Quantcast

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
What 98% of the truck driving population should probably have, or the Ford Maverick or the Honda Ridgeline.
My dream is a small non x4 pickup, bench front seat no rear seat and EV (no long range required) or the other option is get an old one (you can find them in Denmark) but I just have no interest in messing with the required maintenance on an old car.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
My dream is a small non x4 pickup, bench front seat no rear seat and EV (no long range required) or the other option is get an old one (you can find them in Denmark) but I just have no interest in messing with the required maintenance on an old car.
Ford did make a Ranger EV along those lines in the early 90s.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Grown turbo-driving sport mode men in town: please explain the point of waste gate farting to keep your turbos spooled up as you go from stop sign to stop sign in a 30km/h zone. In case you’re wondering, that cute girl/guy on the sidewalk is not impressed.

I for one can’t wait for the all-electric future. Been saying this for 20 years.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
All turbo cars do it, it's not to keep the wastegate spooled up, it's to dump excess pressure. The rally cars that keep the turbos spooled up sound like backfiring constantly. The thing about the wastegate is most cars come with heavy factory silencing so you never hear it. Remove intake silencing and all of a sudden it becomes pretty evident. "Upgrade" to an aftermarket wastegate and it's often even louder. The aftermarket (loudest) wastegate is usually only needed when you run a much bigger turbo, to hold in the pressure/move against it. But again, the purpose is the opposite of "keeping the turbo spooled up".

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
All turbo cars do it, it's not to keep the wastegate spooled up, it's to dump excess pressure. The rally cars that keep the turbos spooled up sound like backfiring constantly. The thing about the wastegate is most cars come with heavy factory silencing so you never hear it. Remove intake silencing and all of a sudden it becomes pretty evident. "Upgrade" to an aftermarket wastegate and it's often even louder. The aftermarket (loudest) wastegate is usually only needed when you run a much bigger turbo, to hold in the pressure/move against it. But again, the purpose is the opposite of "keeping the turbo spooled up".
Thanks for the info. I was referring to the dumping pressure as you put it. I still look forward to our all/mostly electric future.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Launch control via the UTEC on my old, unreliable, but brutally quick WRX was super cool sounding. It also had flat foot shifting with that same violent deal and maintained pressure.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Thanks for the info. I was referring to the dumping pressure as you put it. I still look forward to our all/mostly electric future.
My WRX made the dumping noise, pretty audibly, after I switched to a subaru SPT short-ram intake. Lots of people in that community though thought you had to get an aftermarket BOV to "make the noise". Whether it's FI or NA, pretty much all cars have a great deal of intake silencing to cut down on noise. The FI cars, whether turbo or supercharged, tend to have more noise when this silencing is removed (than the NA cars) due to these spinning mechanical things attached to the induction air. If you try hard, you can often still hear this noise on well-silenced stuff like BMWs. It's just way way less prevalent. Also, most modern systems don't dump the pressure overboard anymore, but recirculate it back into the intake, (recirc valve), so you really got to go out of your way in the modern cars to make them "loud". As in that guy probably did it just for that purpose, nothing else. Those kind of mods do annoy me, as they don't do anything for performance. 98% of "intakes" don't either, the ECU simply doesn't let the car just "make more power" because you put on an intake or K&N or whatever. It just removes the stock silencing, car makes more noise, people assume more noise=moar power.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Grown turbo-driving sport mode men in town: please explain the point of waste gate farting to keep your turbos spooled up as you go from stop sign to stop sign in a 30km/h zone. In case you’re wondering, that cute girl/guy on the sidewalk is not impressed.

I for one can’t wait for the all-electric future. Been saying this for 20 years.
Are you sure that is the waste gate sound and not this obnoxious trend of popping exhaust sounds?

I'm a car nerd and love some good sounding cars, but god damn that crap sounds so bad.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Are you sure that is the waste gate sound and not this obnoxious trend of popping exhaust sounds?

I'm a car nerd and love some good sounding cars, but god damn that crap sounds so bad.
It’s all of the above, but yes. Popping when you let of the accelerator at 30km/h to coast to the stop sign.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My WRX made the dumping noise, pretty audibly, after I switched to a subaru SPT short-ram intake. Lots of people in that community though thought you had to get an aftermarket BOV to "make the noise". Whether it's FI or NA, pretty much all cars have a great deal of intake silencing to cut down on noise. The FI cars, whether turbo or supercharged, tend to have more noise when this silencing is removed (than the NA cars) due to these spinning mechanical things attached to the induction air. If you try hard, you can often still hear this noise on well-silenced stuff like BMWs. It's just way way less prevalent. Also, most modern systems don't dump the pressure overboard anymore, but recirculate it back into the intake, (recirc valve), so you really got to go out of your way in the modern cars to make them "loud". As in that guy probably did it just for that purpose, nothing else. Those kind of mods do annoy me, as they don't do anything for performance. 98% of "intakes" don't either, the ECU simply doesn't let the car just "make more power" because you put on an intake or K&N or whatever. It just removes the stock silencing, car makes more noise, people assume more noise=moar power.

The noisy BOV's dump to atmosphere where as the standard OEM setup recirculates air back to the intake plenum before the turbo. This also has the effect of an overrich state if the car uses a mass airflow sensor resulting in additional juvenile noises of exhaust pops.

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Minor correction, but not all turbo vehicles do it. Variable geometry turbo equipped vehicles don't require a wastegates.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Minor correction, but not all turbo vehicles do it. Variable geometry turbo equipped vehicles don't require a wastegates.
Yeah. There are a few, relatively new/limited tech, but I know at least Porsche is doing it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
lotta stuff going on. @dump I think it's people trying to look cool. There are people who think that sounds cool and makes their car faster, or both. nothing you can do other than to hurry up with the EV revolution

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
lotta stuff going on. @dump I think it's people trying to look cool. There are people who think that sounds cool and makes their car faster, or both. nothing you can do other than to hurry up with the EV revolution

Then people with EVs will modify their Pulse Width Modulation frequencies to make obnoxious noises.

One of the many reasons why I hate Siemens is that they run their servo motors at 8K Hz and the whine is fucking irritating.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Then people with EVs will modify their Pulse Width Modulation frequencies to make obnoxious noises.

One of the many reasons why I hate Siemens is that they run their servo motors at 8K Hz and the whine is fucking irritating.
My guess is most will not modify their EV sounds.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Just leaked that MB will stop delivery of all 2022 V8 models into the US. This includes vehicles already paid for/ordered - they will be refunded. Rumored primarily due to supply shortages but also meeting regulatory limitations.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Just leaked that MB will stop delivery of all 2022 V8 models into the US. This includes vehicles already paid for/ordered - they will be refunded. Rumored primarily due to supply shortages but also meeting regulatory limitations.
Supply chain.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Murican version looks a bit better imo, but I'd want an electron version if I were after a mini-truck.

santacruz.JPG

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Saw a Hyundai Ioniq 5 for the first time today, bit meh to be honest. Looks like an overinflated compact.

Won‘t somebody build me a boring electric wagon ffs? I don’t know of a single one, all the while everyone is cranking out one electric crossover after another, preferably Coupé shaped. VW ID7 is only a rumor so far, but I’d gladly take a GTX version if they bring one to market in the next two years.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Saw a Hyundai Ioniq 5 for the first time today, bit meh to be honest. Looks like an overinflated compact.

Won‘t somebody build me a boring electric wagon ffs? I don’t know of a single one, all the while everyone is cranking out one electric crossover after another, preferably Coupé shaped. VW ID7 is only a rumor so far, but I’d gladly take a GTX version if they bring one to market in the next two years.
Ergonomics. As much as I hate to admit it, SUV and crew-cab-trucks are far more ergonomic to get in and out of than even the best car. For anyone with mobility issues, such as someone older, this also comes into the fray. Visibility is generally better as well. It used to be there was a huge mileage discrepancy, since our 4-runner was usually in mid-teens for MPG, but now "crossovers" retain a lot of the ground clearance and ergonomic benefit without the huge hit in mileage and efficiency. For sure, there's probably something about short people wanting to be higher. It pisses me off every time I get into a vehicle previously driven by someone else (not even someone smaller) and the seat is jacked up all the way and the mirrors are turned into the body so they aren't functioning correctly. People are lazy and for the most part they just want the vehicle to take them from place to place.

No good news here, except when we are old and decrepit we will be able to have cars that drive us places, rather than relying on some sort of transportation service or getting out and braving the traffic when our skills can no longer support it.

The people who want to have their cake and eat it too, in terms of driving dynamics, storage/practicality and all are few and far between unfortunately.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Ergonomics. As much as I hate to admit it, SUV and crew-cab-trucks are far more ergonomic to get in and out of than even the best car.
Ford did address this directly, noting an h-point 4" higher in the Five Hundred as compared to its predecessor (and successor-via-renaming) Taurus.

Unless someone is paying to be fast no point in low h-points, imo.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Ford did address this directly, noting an h-point 4" higher in the Five Hundred as compared to its predecessor (and successor-via-renaming) Taurus.

Unless someone is paying to be fast no point in low h-points, imo.
When someone complains about low sports-cars or visibility on sports-car forums I post this picture. The car they are really asking for. The best ergonomics.
Ergocar2.jpg

And it's cousin,

slantnose.jpg