Quantcast

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Good point. Not sure if that is true, just a lot of air cooled cars were rear engined, VW, Porsche, Fiat 500, Tatra, Corvair. And almost all rear engined cars had very small low power engines, which makes the arrangement for a modern sports car all the more confounding.
Tatra 87 (2.5L V8) was one of the fastest production cars of its period.

Fun fact (a quote from Wikipedia): It was known, however, as the 'Czech secret weapon' because it killed so many Nazi officers during World War II that the German Army eventually forbade its officers from driving the Tatra. :rofl:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Tatra 87 (2.5L V8) was one of the fastest production cars of its period.

Fun fact (a quote from Wikipedia): It was known, however, as the 'Czech secret weapon' because it killed so many Nazi officers during World War II that the German Army eventually forbade its officers from driving the Tatra. :rofl:
Sounds like a 911 Turbo

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Ca power customer here, can confirm, Daily Wire took a little artistic license with the headline, but it's fairly accurate, got yet another letter about it from Edison yesterday. They really really want us to buy electric everything, then they shut off the power because we use too much of it.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
There is some advantage to a true rear engine car. Good airflow for an air cooled engine, easy to maintain, better rear seat volume. All things that made a lot of sense on the original VW bug that the first Porsches were based on. What it doesn't give you is good driving dynamics, which honestly is the only important thing in a very expensive to purchase and maintain sports car.

When the Turbo 911s first came out they were known as widow makers, a little too much throttle in a corner and you would lose the rear end and unlikely to recover unless you were a pro level driver. Porsche has mitigated those problems since then with the application of AWD, traction control and putting significantly wider tires on the rear with a much wider track on the rear axle. While this does work, it does come at the expense of weight, complexity and cost.

I think most people would agree that the Cayman has a superior architecture and if allowed the same level of power and development would run circles around the 911.
The 911 (and indirectly the Cayman) are cars that really dont resonate with me.
Like, I really would like to like them... I see them on track and they are both monsters..... but something doesnt click with me.

Maybe the squished vw bug look? the sound (except the GT3 which sounds amazing, others, not so much)? the power delivery?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Side note, car related, Holy shit gas is expensive again. $1.37 per liter for regular here.

The 911 (and indirectly the Cayman) are cars that really dont resonate with me.
Like, I really would like to like them... I see them on track and they are both monsters..... but something doesnt click with me.

Maybe the squished vw bug look? the sound (except the GT3 which sounds amazing, others, not so much)? the power delivery?
Saw a GT3 RS downshifting hard to a street light the other day.

What a sound...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Side note, car related, Holy shit gas is expensive again. $1.37 per liter for regular here.

Saw a GT3 RS downshifting hard to a street light the other day.

What a sound...
a friend will be selling his 911....

will be left with a GT3....a early 5 series sedan....a mid 80's 5 series sedan....and a later model 5 series wagon....

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Lol, in NZ it’s over $2/l for regular (91) and like $2.4x for premium (95 or 98).
i spent between 900.00 and 1k in gas while on vacation out west....anywhere between 3.50 to 5.60 a gallon....3100 miles of driving...felt like more

my fault for renting a nissan armada...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Lol, in NZ it’s over $2/l for regular (91) and like $2.4x for premium (95 or 98).
What was it a year ago? It was around 80 or 85 cents per liter here.

You'd think with Canada producing quite a bit of oil, we'd have a way to stop it from fluctuating so much. :rolleyes:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Things I will never want in a vehicle :
  • Convertible
  • Brown colour
  • Buick
I just saw a car that encompassed all three...

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
What was it a year ago? It was around 80 or 85 cents per liter here.

You'd think with Canada producing quite a bit of oil, we'd have a way to stop it from fluctuating so much. :rolleyes:
Pretty much the same. I think it has gone up a little but most of it taxes and the like.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Between this and Toshi's pick, it's a tough call. The Nissan at least is AWD, but the CVT is so bad. You can get the PT in a 5 speed manual.
Wrong. The Cross Cabriolet loses everything. Period.

PT in 5 speed, but also not mentioned is the turbo engine, often swapped into Neons (lol).