Modern autos do that in the kinds of cars we are talking about. In a dodge minivan, not so much.
I was unaware of that.I still stand by my statement though. The stick shift would be more fun for me, and I’ll have a hard time understanding otherwise.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

I can't see why you wouldn't want swappable batteries. Owning the battery is a huge downside to me.

how could anybody buy one that is an automatic and live with themselves.
Depends on how you want to drive it. If all you care about is speed, automatics today will do that better than a manual.

If you want to drive the car and be a part of the experience, which is IMO the best part of owning a sports car, the stick makes more sense.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The stick shift would be more fun for me, and I’ll have a hard time understanding otherwise.
:stupid:

I don't know how to brake with my clutch foot. What am I supposed to do with my left foot? I would have to relearn to drive. And also no heel/toe. Where is the fun in auto rev matching?