Quantcast

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Sorry think you’re totally wrong about this.
Oh I know.

Ill check out some of the projects but it still heightens my point: this is still a product that isnt to many peoples current standards. Im not buying a brand new car to spend just as much fixing it immediately. Which in itself proves it is not ready to be the leader of some large scale electric revolution. Its a tech bro toy before anything else.

There are some inherent flaws to what tesla is doing that is and will keep them from accomplishing a complete remake of conumer transportation IMO. You dismiss them, I dont. Theyre enogh of an issue that I and many others wouldnt buy one. Which means theyre not going to lead le revolucion.

The ego and control is keeping them from putting out a simple car that more people can afford. Thats really it in a nutshell.

Alta is done. They made one risky management decision that opened them up to harley davidson, who essentially crushed the next bike they were about to build. But to this day, no one has even matched what they put out 5 years ago. I can tell you more in private if youre curious.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
They are rich. Tesla is still expensive. You hate rich people. Fine.
Suuuuure: https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a33660589/rich-benoit-tesla-rich-rebuilds/

BTW: my local independent car repair shop told me they are not allowed to do anything on a Tesla besides changing wheels/tires and wipers. No spares, no support, no technical documents. They can work on e.g. BMW i3s and such and get spares no problem. Makes you think, doesn't it?
Its horseshit that even simple things can't be repaired or spare parts purchased, not because they don't exist or you need to be some licensed technician, but because they just won't sell you the parts.

Do you check out Louis Rossmann and his voice on right to repair?

Crap like that stuff he is voicing about is making this harder.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Did you actually read that? It basically proves my point, and even shows that Tesla responded to issues he raised.
BTW: my local independent car repair shop told me they are not allowed to do anything on a Tesla besides changing wheels/tires and wipers. No spares, no support, no technical documents. They can work on e.g. BMW i3s and such and get spares no problem. Makes you think, doesn't it?
It re-enforces the litigious culture we live in and the characteristics of modern capitalism. The fact is that people can and do do this stuff, as your link shows.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Its horseshit that even simple things can't be repaired or spare parts purchased, not because they don't exist or you need to be some licensed technician, but because they just won't sell you the parts.

Do you check out Louis Rossmann and his voice on right to repair?

Crap like that stuff he is voicing about is making this harder.
No, I haven’t heard of that guy, will check him out.
I’m not dismissing all of the ego reasons for this but I expect actually until there is a considerable skilled set of licensed workers for EVs, they are actually freaking dangerous for newbs to pull apart. Unless you know what you’re upto (electrical engineer type knowing what you’re up to) there’s a good chance you get fried. In a litigious culture, if Tesla says ‘Sure, we support you working on our cars’ and people end up as black crisps that’s gonna cause a lot of issues. Like I said, new skills.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Alta is done. They made one risky management decision that opened them up to harley davidson, who essentially crushed the next bike they were about to build. But to this day, no one has even matched what they put out 5 years ago. I can tell you more in private if youre curious.
I'm still bummed about that one. Such a cool product and (seemingly) company. I was really hoping they'd introduce a SMR right around the time they ceased operations.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
kidwoo said:
This still breaks my heart. I still want one, it's by far the best thing ever built.

I got to see the flat tracker here at a show. Damn that was a beast.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
No, I haven’t heard of that guy, will check him out.
I’m not dismissing all of the ego reasons for this but I expect actually until there is a considerable skilled set of licensed workers for EVs, they are actually freaking dangerous for newbs to pull apart. Unless you know what you’re upto (electrical engineer type knowing what you’re up to) there’s a good chance you get fried. In a litigious culture, if Tesla says ‘Sure, we support you working on our cars’ and people end up as black crisps that’s gonna cause a lot of issues. Like I said, new skills.
I didn't mean to quote you there, but yeah check out Louis Rossman on youtube. He rants a lot, but a lot of it makes.

For example an iPhone - if a screen breaks, you either take it to Apple to be repaired for a large sum of money, toss the phone out in the garbage or take it to someone that can repair it. But the phone will know that you replaced the screen and disable the camera or biometrics or something (can't remember what it is was).......even though the two things have nothing to do with eachother. Its a way for them to force the user into either a replacement or getting it repaired by Apple.

Same for John Deere.

The electrical part of working on an electrified vehicle shouldn't be any different than working on a regular car. Anyone at this point can take a wheel off their car and attempt to replace the brakes. Do it wrong and they could kill themselves or someone else. If working on a car with high voltage, don't cut that orange cable yo.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
.....sigh......

you have no idea how close it was

Im bummed too. like really bummed.

Keep an eye on damon out of canada if youre not already.
I was not. CTO looks familiar...

Those bikes are gorgeous. Not sure I really want a sport bike, but if I did I'd be looking to preorder the "cheap" one.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
From what I understand and Marc let on, they opened up to partner w/ HD. HD basically got a peek into their tech and business model, then promptly took that info and effectively created a direct competitor bike. Which, in a "legal world" of investment banking, should have opened HD and the corresponding banks that setup the funding to massive liability, but it basically died at that? Am I missing something?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I didn't mean to quote you there, but yeah check out Louis Rossman on youtube. He rants a lot, but a lot of it makes.

For example an iPhone - if a screen breaks, you either take it to Apple to be repaired for a large sum of money, toss the phone out in the garbage or take it to someone that can repair it. But the phone will know that you replaced the screen and disable the camera or biometrics or something (can't remember what it is was).......even though the two things have nothing to do with eachother. Its a way for them to force the user into either a replacement or getting it repaired by Apple.

Same for John Deere.

The electrical part of working on an electrified vehicle shouldn't be any different than working on a regular car. Anyone at this point can take a wheel off their car and attempt to replace the brakes. Do it wrong and they could kill themselves or someone else. If working on a car with high voltage, don't cut that orange cable yo.

I also have one of those throttled I-pads. WTF?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Did you actually read that? It basically proves my point, and even shows that Tesla responded to issues he raised.
It re-enforces the litigious culture we live in and the characteristics of modern capitalism. The fact is that people can and do do this stuff, as your link shows.
If you think a youtuber needs to use his popularity to force these changes on Tesla while literally every other car company does this as normal service, then I cannot help you anymore.
We need circular economy and not-repairable things should be forbidden. The EU just implemented the ecodesign legislative, for now just for household applicances and such. Just a matter of time this will be extended to the car industry. ;)

I am also surprised nobody has sued Tesla and other car companies that have a constant data uploads from cars to their servers. Should be in violation of GDPR rules, similar to this shit on cell phones. So why this is not regulated similarly is weird.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Not sure I really want a sport bike, but if I did I'd be looking to preorder the "cheap" one.
so what I'm saying is keep an eye on them

you might notice a familar name

From what I understand and Marc let on, they opened up to partner w/ HD. HD basically got a peek into their tech and business model, then promptly took that info and effectively created a direct competitor bike. Which, in a "legal world" of investment banking, should have opened HD and the corresponding banks that setup the funding to massive liability, but it basically died at that? Am I missing something?
first part right, next part kinda sorta right but I think wrong order, rest of it not really because of previous order

TLDR; fuck harley and the fool they made the mistake of bringing in

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

Those bikes are gorgeous. Not sure I really want a sport bike, but if I did I'd be looking to preorder the "cheap" one.
The SX looks damn good and the specs are proper, too. Not sure I can do a sport bike, either, but that is promising.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Nice discussion on the similarities between surburban/urban desires wrt cars… in north america:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah that looks good eh? The GT model is also nice, more $$$ but even more range and 3.1 0-60. Although 5 is absolutely fine for people with normal sized penises.
If they can put everything together, dealer network, support, production, etc., a 300 mi crossover is going to do pretty well in the market IMO, establishing a strong foothold.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
A good friend of mine has the Kia on order and will get in 6 month. A long time Hyundai hybrid and EV owner down the street already has the Ioniq 5 and my brother has one on order too. Safe to say Kia/Hyundai is really on a charge (intentional pun). Also I think the dealer structure in Denmark is as good as any other manufacturer.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Yeah that looks good eh? The GT model is also nice, more $$$ but even more range and 3.1 0-60. Although 5 is absolutely fine for people with normal sized penises.
I would take 20s 0-60 if it was big enough to carry a bike on the inside and has a 500+ range.
The only EVs so far that are practical cars and not livestyle toys are from Maxus. Their Euniq5 looks interesting, however the WLTP is 260/356 km. :(

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Safe to say Kia/Hyundai is really on a charge (intentional pun). Also I think the dealer structure in Denmark is as good as any other manufacturer.
I just wish they would stop bombarding everyone with their commercials (radio/online). :mad:
They are on my kill list just for that.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I just wish they would stop bombarding everyone with their commercials (radio/online). :mad:
They are on my kill list just for that.
I mostly listen to P1 or the other commercial free radio stations and Spotify for music and ad blocker takes care of online ads. Come on the world is full of solutions :-)

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
They are teasing it since 2017??? I am not holding my breath.
And by the looks of it they will fuck it up with roof windows and such and a price tag that only my dentist can affort. Hope loading height will be tall enough to take a bike upright w/o removing the front wheel. But I am guessing the battery will take away from this.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I would take 20s 0-60 if it was big enough to carry a bike on the inside and has a 500+ range.
The only EVs so far that are practical cars and not livestyle toys are from Maxus. Their Euniq5 looks interesting, however the WLTP is 260/356 km. :(
But do you really need 500 miles? That's 7 hours of driving without stopping for a piss break.

That Kia is the first "normalish" EV I've liked that's available with AWD - required for us living at 7500ft/2300m in an area that definitely gets snow (at least for the time being...).

With a 300 mile range that's plenty for a stop every 3 hours for bathroom breaks.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'd be fine with like 150-220mi of range. Particularly for a commuter. If I could get some dang ol' solar panels, that would be living the dream. Then some POS with 150k miles to drive to the hills on the rarity i need it.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I'd be fine with like 150-220mi of range. Particularly for a commuter. If I could get some dang ol' solar panels, that would be living the dream. Then some POS with 150k miles to drive to the hills on the rarity i need it.
Kind of where I am, that Kia, some solar and battery storage at home and I'd be happy with that.

Right now though we only use ~$40 of electricity a month and our car is only 6 years old. So the outlay for solar is tough based on the $'s it would cost.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I keep hoping that dropping the trump tarriffs would drive solar costs lower, but I haven't heard that they were ever dropped. Plus supply chain.... wah wah waaaah

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Kind of where I am, that Kia, some solar and battery storage at home and I'd be happy with that.

Right now though we only use ~$40 of electricity a month and our car is only 6 years old. So the outlay for solar is tough based on the $'s it would cost.
Make sure that it has a 2" hitch option for racks.