Quantcast

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

Soon, since the R1T is rolling off the line already.
I will never get her onboard with that - the fascia is ugly as sin. People want traditional cars, but electric. Not space machines.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I will never get her onboard with that - the fascia is ugly as sin. People want traditional cars, but electric. Not space machines.
but manufacturers want you to want space machines. This is one of the things that bugs me about electric cars. Very few people are making dedicated electric cars that are normal, too. The mach-e comes close, except for the tablets glued to the dash.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Don't underestimate the allure of green virtue signalling.
I'm sure the 24 miles a day that I drive will make a dramatic global impact by switching to electric. It may cost me $25k over a regular car, but cork dashboard! Vegan leather! Elon Musk is even richer than he's ever been!

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Don't underestimate the allure of green virtue signalling.
I'm sure the 24 miles a day that I drive will make a dramatic global impact by switching to electric. It may cost me $25k over a regular car, but cork dashboard! Vegan leather! Elon Musk is even richer than he's ever been!
man, you two are something else with your hate of Musk/Tesla.

The way I see it, for ten years or so, his cars were the only real viable electric options. If you are convinced that climate change is an issue worth addressing, and are willing to do something about it, there weren't too many options on the market, megalomaniac billionaire at the helm or not.

I'm not a huge car enthusiast. I don't really care about luxury or looks or whatever. I mean, I can appreciate the thrill of driving fast, and the sportsmanship of racing cars, but for me, in my driveway, it's a means of getting places. And I care about climate change. So when it comes time to replace my current car, my next one will be electric. If the only feasible option at that time is still a Tesla, then I will swallow my distaste for Musk and bite the bullet.

I think the biggest advantage Tesla has isn't it's cars, but it's charging network. Everyone else has a shit-ton of catching up to do. At least here in North America.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
There seems to be a subset that equates interior quality with the number of flippy-switches and levers inside the cabin.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

The way I see it, for ten years or so, his cars were the only real viable electric options. If you are convinced that climate change is an issue worth addressing, and are willing to do something about it, there weren't too many options on the market, megalomaniac billionaire at the helm or not.

I'm not a huge car enthusiast. I don't really care about luxury or looks or whatever. I mean, I can appreciate the thrill of driving fast, and the sportsmanship of racing cars, but for me, in my driveway, it's a means of getting places. And I care about climate change. So when it comes time to replace my current car, my next one will be electric. If the only feasible option at that time is still a Tesla, then I will swallow my distaste for Musk and bite the bullet.

I think the biggest advantage Tesla has isn't it's cars, but it's charging network. Everyone else has a shit-ton of catching up to do. At least here in North America.

I’m not even going to apologize for it. I applaud Tesla for speeding adoption of BEVers. I still think they are junk for people with too much money.

I would rather take the 25k that I’m not spending on a Chevy spark with a flammable battery pack glued to the bottom and instead buy some solar panels and an efficient heating system. Then, when I’m producing more than enough electricity to fuel a BEV, I will consider replacing my very clean and extremely regulated gas engine with a fully BEV.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I would rather take the 25k that I’m not spending on a Chevy spark with a flammable battery pack glued to the bottom and instead buy some solar panels and an efficient heating system. Then, when I’m producing more than enough electricity to fuel a BEV, I will consider replacing my very clean and extremely regulated gas engine with a fully BEV.
but is it an either/or proposition?

I've had the same thought process. But the issue here where I live is that pretty much 100% of our electricity comes from hydro. So doing solar isn't going change my footprint much (in fact, it might increase it). I could ditch my natural gas water heater and switch to electric, along with my home heater (but it's only 2 years old now, and I'm not even sure electric central heating exists here). I've already redone the windows in my house, and I'm looking into redoing, or adding insulation into the ceiling. I've also chosen to live in a small house, downtown so we don't need two cars, or the car for basic errands.

Anyways, enough about me. My only point, is that it's not necessarily an either/or, and the order of priority is likely entirely dependant on location...

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

I don't give a crap about Musk or Tesla but the range anxiety is real and it kills the flow of traffic on the roads I drive on. I believe the net carbon effect is deeply negative around these parts.

I find it quite amusing that the cars capable of the fastest acceleration on the market are those that move around the slowest.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
but is it an either/or proposition?

I've had the same thought process. But the issue here where I live is that pretty much 100% of our electricity comes from hydro. So doing solar isn't going change my footprint much (in fact, it might increase it). I could ditch my natural gas water heater and switch to electric, along with my home heater (but it's only 2 years old now, and I'm not even sure electric central heating exists here). I've already redone the windows in my house, and I'm looking into redoing, or adding insulation into the ceiling. I've also chosen to live in a small house, downtown so we don't need two cars, or the car for basic errands.

Anyways, enough about me. My only point, is that it's not necessarily an either/or, and the order of priority is likely entirely dependant on location...
Yes, it is an order of priority. I’m glad you are 100% done with fossil fuel and that none of your natural gas comes from fracking. Many of us are not. I have oil heat. There are no catalytic converters nor egr valves on my boiler. I would rather kick oil to the curb on my boiler than my car. I also would prefer to switch to 100% green energy, whether it’s by my provider for and additional cost or my roof, than buy an expensive electric car that is still fueled by coal somewhere down the line and will likely end up outdated in two years. Much better ways of attaining the same goal is all I’msaying.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It's only for a couple years, they realized what an awful idea it was. Unfortunately for the '21-'22's. :rofl:
2019 camaro was same way, big happy-face gap and the next year they tightened it up due to overwhelming disgust. I might consider an M3 touring if they every brought it over here...without the beaver-tooth.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i saw a i8 yesterday in a color that resembled bass boat green...

the tire width reminded me of the skinny ass tires that csme on the base model honda crx's...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
2019 camaro was same way, big happy-face gap and the next year they tightened it up due to overwhelming disgust. I might consider an M3 touring if they every brought it over here...without the beaver-tooth.
The wife shut down the wagon. She said if I'm getting another sports car, it needs to at least be hot. She's not a fan of either the Porsche or Audi, so I hope the Tesla Roadster doesn't suck. :rofl:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
There seems to be a subset that equates interior quality with the number of flippy-switches and levers inside the cabin.
I liked the power and handling of the Tesla. I like having knobs. I like being able to reach down, know where my volume knob is by feel and turn it of the switch for the temp adjust. I don't have to look off the road to make a change. I prefer the cockpit layout of a traditional car and that is what drives me towards the electric cars that have that design. You can however feel quality between different type of knobs and switches, let's be honest here.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
There's a guy with a riced out S4 that just hooned off of a light about 1 mile away. Loud as fuck and I heard it clearly from here. Drives like an asshole and not even in an " I spend a lot of the time at the track but can't tell the difference" way, just a poor driving asshole. He just got pulled over.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
The wife shut down the wagon. She said if I'm getting another sports car, it needs to at least be hot. She's not a fan of either the Porsche or Audi, so I hope the Tesla Roadster doesn't suck. :rofl:
Wifey has given up on me with wagons. She knows it is a permanent losing battle, so just goes with it now. That the All-road will get a tune when it's out of warranty, better rubber and wheels as the tires wear, and maybe eventually some better brakes and stiffened suspension (sways, maybe). As long as I keep it quiet, and I will, she pretty much doesn't care.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
You can however feel quality between different type of knobs and switches, let's be honest here.
Sometimes. I say sometimes because as an absolute, you are correct, but I also see incredible bias with car reviewers and IME a lot of what they say is generated from this, not the absolute or objectives. I watched one say more than half these switches are plastic". I counted said switches, it was like 7 were plastic, 13 were aluminum. That's the thing that I can't really get past in reviews and the perceptions. A lot of this has been blown out of the water and now trucks come with interiors only seen on BMWs, or whatever. Everything is upside-down any anything is possible.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
There's a guy with a riced out S4 that just hooned off of a light about 1 mile away. Loud as fuck and I heard it clearly from here. Drives like an asshole and not even in an " I spend a lot of the time at the track but can't tell the difference" way, just a poor driving asshole. He just got pulled over.
So I was exiting my residential neighborhood in my Stinger today and someone is riding my ass. It's 25mph, but it's pretty straight to the main thoroughfare. There are always walkers out though or a kid that might dart out. What blows my mind is I'll stick my hand out and wave someone by and they'll gun it over the double lines and around me. I can't help but laugh... I'll laugh more when they are trying to explain to a cop after an accident how I "waved them around" and they went for it...seriously, I can't stop laughing when people do this (after I wave them). I had a "taker" today and I guess they had some real important shit to do...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

While it took longer to arrive than the EV sedans that were already for sale from Audi and Porsche, BMW’s entree into the luxury EV segment presents an enticing new option for forward-thinking BMW consumers, who were previously forced to spend their money elsewhere—just so long as they can look past that buck-toothed front grille.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
maybe check out why that's the case

It might explain everyone else's distaste for that shitty company and shitty human a little more.

10 years ago tesla didn't even have a market ready car did they? A buddy of mine bought some japanese manufacturer one like 15 years ago. Can't remember which company but it definitely wasn't a tesla.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Got an electrical/chevy question

2008 chevy 2500HD. There's a spot under the hood for a second battery. Since this is primarily my toy carrier and nothing close to a daily driver, I want to use that 2nd battery spot for cold starts after not running it for long stretches of time. Is it as simple as just throwing one in and running some wires over parallel? Seems like that's all I'd need to do.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
20211017_210944.jpg

i followed this guy for about 40 miles today...

the noise from the exhaust was glorious...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Got an electrical/chevy question

2008 chevy 2500HD. There's a spot under the hood for a second battery. Since this is primarily my toy carrier and nothing close to a daily driver, I want to use that 2nd battery spot for cold starts after not running it for long stretches of time. Is it as simple as just throwing one in and running some wires over parallel? Seems like that's all I'd need to do.
what about a trickle charger? I have one for my shitty Italian car and you just plug it in and then connect the leads to the battery, just start location, or even 12v port.

not sure what to do about the second battery, but I’d bet a high quality agm battery might do the same trick.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
That's what I've got in there but I've killed it a few times this summer cuz I rarely drive it until winter hits.

I've got a charger.

But you see..........I have space for another battery. There's a spot where I could put another battery in. When I pop the hood, I just see this little platform that just says "battery go here". It feels wrong to deny the truck what it wants.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
maybe check out why that's the case
Not sure what your getting at here? Why they have a better charging network? I think it's caus someone in the company knew it was a key aspect to enable widespread adoption.
10 years ago tesla didn't even have a market ready car did they? A buddy of mine bought some japanese manufacturer one like 15 years ago. Can't remember which company but it definitely wasn't a tesla.
Ok, so it's been 9 years since the model s was first produced.

Yes there were other electric vehicles before that, but they were the first to produce one that was practical and acceptable for north american consumers.

Again, I'm not a Musk fanboy, and I'm not looking to give him credit for the cars. Whatever. But those cars certainly ushered in a new era. Maybe dieselgate was supremely well timed to give them a boost too... Who knows.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
They were signing all kinds of deals with grocery store chains and local municipalities for proprietary charging rights. While at the same time deliberately shunning any sort of universal charging interface that every other electric manufacturer was trying to establish.

You don't remember that?

A friend of mine has one. They're kinda junky

But this is kinda the problem with that company, he and they get a lot of credit for things they really shouldn't. Half the fools out there don't even realize he bought the company with daddy money, certainly didn't found it or anything. Like most brats, he's just really vocal. Yeah he's getting more models on the map, for sure. But I'll never buy one because I won't be able to afford it, and the company is just cringe-worthy. They're a bitcoin company that still lets themselves be annoyed by making cars.

Last edited:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
They're a bitcoin company that still lets themselves be annoyed by making cars.
C’mon dude, that’s way out there. Tesla has engineered some of the best automobile products on the planet. You can give a fuck about Musk or not. Do you care about who owns GM or Toyota as much? As the guy says in Miami Vice: ‘Do you want to fuck my partner, or do business with him?’ Watch some of Sandy Munro teardown stuff. The details are impressive. You are letting your biases run a bit far.