Quantcast

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

kind of relevant for many of us North Americans who live with the constant threat of wildlife jumping out on the road.

what got me was the tires... holy hell can they ever take some serious abuse...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

kind of relevant for many of us North Americans who live with the constant threat of wildlife jumping out on the road.

yes I often encounter moose on my daily commute. Also, brakes? This is a cute test asking for a purpose...pretty sure you should apply brakes in a controlled manner and steer around as best as possible. Not to mention the natural agility of moose, appearing out of nowhere and staying completely still. "Ninja of the woods" they call them.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I tell ya, I'd love to scoop up a mach-e, but dealers sure don't make it easy. I could get on board with the whole "this is what you will pay" tesla thing, if their service network wasn't even more trash than Alfa.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
yes I often encounter moose on my daily commute. Also, brakes? This is a cute test asking for a purpose...pretty sure you should apply brakes in a controlled manner and steer around as best as possible. Not to mention the natural agility of moose, appearing out of nowhere and staying completely still. "Ninja of the woods" they call them.
While the "moose test" is based around that at 35mph, I got to do this test at around 75mph when the car ahead of me swerved off an exit late for me to see something the size of a fridge laying on it's side in my lane. I know the normal rules are to hit and deal with the repercussions, but at a certain size hitting it can be worse - elk? moose? fridge? all really bad to hit. I'm quite confident if I had been in Wifey's QX60 or my Forester the end result either way - hit or avoid - would have ended poorly. The only reason it ended well was because I was in the M, which is properly equipped (tires, suspension, etc) to handle that type of evasive maneuver at speed. After that, I kinda want to know if the car can handle evasive maneuvers at speed...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
They ain't like deer, actin all nimbly bimly and trottin. The moose I know would do exactly just that, freeze. Hell, I swerve like that for giant potholes.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I tell ya, I'd love to scoop up a mach-e, but dealers sure don't make it easy. I could get on board with the whole "this is what you will pay" tesla thing, if their service network wasn't even more trash than Alfa.
funny, I was reading about this very thing just the other day: https://cleantechnica.com/2021/07/19/ford-mustang-mach-e-buyer-shares-horrible-dealership-experiences-extreme-price-markups-random-1000-dealership-fees-enraged-salespeople/

Dealerships are proving to be one of the biggest stumbling blocks for EV adoption.

It's not just moose though, right? There's all sorts of critters in the woods here that we have to contend with, that they don't see in Europe at all. Moose, deer, elk, racoons (I've swerved to avoid one, but if doubled back and got wrapped up in my wheel well), not to mention the climatic conditions destroying roads seasonally with massive potholes...

I think this is a valid demonstration of why North America's infatuation with CUVs and pick-ups is daft. The "they're safer" line is total bull, IMHO. My next car will not be a CUV - if I can avoid it. Seems like that's all that's being made for the "family" segment.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
If you really want one you can go with Granger Ford in Iowa and have it shipped. They're straight shooters from what I've read.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
While the "moose test" is based around that at 35mph, I got to do this test at around 75mph when the car ahead of me swerved off an exit late for me to see something the size of a fridge laying on it's side in my lane. I know the normal rules are to hit and deal with the repercussions, but at a certain size hitting it can be worse - elk? moose? fridge? all really bad to hit. I'm quite confident if I had been in Wifey's QX60 or my Forester the end result either way - hit or avoid - would have ended poorly. The only reason it ended well was because I was in the M, which is properly equipped (tires, suspension, etc) to handle that type of evasive maneuver at speed. After that, I kinda want to know if the car can handle evasive maneuvers at speed...
They ain't like deer, actin all nimbly bimly and trottin. The moose I know would do exactly just that, freeze. Hell, I swerve like that for giant potholes.
funny, I was reading about this very thing just the other day: https://cleantechnica.com/2021/07/19/ford-mustang-mach-e-buyer-shares-horrible-dealership-experiences-extreme-price-markups-random-1000-dealership-fees-enraged-salespeople/

Dealerships are proving to be one of the biggest stumbling blocks for EV adoption.

It's not just moose though, right? There's all sorts of critters in the woods here that we have to contend with, that they don't see in Europe at all. Moose, deer, elk, racoons (I've swerved to avoid one, but if doubled back and got wrapped up in my wheel well), not to mention the climatic conditions destroying roads seasonally with massive potholes...

I think this is a valid demonstration of why North America's infatuation with CUVs and pick-ups is daft. The "they're safer" line is total bull, IMHO. My next car will not be a CUV - if I can avoid it. Seems like that's all that's being made for the "family" segment.
y'all are missing my point. It's not that moose don't exist, nor that we shouldn't try to not hit them. It's that swerving out of your lane and back into your lane without braking is stupid. Slam on the brakes and go straight. Brake controllably and slide into the next lane. Don't brake at all and just change lanes quickly. But not braking at all, slamming into the left lane then slamming back into the right seems like a test designed to fail.

Trust me, I want to avoid a CUV as much as possible, but it's not possible anymore. I want a midsize sedan that doesn't handle like a brick and isn't german or italian....there's just nothing out there.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
If you really want one you can go with Granger Ford in Iowa and have it shipped. They're straight shooters from what I've read.
I have been probing multiple dealers around here, I finally had one say "We don't markup our cars". I'll give them the business if I go that route...Everyone else was like "Come on down!" and made no mention of markup. I just want to know if they're charging over MSRP. I understand in this market that MSRP is gonna be the best i can do...but hey

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
y'all are missing my point. It's not that moose don't exist, nor that we shouldn't try to not hit them. It's that swerving out of your lane and back into your lane without braking is stupid. Slam on the brakes and go straight. Brake controllably and slide into the next lane. Don't brake at all and just change lanes quickly. But not braking at all, slamming into the left lane then slamming back into the right seems like a test designed to fail.

Trust me, I want to avoid a CUV as much as possible, but it's not possible anymore. I want a midsize sedan that doesn't handle like a brick and isn't german or italian....there's just nothing out there.
In the situations like that I can remember, there is no time to brake, there is just no distance. You can turn the wheel, but getting your foot on the brake and braking would be too late.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I have been probing multiple dealers around here, I finally had one say "We don't markup our cars". I'll give them the business if I go that route...Everyone else was like "Come on down!" and made no mention of markup. I just want to know if they're charging over MSRP. I understand in this market that MSRP is gonna be the best i can do...but hey
Come on down and see our great deals!

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Saw this nice Corrado. Upon closer inspection, the door handles and keyhole have been removed. How does one enter this car?
6B27CEFF-6143-4EF6-B84A-05A28F7B4F96.jpeg

C60A1CA6-82CC-4B41-B215-AB92BAB51F38.jpeg

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
In the situations like that I can remember, there is no time to brake, there is just no distance. You can turn the wheel, but getting your foot on the brake and braking would be too late.
one time the hood of the vehicle in front on of me on a highway broke off and became airborne. there was no braking to avoid it. only swerving.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

oh wait

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
and that pops open the door as well? This is like a 1990 car, back when everything had handles and keyholes.
Yeah shaving door handles and holes was a thing before Tesla and Ferrari/McLaren etc etc starting doing it. Though with the latter, they still usually have ways to open the doors should the battery die..

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
and that pops open the door as well? This is like a 1990 car, back when everything had handles and keyholes.
Yeah shaving door handles and holes was a thing before Tesla and Ferrari/McLaren etc etc starting doing it. Though with the latter, they still usually have ways to open the doors should the battery die..
The custom car/truck scene has been doing this for many, many decades.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
apparently mazda is coming out with an RWD platform alongside their straight six. That would be a slick car. Something about slushbox FWD sedans does nothing for me...that being said, the Mazda3 is more appealing. AWD hatchback? Seems neat.

The accord is on my list. There's a six speed for the right price, but it's a little far away...and in another state.

I wish the stinger 2022 was what they came out with in 2018. That four cylinder looks great, just pretty expensive for what it is.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
HOLD THE PHONE

I was going to say LOL what about some GM product and then found this, which I didn't know existed... I'm assuming this is a refreshed ATS-v essentially?

Canaderp website, but that price seems decent for a nearly 500hp Cadillac. And is has a 6 speed manual transmission!!!!

I am actually kind of shocked at this.

Although maybe I'm blind, but I don't see anywhere where they mentioned if its RWD or AWD??? :confused:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
HOLD THE PHONE

I was going to say LOL what about some GM product and then found this, which I didn't know existed... I'm assuming this is a refreshed ATS-v essentially?

Canaderp website, but that price seems decent for a nearly 500hp Cadillac. And is has a 6 speed manual transmission!!!!

I am actually kind of shocked at this.

Although maybe I'm blind, but I don't see anywhere where they mentioned if its RWD or AWD??? :confused:
1633394586153.png

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
apparently mazda is coming out with an RWD platform alongside their straight six. That would be a slick car. Something about slushbox FWD sedans does nothing for me...that being said, the Mazda3 is more appealing. AWD hatchback? Seems neat.

The accord is on my list. There's a six speed for the right price, but it's a little far away...and in another state.

I wish the stinger 2022 was what they came out with in 2018. That four cylinder looks great, just pretty expensive for what it is.
I think the mazda3 is great. Have it in the awd, sedan version.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

I did a swerve similar to that in my work truck, people overtook me then jammed on the brakes to avoid some ducks.
I was pretty surprised to see I had rub marks over half the way up the sidewall on my light truck tires. I don't think I was too far from going over as the truck has 100L of oil up high and a heavy hyd workbench behind the rear axle, little truck had some good angle.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Same price as a cheap Tesla, has less features, it says Polestar but is pretty slow and it's made in China, should sell well-
1633433810225.png

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I did a swerve similar to that in my work truck, people overtook me then jammed on the brakes to avoid some ducks.
I was pretty surprised to see I had rub marks over half the way up the sidewall on my light truck tires. I don't think I was too far from going over as the truck has 100L of oil up high and a heavy hyd workbench behind the rear axle, little truck had some good angle.
They should just run the ducks over next time:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
As I understand it, a motorcyclist collided with a vehicle stopped for whatever reason. One is supposed to drive reasonably, maintaining control of one's vehicle. Absent more information, I would deem the fault to be that of the motorcycle operator.
I think that is pretty much the entire story, it is definitely a difficult situation to fully take in both sides.

One one hand yeah, anyone driving should be under control and have situational awareness of what it going on around them. What if it had been a couch?

On the other hand, this person stopped their car in the live left lane of a divided freeway which is a huge no no. Its also an act that is completely out of the ordinary, given that its a divided controlled freeway.

I mean either way... :(

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Same price as a cheap Tesla, has less features, it says Polestar but is pretty slow and it's made in China, should sell well-
View attachment 165633
Maybe the appeal is that it's not a tesla? Fit an finish is better... different look/design/packaging? In what world is "pretty slow" 0-60 in 4.x seconds? That's fast enough for most.

Funny thing, last week I saw a family go up to the wrong white tesla and was suprised it didn't open. They then realized theirs was down the row a bit further. Reminded me that the color options are pretty limited w/ Tesla... and quite tame at that. Lots of teslas in montreal.