Quantcast

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Got my rusty pile to the point where it runs and drives down the street without endangering innocent bystanders. Next up is to throw the 40's under it and go for a shakedown run at the local 4x4 spot.

Jeep TJ for scale:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My uncle mentioned knowing a couple that flies their ferraris to various classic car rallys around the country/world.
Yeah, I was watching some big Ferrari get together and you know 90% of the rides there got there on the back of a truck.

There is a torch red '96 LT4 Corvette in a garage on my dog walk route. It has 32k miles on it and rain has never touched it. He didn't take it out once this year. I don't get it. I keep telling him they are really fun to drive. His especially. :rofl:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Most of the local school buses are electric. Made by Lion Electric: https://thelionelectric.com/

94B6D762-5F77-4368-9637-166BC2FD8AD5.jpeg

I recall distinctly as a kid waiting to board the school buses while they idled, getting headaches from the fumes. This is an improvement.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
It's got dark side-skirts, so it's likely lower than it looks in the picture. Plus, lowering a car to the point where the suspension is no longer functional is dumb.
more to do with the stupid fucking wagon wheels that come on cars that throw shit out of proportion...

bmw gets the ride height on their cars perfect right out of the box....

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
more to do with the stupid fucking wagon wheels that come on cars that throw shit out of proportion...

bmw gets the ride height on their cars perfect right out of the box....
My xdrive 430i gran coupe looked like an outback stock, huge wheel gap. To make the x-drive versions, they basically lifted the cars to clear the front AWD drivetrain bits/shafts. For a long time, they never offered a sporty suspension setup on the 3/4 x-drive cars. They did on the 5s, but not the 3/4. Now you can finally get this on the 3/4s with the newest generation AFAIK, but BMW was not "perfect right out of the box"....not by a longshot. They also do the incredibly ridiculous big wheels on cars, not even their giant cars, but their small ones.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Most of the local school buses are electric. Made by Lion Electric: https://thelionelectric.com/

View attachment 165662

I recall distinctly as a kid waiting to board the school buses while they idled, getting headaches from the fumes. This is an improvement.
I did my apprenticeship on buses, I loved the old ones because they would fill the pit with diesel fumes, I love the smell of diesels with no particulate filters.

There's an EV company near me that just got a 20M dollar Gov grant.
They have been retrofitting a few larger machines with battery systems, there is a 20t loader but a dump truck would be pretty sweet, you'd have regen the whole way down the mine rather than an eddy current brake or whatever they use now.
They'll still be charged by coal fired power stations here for quite a while yet.
1633598690931.png

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Assuming combined 28mpg vs. 20mpg, both premium, that's a $.05/mile difference in running costs. At $8k less expensive, you need to run it 160k miles to offset the px difference. Costwise, get the Genesis. From a @Changleen perspective, get the CX-5 if those are the only options you'll take.
I'm moving this over here because car thread.

The Genesis likely gets 19mpg combined, the CX5 24 (turbo AWD model) and the giulia 26. The CX5 and Genesis can take regular, which is what I would do. The giulia needs premium (91+).

Based on the difference between premium (3.79 est out here) and regular (3.19) and MPG, I'd spend ~$200 more per year with the V8, assuming 10k miles (likely an overestimate of my use). The CX5 would save $350 over the Genny. That puts it more at 0.035$ per mile, and 22.8 years to balance out the cost between the two.

I'm not married to either car, and I know that the V8 is the passionate/less realistic choice. Regardless, I want a midsize car or SUV, preferably RWD biased, no CVT unless it's hybrid. I want to avoid german unless it's certified (and even then...no thanks). New is likely out of the question because of the insane markups ($3k over MSRP on a kia???) and electric is a dicey proposition because I've got to spend to get range and want to stick with a mid-size car which puts me out of the compact leaf/bolt/i3 options. I've gravitated toward the Genesis because it's a larger midsize car, has all the options I want, and I had such a good experience with my FX35 (another Asian aspirational car) that despite the shitty mileage, the other boxes are ticked.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
well yeah, but it ticks enough other boxes. Options for true RWD based midsize SUVs are very slim. Stelvio, QX70, Grand Cherokee, GV70/80? Ones that sit at or under 30k are slimmer....
Is this some kind of game where you win by ending up with a null set? See honey, I tried… they just don’t have what we need!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Is this some kind of game where you win by ending up with a null set? See honey, I tried… they just don’t have what we need!
LOL you aren't wrong, but the real problem is inventory right now :( I'm willing to bend, but it would be great to find something that doesn't TOTALLY give up the sensation of fun. Even the wife's ascent can get out of its own way, even if it feels like a boat during the process.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
LOL you aren't wrong, but the real problem is inventory right now :( I'm willing to bend, but it would be great to find something that doesn't TOTALLY give up the sensation of fun. Even the wife's ascent can get out of its own way, even if it feels like a boat during the process.
I suggest driving some cars if you haven’t already. Even if they are new.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
If there is one Porsche worthy of @jdcamb it's this one. I bet it's pretty fast, too.

Thanks for thinking about me. All I ever really wanted in life was Pablo Escobars Porsche. I shouldn't have put that on you folks. Sorry. I am weak. I know. If any of you fuckers wins the lottery. And I find out. I will expect you to buy me a Porsche. Or a Toyota Hilux as the Porsche wouldn't be very practical in Peru or Panama....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Thanks for thinking about me. All I ever really wanted in life was Pablo Escobars Porsche. I shouldn't have put that on you folks. Sorry. I am weak. I know. If any of you fuckers wins the lottery. And I find out. I will expect you to buy me a Porsche. Or a Toyota Hilux as the Porsche wouldn't be very practical in Peru or Panama....

Just a reminder that Ferdinand Porsche was a Nazi. Henry Ford may have been a nazi sympathizer, but Ferdi was a card carrying member.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Just a reminder that Ferdinand Porsche was a Nazi. Henry Ford may have been a nazi sympathizer, but Ferdi was a card carrying member.
I have met a few Monsters in my life. None of them have driven a Porsche. All of them have eaten Bacon however.