StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Why does Porsche not make an electric 911?

The 911 is pretty much a highly refined bad idea. Slapping an electric motor in the wrong position would ruin that high level of refinement.

Actually just electrifying an existing platform would create so many compromises for any "performance" car that it doesn't make much sense. A high performance electric car deserves a dedicated architecture.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
@Westy This image is one we use a bit at work when we talk about hydrogen. A couple of important things to note. This should be regarded as ‘at today’s prices’ for a start and things will migrate upwards as cost comes down.
Second, we label the top as ‘inevitable’ and the bottom as ‘opportunities’. I think this is a more useful way to think about this.

DA414FCE-FBA5-41AD-B0B3-F494B9CC5E50.jpeg

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
@Westy This image is one we use a bit at work when we talk about hydrogen. A couple of important things to note. This should be regarded as ‘at today’s prices’ for a start and things will migrate upwards as cost comes down.
Second, we label the top as ‘inevitable’ and the bottom as ‘opportunities’. I think this is a more useful way to think about this.

View attachment 162182

The demand has never been in question, it is the supply. At least a supply that maintains the emissions benefit, which will never occur until clean sources of electrical energy are in such a surplus and cost benefit as to replace almost all fossil fuel sources. Why inefficiently generate and store hydrogen, build said infrastructure for automobile use when an electric vehicle can use the same electrical energy almost directly using existing infrastructure. Not to mention just replacing fossil fuel energy generation on the grid. H2 generation from hydrocarbon sources would also need to be banned. We will need to come to terms with how to retire economically viable hydrocarbon infrastructure and the global political force such organizations hold.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
All the things you’re saying are ‘right’ but when I’m talking to industry what you’re saying sounds like what they were saying five years ago. BTW making and storing hydrogen even now is as good as making and storing gasoline and still has a lot of potential efficiency upside whereas dinodeath is already optimised the fuck out of. Novel hydrocarbon production is actually just becoming ‘unacceptable’ even before carbon prices, which already exist and are rising in many jurisdictions and will only continue to grow. I personally expect within five years there will be genuine bans in progressive jurisdictions. But it probably won’t matter. The tide is turning, strongly, amongst major players. It just isn’t possible to justify new carbon in many many large multinationals. Even fucking Shell are into this shit now. The next investment cycle for any large asset will be conversion or exit. The problem is it’s already too late.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Was good to hear VW is still up to their normal shenanigans-
Volkswagen and BMW fined $1 billion for running emissions cartel

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
You mean when Porsche made their last race car and shifted the engine forward it wasn't a sign that it was imbalanced from the get-go?
~2min in.
Isn’t all of this just a trade off? Better for some things, less so for others.

For those that were around at the time, wasn’t this discussion was had in the 80s when the 944 which was reported to have better driving dynamics and seen as the future? However the 911 was the platform they decided to continue largely due to the heritage and shift in buyers from sport to grocery getters.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I really like the look of most Porsche cars, then I hear that engine and want to vomit.
Here's the thing, the best sounding car, even better than the guy with the previous generation 1LE and aftermarket exhaust, is a 718 with aftermarket exhaust. It's insane how this thing sounds, especially when it's bumping the rev limiter and doing a launch with launch control.

IME, it's all about the exhaust engineering. You can make almost any engine sound like anything and you can definitely make anything sound good, just has to do with the sizes of space and shapes that you give for resonance.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

For those that were around at the time, wasn’t this discussion was had in the 80s when the 944 which was reported to have better driving dynamics and seen as the future? However the 911 was the platform they decided to continue largely due to the heritage and shift in buyers from sport to grocery getters.
Everyone with an 911 somehow thinks that people will fit in the rear "seats".

People with no legs that don't need any room to breathe.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
and you can definitely make anything sound good, just has to do with the sizes of space and shapes that you give for resonance.
I question that statement. I've not heard a good sounding BMW in a very long time. They just sound..broken (maybe they are?).

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

There is some advantage to a true rear engine car. Good airflow for an air cooled engine, easy to maintain, better rear seat volume. All things that made a lot of sense on the original VW bug that the first Porsches were based on. What it doesn't give you is good driving dynamics, which honestly is the only important thing in a very expensive to purchase and maintain sports car.

When the Turbo 911s first came out they were known as widow makers, a little too much throttle in a corner and you would lose the rear end and unlikely to recover unless you were a pro level driver. Porsche has mitigated those problems since then with the application of AWD, traction control and putting significantly wider tires on the rear with a much wider track on the rear axle. While this does work, it does come at the expense of weight, complexity and cost.

I think most people would agree that the Cayman has a superior architecture and if allowed the same level of power and development would run circles around the 911.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I think most people would agree that the Cayman has a superior architecture and if allowed the same level of power and development would run circles around the 911.
Even if some people disagree, Porsche seems to agree with that, and when it comes to Porsches, Porsche knows a thing of two. Pretty sure everyone knows the story of zee Germans limiting the Cayman so as not to eclipse the 911.

The 911 has always been impressive because of just how good it is, and how well it drives despite being "entirely wrong" about pretty much everything. There's nothing else that's always been a top 2 or 3 sportscar on the market, despite all their competitors having the advantage of proper engine placement. Also since going water-cooled they're unbelievably reliable, the fact that a GT3 makes a decent daily driver, so much so that they sell a low key daily driver edition GT3 is pretty nuts.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Ironically, I actually saw one today, not an XC version, but the honest to goodness V90 in dark red. That's one wide and flat car.
Honestly I like the v90 xc better than the unlifted version. You can get it, albeit in a higher trim, with body color flares and it looks amazing. I want… but they are too expensive. The s90 can be had for 10k less

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
There is some advantage to a true rear engine car. Good airflow for an air cooled engine, easy to maintain, better rear seat volume. All things that made a lot of sense on the original VW bug that the first Porsches were based on. What it doesn't give you is good driving dynamics, which honestly is the only important thing in a very expensive to purchase and maintain sports car.

When the Turbo 911s first came out they were known as widow makers, a little too much throttle in a corner and you would lose the rear end and unlikely to recover unless you were a pro level driver. Porsche has mitigated those problems since then with the application of AWD, traction control and putting significantly wider tires on the rear with a much wider track on the rear axle. While this does work, it does come at the expense of weight, complexity and cost.

Don’t forget rear wheel steering. You can solve almost anything with exotic engineering, but you can do the same with cheaper and less complex stuff. I love the 911 shape, but it’s nothing that couldn’t be placed on a cayman chassis, that’s actually optimally balanced.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Actually, rear engine anything in airplanes is real hard to make work well as far as air cooled engines. Maybe the dynamic is different with cars, but in general it’s easier to get air to flow through the front of something rather than the rear.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Actually, rear engine anything in airplanes is real hard to make work well as far as air cooled engines. Maybe the dynamic is different with cars, but in general it’s easier to get air to flow through the front of something rather than the rear.

Good point. Not sure if that is true, just a lot of air cooled cars were rear engined, VW, Porsche, Fiat 500, Tatra, Corvair. And almost all rear engined cars had very small low power engines, which makes the arrangement for a modern sports car all the more confounding.

Airplanes try to use natural airflow or propwash while cars need to operate at idle and have dedicated cooling fans.