Quantcast

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yeah, I suppose they are going after a different market. I’m sure they are super fast on the track, but supercars on public roads is pretty nonsensical. Enjoy that 30km/h and speed bumps in my hood!

The corvette not looking like itself has probably been going on for 2-3 generations now… but this is coming from those who have seen it through many generations. My uncle who has one (2008?) said this to me. He pointed to the lack of round tail lights and the general angulation. This was prior to the mid-engine. It’s a whole new ballgame now. Such is life I suppose.
GM knew they were going to lose some long time fans with the new Corvette but didn't want to end up likey Harley and have a customer base that needed to have room in the trunk for a walker and a tank of oxygen.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
GM knew they were going to lose some long time fans with the new Corvette but didn't want to end up likey Harley and have a customer base that needed to have room in the trunk for a walker and a tank of oxygen.
Oh Harley. What would the US auto industry w/o nostalgia! Here’s looking at you too truckers.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Oh Harley. What would the US auto industry w/o nostalgia! Here’s looking at you too truckers.

Much easier to try and re-hash nostalgia from the last time you were relevant 50 years ago than to do something new and interesting.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
EVs have the worst markup around here. I looked into a tesla, delayed until March or April. Rav4 Prime is the worst with a 3-5K markup. I've heard mediocre things about the VW ID, and the mustang mustach-e is hard to find and very expensive. Haven't looked into the markup on those yet.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
anybody dealt with Carvana here? I might end up going that route as the markups are rolled right into the price.

I looked into the hyundai santa cruz...same deal, 3k markup. A used one is sitting 2k over MSRP right now...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
EVs have the worst markup around here. I looked into a tesla, delayed until March or April. Rav4 Prime is the worst with a 3-5K markup. I've heard mediocre things about the VW ID, and the mustang mustach-e is hard to find and very expensive. Haven't looked into the markup on those yet.
Dealers can get away with markup on top of markup (msrp) because people will pay it. “Scarcity”.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
And yet that bitch still fits 2 golf bags. #winning

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001

Summary: nyc has seen an increase in car crashes and deaths. A pedestrian is hit and killed by a car every three days in nyc. Calming measures have had some effect, but police have halved their traffic enforcement… and that appears to be the cause of the increase.

Somewhat crazy to me that heavy police enforcement is needed to keep drivers in line, but that’s the state of affairs.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Then there's this 16 year old shithead who hit a bunch of cyclists while trying to blast them with diesel brodozer exhaust and was not charged with anything.
unless you have other sources, your statement isn't exactly accurate. the article only states that as of sunday he has not been arrested. doesn't means charges won't be pressed. given the number of witnesses and that people were hospitalized, that may change. police are likely still investigating. "investigating"

also, people were airlifted. assuming those individuals have health insurance, those injured and their insurance companies will likely go after the driver to cover hospital bills, the helicopter flight, damages, p&s, lost wages, etc.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
anybody dealt with Carvana here? I might end up going that route as the markups are rolled right into the price.

I looked into the hyundai santa cruz...same deal, 3k markup. A used one is sitting 2k over MSRP right now...
If you are part of a CU, you can have them negotiate the price, no dealer markup. Can be worth joining a CU just for this. Also, waiting around for that manufacturer to be included in the Costco program, gets the vehicle to dealer invoice (which isn't really dealer invoice, but it's damn sure not ADMs either) and you can apply rebates/programs from there. There are some negotiating outfits I believe too and when we are talking about thousands of dollars, those are likely worth it.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
so.... a mechanic-related question for youz all. I've been noticing a throaty sound coming from the exhaust. brought it to a garage, and sure enough, he said the exhaust is cracked in two places. He's not 100% certain how bad it is, he didn't pull it off completely to diagnose, but he gave me two options:
1. put in a whole new exhaust - he said this could cost approx $2k.
2. pull out the exhaust, take it to a shop, and have them chop and replace the broken parts. cost for this would be in the $600 range.

I don't know enough about cars to know whether it is legitimate to chop out and replace a small part of the exhaust, or whether it's better to replace it completely.

The car is a 2013 CX-5 with a little over 130,000 kms on it (80,778 miles). I plan on keeping it at least another 2 years, if not more. (I'm hoping our current provincial government loses its next election, and is replaced by a government willing to implement an EV purchase incentive, which could be stacked on top of the Federal government's purchase incentive... this is a distinct possibility and has happened in the past. but stars must be aligned for this to happen).

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
so.... a mechanic-related question for youz all. I've been noticing a throaty sound coming from the exhaust. brought it to a garage, and sure enough, he said the exhaust is cracked in two places. He's not 100% certain how bad it is, he didn't pull it off completely to diagnose, but he gave me two options:
1. put in a whole new exhaust - he said this could cost approx $2k.
2. pull out the exhaust, take it to a shop, and have them chop and replace the broken parts. cost for this would be in the $600 range.

I don't know enough about cars to know whether it is legitimate to chop out and replace a small part of the exhaust, or whether it's better to replace it completely.

The car is a 2013 CX-5 with a little over 130,000 kms on it (80,778 miles). I plan on keeping it at least another 2 years, if not more. (I'm hoping our current provincial government loses its next election, and is replaced by a government willing to implement an EV purchase incentive, which could be stacked on top of the Federal government's purchase incentive... this is a distinct possibility and has happened in the past. but stars must be aligned for this to happen).
The welded fix, whilst lower cost and arguably climate impact is likely to rust more quickly than a fresh pipe. How much are your roads salted etc?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
hahahahahaha. a lot. :(

probably one of the most salted places in Canada. Roads tend to get salt from November through to April. Temps don't often drop below -20C, which is when places switch to sand.
my suggestion is to replace it. I had a rust hole on my infiniti's exhaust system. I had it welded and it held for a couple of years, but cracked again. I had to have it repaired a second time and eventually sold it. It always cracked when I was in the middle of nowhere so I had to listen to it until I got home, and kind of lived in the back of my mind while I owned it. I suppose the two repairs were far cheaper than a whole new exhaust, but it would have been resolved more completely with a new system.

My repair cost like $150/75, so the price discrepancy was huge...yours isn't.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
2k CAD doubloons seems like a lot. Not that I've had to get a replacement exhaust this side of the Atlantic, but I'm sure it only cost me a couple of hundred quid in the UK at an exhaust shop.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
OEM exhausts are a mess of heavy solid low quality steel. It's damn near cast-iron IME.

Aftermarket can often be had with high quality SS or similar materials ,dropping weight and providing more resistance to elements.