Quantcast

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Yeah, we definitely shouldn't do things like burn methane from organic waste, that would be bad.
Indeed it is bad but not as bad a raw methane release — ideally we absolutely wouldn’t be in this position in the first place where we’ve managed our organic waste so badly, but it is indeed better — right now — to burn methane than release it. However it should be done at very high temp with CCS tech attached.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Indeed it is bad but not as bad a raw methane release — ideally we absolutely wouldn’t be in this position in the first place where we’ve managed our organic waste so badly, but it is indeed better — right now — to burn methane than release it. However it should be done at very high temp with CCS tech attached.
Yes, but we’re at over 400 ppm CO2 and climbing, technology that doesn’t actually reduce this isn’t helpful. ‘CCS’ is BS.
Fixed

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
CCS technology when deployed at carbon point source production (such as a well planned and managed landfill, or a good modern waste-to-heat plant) can actually be cost positive (107% is the record I think) and carbon negative (as you can use waste heat to avoid other emissions too, although you could argue this is a ‘cheat’). Not too shabby though.
The payback is decadal though and whenever possible it is best to produce heat or power from renewables (of course) but in situations where there is a ‘locked-in’ carbon or methane release then it should be done.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My brother frenched the seats in his '60 C10 and I can't get over how great it looks. This whole build is ridiculous.

FB_IMG_1625707633533.jpg

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Hydrogen sports cars will, eventually, be light and clean and highly performant.

Nope, won't happen IMO. Hydrogen maybe for planes, ships, maybe for long-haul trucking...maybe, but for sports cars? No way. Battery cars are already eclipsing what ICE can do as far as performance.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke

Germany, Japan, Saudi, even the UK are arguably ahead of you on this path. I do love your ‘1 for 1 for 1’ plan though and I hope you can pull it off. As I said, as soon as this drops below the price of hydrocarbons watch shit go nuts.

Last edited:

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Yep. Not interested. I think I can get a better deal on the 2016 in Syracuse. Looking at a Acura in Lockport also. Why is Rochester the dead zone of Used Cars in Western NY? 0 inventory here. What makes a Car go off the Radar on Carfax?
Matthews is corporate and won't take the risk buying used inventory right now, Vision is probably one of the worst dealerships I have ever seen and all the others are too small to buy up inventory. West Herr is buying up dealerships left and right in your area, they should have some good stuff on their lots?
Pretty much anything you ask CARFAX about anything they give the same answer, "we can't tell you, it is a trade secret".

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I always wanted a hatch, until I got a trailer hitch. Now I'd honestly probably prefer a sedan.
The thing about the hatch is for the "in a pinch" situations. I don't intend on carrying a bike in the back of a hatch, just want the option.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Makes so much sense, as in every car should come like that, not just a few "4 door coupes". The VW Arty is also decent, a little bigger on the interior size.
I really like these features on Skodas, Czech VW sub-brand that is a bit cheaper than VW. Too bad they will never be seen in the US, they are pretty successful in EU and Asia.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I had an '81 2-dr "sedan" followed by an '81 2-dr hatchback. The sedan was a rusted-out shitbox, but the hatchback was... well, a clean shitbox. Went all over hell's half acre in those shitbox cars. :D
It was my folks first Toyota once most of the kids were out of the house. Around '86 they put a brand new crate motor in it and gave it to my sister when she went to UCSB. She managed to plow it into a row of parked cars rendering it DOA.

My folks upgraded to the first Camary. Then had like 6 more after that. :rofl:

/coolshitboxbro

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I actually see them fairly regularly, but this place has a very unamerican wagon to SUV ratio.
I was talking with somebody about how the v60 is likely on the chopping block next and he actually chided me because I got an Audi over the Volvo, but I was disappointed that they were getting rid of the wagons. He couldn't get over the fact that there is no AWD V60 between the Cross-county and Polestar, and that's exactly where the All-Road falls. I drove a v60 r-design and really liked it. A little under-powered (you can get that Polestar tuned cheaply to resolve that issue), but cosmetically really nice with good handling - BUT it's FWD only. Realistically, we would have spent a lot more time going back and forth between Volvo and Audi if an AWD R-Design had been available. It's just the $25k advantage the All-Road has over the P*.

I really would like a stupid car like the P*, but reality says I can get something in the All-Road range. So Volvo... Give me an in-between car. A $45-55k AWD, intermediate performance wagon. I don't NEED Ohlins. I don't need a custom, P* only interior. I don't need Brembo's. You can literally pick up a good chunk of the wagon market by just providing an AWD wagon, that isn't the same height as an Outback, for $45-55k. /rant

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I need brembos
Apparently our neighbor's Q7 had their brakes replaced about a year ago. Told Wifey if the All-Road gets there, I'm getting either Wilwood's or Brembo's. She didn't say no.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Adjusted for PAX?
Raw and Pax. Had a good run on my 3rd out of 4th on the 1st set. On my second set I couldn't match it. My front tires were folding over, so I kept adding pressure, but I dunno if it was making me slower. We had one real hard turn you were coming into from like 50-60 and slamming it into 1st (I have rev-match that makes it easy) and making a u-turn, but that loaded the hell out of the front tires. They showed the marks of folding over, so I kept adding pressure, but I kept getting slower. I tend to drive more and more aggressively with subsequent runs, which is probably also making me slower.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
After seeing the video of the GT3 Touring at Goodwood, I have to say that car with a 6 speed is the ultimate car. That is the perfect drivers car. Now I need to sell some organs.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I really like the look of most Porsche cars, then I hear that engine and want to vomit.

I hate triple motorcycle engines just slightly more.

After a week trip I want a bigger set-up, looked at current car prices, back to not buying anything.