Quantcast

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Wait until part 2 of the story and we see what happens with the battery that is getting replaced. These EV cars are realllly green :no:
wrong.

(edited to add: I came here to post this article, and was thinking about how I was going to work it into the conversation. Something about how naysayers keep talking about battery production and disposal, blah blah blah.... luckily, I didn't need to figure out how to do that, it was served up to me on a silver platter! Turns out, battery re-use companies are having a hard time sourcing stock, so high is the demand for these batteries).

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
wrong.

(edited to add: I came here to post this article, and was thinking about how I was going to work it into the conversation. Something about how naysayers keep talking about battery production and disposal, blah blah blah.... luckily, I didn't need to figure out how to do that, it was served up to me on a silver platter! Turns out, battery re-use companies are having a hard time sourcing stock, so high is the demand for these batteries).
nah, they'll start throwing them in the ocean to put out the oil fires

1626716544168.png

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I am no new-car fanboy, but shit...I think the new Supra seems to nail it in so many categories at the same time.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
What’s the point? Speed limit is still 30km/h in my neighborhood.
Less than half a mile from my neighborhood is a series of twisties that are fun at 65ish.

I'm just happy it's NA and the flat plane crank is a huge bonus. Its where I see myself in 5 years.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Less than half a mile from my neighborhood is a series of twisties that are fun at 65ish.

I'm just happy it's NA and the flat plane crank is a huge bonus. Its where I see myself in 5 years.
Using public roads for fun/speeding seems incredibly unwise… particularly given this is a biking site. These overpowered cars appear more to be status symbols than anything else.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Using public roads for fun/speeding seems incredibly unwise… particularly given this is a biking site. These overpowered cars appear more to be status symbols than anything else.
Agree, agree and agree.
but they're also really fun, in the right environment.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It's enforced usually based on danger to the public. I can't stand the people that scream through our 25mph neighborhood. That's the dumbest shit ever, like shitting where you eat. The reason the speed limit is 25 isn't because you have to just go slow, it's for the stuff you can't plan for, kid or dog runs out from behind a bush chasing a ball, kids playing, etc. You can't react that fast and the bottom line is the danger to other people and property. As you go more rural, this reverses, you are basically endangering yourself. This is usually how enforcement goes. Usually, not always, but same thing with speeding on a crowded inner-city freeway. That's just insanely stupid, the people going 20mph above and zipping back and forth through traffic. Again, they are endangering other people. This is where careless or reckless charges usually come into it, those deal directly with endangering or hurting other people and property.

So eventually you get to the rural situation where you are usually only endangering yourself. That's where you can have a bit of fun and and where even when pulled over...often things are resolved with a warning. The risk isn't zero, but it is greatly reduced. Obviously there's no hard lines and a giant grey area, but these are the two extremes IMO. Same thing with finding an abandoned parking lot for donuts or to practice autocross, depending on the situation. Generally, the more people around, the worse. If you are going to speed and "have fun", the only way to do it is in situations where no one else would ever know, meaning you never endangered anyone because no one else was around...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
So eventually you get to the rural situation where you are usually only endangering yourself.
Come around any blind corner on a canyon road in Colorado and you're apt to see one or multiple road bikers grinding up the hill or flying down it.

Public roads are not racetracks. Keep that shit off the street (I know you do, Jm_).

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
It's enforced usually based on danger to the public. I can't stand the people that scream through our 25mph neighborhood. That's the dumbest shit ever, like shitting where you eat. The reason the speed limit is 25 isn't because you have to just go slow, it's for the stuff you can't plan for, kid or dog runs out from behind a bush chasing a ball, kids playing, etc. You can't react that fast and the bottom line is the danger to other people and property. As you go more rural, this reverses, you are basically endangering yourself. This is usually how enforcement goes. Usually, not always, but same thing with speeding on a crowded inner-city freeway. That's just insanely stupid, the people going 20mph above and zipping back and forth through traffic. Again, they are endangering other people. This is where careless or reckless charges usually come into it, those deal directly with endangering or hurting other people and property.

So eventually you get to the rural situation where you are usually only endangering yourself. That's where you can have a bit of fun and and where even when pulled over...often things are resolved with a warning. The risk isn't zero, but it is greatly reduced. Obviously there's no hard lines and a giant grey area, but these are the two extremes IMO. Same thing with finding an abandoned parking lot for donuts or to practice autocross, depending on the situation. Generally, the more people around, the worse. If you are going to speed and "have fun", the only way to do it is in situations where no one else would ever know, meaning you never endangered anyone because no one else was around...
No opportunity to mansplain will be missed!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
No opportunity to mansplain will be missed!
I seriously doubt everyone reading this is driving at or below the posted limit all the time. If you are, that's pretty amazing. If anything, most people are a few MPH above and as such, it gets pretty subjective and for one to judge the other, well it's only by your own standards I guess. I also see the reverse of this, people who claim you "can't go slower than x in this city on the highway" and every city that I've been to, that was largely bullshit. They might be going 5-10 above, but it's never the "you have to be going at least 80" that people always claim. There still comes a line IMO which is blatantly careless, but again, the impacts of that are much greater in populated areas/high density. I was just trying to explain the pattern of enforcement as I've seen it over the years. I got one ticket when I was younger, should have gotten another, but I got out of it in traffic school, but it's been well past a decade since all of that and this shit just isn't rocket science. I have people that come up to me every day and say "wow, if I had a car like that, I'd get tickets all the time" or "I wouldn't be able to keep from going fast". I just don't understand this shit. You have control, you make choices. It's not some mystery that the accelerator pedal makes the car go faster and there are giant gauges that tell you how fast you are going. This comes down to behavior and many people just don't get that the places they like to (or whatever justification they use) speed in are the places the police are looking for people speeding. It's not worth it.

Plus, this entire site is mansplaining.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I agree that speeding on public roads is dangerous. That is roughly the speed limit on that section of road (end 45 zone with no other posted speed) and there aren't many cyclist in my area other than me and the guy who owns the bike shop, maybe.

I don't use my car as a status symbol and this car is the natural progression of my last 2 cars (4th gen, then 5th gen, next is 6th, I have no interest in the 7th).

I appreciate the car for what it is. An American made sports car. They have done a good job with it, too.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Also, hilly twisties == :drool: in a car with good handling and acceleration even without necessarily going over speed limits
My drive to the golf course is up over the west hills. It's me, brodozers, and logging trucks, that's it. The biggest issue are deer and elk, and logging trucks that are empty. Those bastards are flying.

Screenshot_20210723-172134~2.png

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
If I had a dime for every time there's a perfectly good bike path and some jackass has a road death wish...

Not when I'm driving...when I'm riding my bike...on the path. It's the most confusing thing.
Every now and then you will see a confused roadie who missed a turn somewhere, but that trail is pretty epic and runs from Scappoosse all the way to Banks. The club is in Vernonia which is about half way and is basically the only town on the route.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

What I find is interesting around these parts is that the people that do not want others to speed and endanger their kids in their neighbourhood have no problem with speeding in other people's neighbourhoods. Speeding in road construction sites seems to be super common as well. To stay in your analogy, they shit where others eat. WTF is wrong with people? :mad:

I live pretty rural on a small, basically 1 1/2 car lane (if encountering oncoming traffic both cars have to go on the dirt/grass on the sides of the road) and especially on the weekend you see quite a bunch of city folks taking these small roads to give their fancy sport cars and motorcycles a whirl. One neighbour has never had a cat that got older than 3 years. Other neighbour has 3 small girls and his property is on both sides of the road. He is massively concerned and places these big plastic garden toys alongside the road so people are aware that kids live here. Did I mention that this is also a very popular road bike route and part of a national bike route? So you clearly can expect cyclists here.

The Danish parliament just recently passed a law to reduce "crazy driving". If you endanger people, speed 100% over the limit, are heavily drunk, etc. you face increased sentences and they can confiscate your car.

Last edited:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
What I find is interesting around these parts is that the people that do not want others to speed and endanger their kids in their neighbourhood have no problem with speeding in other people's neighbourhoods. Speeding in road construction sites seems to be super common as well. To stay in your analogy, they shit where others eat. WTF is wrong with people? :mad:

I live pretty rural on a small, basically 1 1/2 car lane (if encountering oncoming traffic both cars have to go on the dirt/grass on the sides of the road) and especially on the weekend you see quite a bunch of city folks taking these small roads to give their fancy sport cars and motorcycles a whirl. One neighbour has never had a cat that got older than 3 years. Other neighbour has 3 small girls and his property is on both sides of the road. He is massively concerned and places these big plastic garden toys alongside the road so people are aware that kids live here. Did I mention that this is also a very popular road bike route and part of a national bike route? So you clearly can expect cyclists here.

The Danish parliamanet just recently passed a law to reduce "crazy driving". If you endanger people, speed 100% over the limit, are heavily drunk, etc. you face increased sentences and they can confiscate your car.
I generally thought the Danes were quite good drivers around towns, on the whole. The rule abiding aspect was particularly good.
Getting on the E45 was a bit different though… 130 limit but actually 160kph in the fast lane or some Merc or BMW would be ‘GTFO’.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I generally thought the Danes were quite good drivers around towns, on the whole. The rule abiding aspect was particularly good.
Getting on the E45 was a bit different though… 130 limit but actually 160kph in the fast lane or some Merc or BMW would be ‘GTFO’.
Yes and no. Driving to close to each other on the highway and speeding are big issues causing accidents. In the last years the number of, what the call here, "crazy drivers" has gone up, hence the new law. In my area a couple of illegal street races did go wrong last year, also with non-participants getting injured. Drunk driving is an issue as well, especially around the holiday season.
People getting killed in traffic is pretty much stagnant the last years and still too high according to earlier predictions and government milestones.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

My buddy's dad "lost his grip" on a basketball when the guy who used to rip through our neighborhood came hauling ass through one day. It solidly smacked his hood then ricocheted up and shattered the windshield. Guy lost his shit, but when Tim offered to go inside and call the cops for a police report, the guy backed down. Apparently trying to explain why he was going too fast to stop for a basketball, let alone not having slowed down for kids in the street, wasn't on his to-do list. He always drove through slowly after that.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I thought the bare-bones, non-sport Mini Cooper we had was about as much car as I'd ever need for public roads without getting myself (or others) in trouble. It's not a sports car, but it was sport-y...and super-practical in the 4-door. Packed tons of crap in that little box.

Handled great on backroads, super-convenient to park in the city, fast and comfy enough to cruise at any sane highway speed and get there in a reasonably zippy fashion.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
If I had a dime for every time there's a perfectly good bike path and some jackass has a road death wish...

Not when I'm driving...when I'm riding my bike...on the path. It's the most confusing thing.
I see a confusing number of walkers and runners in the road when there's a perfectly good sidewalk right next to them. Still can't figure that one out.

I think I'm seeing increasing bad driving, particularly running of stop lights and signs, failure to stop for pedestrians, and general aggressive driving. The politzei seem to take no notice.
I seldom see police nabbing people for infractions other than speeding. I was at a red light one day and the guy behind me pulls into oncoming traffic to zoom past the line and through the light, right in front of a cop, and they didn't do a damn thing about it. WTF.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So the guy that drove the Short Bus in Phoenix for DH action at South Mountain, AZ, used to work for Local Motors. I had a few trips on the short bus. Great guy.

225129_657718450188_7735683_n.jpg

1627186764579.png

1627186834594.png

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
So the guy that drove the Short Bus in Phoenix for DH action at South Mountain, AZ, used to work for Local Motors. I had a few trips on the short bus. Great guy.

View attachment 162607

View attachment 162608

View attachment 162609

not sure about shuttle bus....

but

he was involved with design/production of car....

also owns a hemet 6x6 with camper mounted on back.