Quantcast

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Not sure if it should be a right all can afford a car.
This is a typical urbanite view on things. Where I live there is no public transportation besides a school bus. To reach pubtrans I have to travel 5 km. To get to work would cost me 2 hrs by bus instead of 25 mins by car or 60 mins by bike.

Are there really any cities in Denmark with no ice zones? In Copenhagen it’s only talk and really more about limiting cars in general.
Odense is discussing it to get the town CO2 neutral by 2030. Would have to be implemented soon-ish to have the desired effect.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
This is a typical urbanite view on things. Where I live there is no public transportation besides a school bus. To reach pubtrans I have to travel 5 km. To get to work would cost me 2 hrs by bus instead of 25 mins by car or 60 mins by bike.
So the luxury of living so far from work is a cost that should be borne by others/future generations?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Houses in town start at 1,000,000, (like, any house, at all).
houses 50 miles away start at $3-400,000.
Rents track about the same.
Oh, are you in Jackson? I suppose market failures can happen anywhere, but when you have somewhere with that sort of draw, it's not really an urban planning issue, IMO.

Still, I'd argue cheap cars and cheap gas make that sort of lifestyle possible - how else will "the help" and the service industry folks get to where the jerbs are. Take those two things away, and what are you left with?

And it doesn't take away from the fact that we are not paying for the full cost of burning all that fossil fuel. That market failure has to be addressed and redressed. Simple as that. If you don't like the solutions being put forward, then propose something else, we'd all love to hear it, caus' we need solutions fast.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I’m just describing how it is here, if there were easy solutions, some people would be geniuses and billionaires!
We are, indeed, on the brink of a market failure here. We can’t build our way out of it, as there is really no more land left to realistically build.

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Oh, are you in Jackson? I suppose market failures can happen anywhere, but when you have somewhere with that sort of draw, it's not really an urban planning issue, IMO.
I am not sure what's so surprising about that, just look at the cost of living in any US coastal city. Or any major European city. Or any major city in the world.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I am not sure what's so surprising about that, just look at the cost of living in any US coastal city. Or any major European city. Or any major city in the world.
I'd say that the main difference is that in most other cities there's a diversity of housing options and prices. I seem to recall conversations about Jackson and Tahoe (Banff is the same and I'm sure there are other places) where the aren't any affordable options in town. Any at all.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I’m just describing how it is here, if there were easy solutions, some people would be geniuses and billionaires!
We are, indeed, on the brink of a market failure here. We can’t build our way out of it, as there is really no more land left to realistically build.
Same situation here. We bought a barn 17 years ago and that would not be possible today. Many of my friends didn’t buy back then and they will have to rent for ever or move down the hill. The next two towns are also incredibly expensive. We just built 2 rentals rather than finish/improve our house. Rent is so high and interest rates are so low.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I'd say that the main difference is that in most other cities there's a diversity of housing options and prices.
I highly doubt that. Not in Greater Boston, not in Prague, not in San Francisco, not in Berlin, not in London, the list goes on and on. Pick any major city, same thing going on everywhere.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark

Odense is discussing it to get the town CO2 neutral by 2030. Would have to be implemented soon-ish to have the desired effect.
well you do live in the middle of know where.That is also a choice.

I grew up in a small farming town of 7 people and there was really good public transportation that got me to everywhere I needed to go. My grandparents lived on a farm and the the bus would stop right outside their driveway if we asked nice.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
well you do live in the middle of know where.That is also a choice.
A choice partially forced by the mortage I could get. It seems that banks will lend you triple the amount of money if you are a couple on limited 3-year contracts than a permanent employee with a significantly higher income that is single. I do not understand this logic, maybe it has something to do with that I am not a Dane? However, a Danish colleague has the same issue, cannot afford anything in Odense although he is permanently employed and makes good money.

I grew up in a small farming town of 7 people and there was really good public transportation that got me to everywhere I needed to go. My grandparents lived on a farm and the the bus would stop right outside their driveway if we asked nice.
Lucky you! The school bus does this here as well but no chance to hitch a ride with it. I asked. :-)

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
So the luxury of living so far from work is a cost that should be borne by others/future generations?
Not a luxury, rather the opposite. I would be happy to have work close by, but unfortunately universities are always located in big cities. ;)

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Still, I'd argue cheap cars and cheap gas make that sort of lifestyle possible - how else will "the help" and the service industry folks get to where the jerbs are. Take those two things away, and what are you left with?
Here the issue is that the government tries to move jobs outside of the big cities, especially Copenhagen, to combat the concentration of a large part of the population in a few big cities and bleed the life out of the rest of the country.

And it doesn't take away from the fact that we are not paying for the full cost of burning all that fossil fuel. That market failure has to be addressed and redressed. Simple as that. If you don't like the solutions being put forward, then propose something else, we'd all love to hear it, caus' we need solutions fast.
I have no problem to pay the full costs of my actions, do you as well? Because most people don't, they just talk the talk when they do not have to change their lifestyles.
In the US every citizen emits 14.24 t CO2/year, in Germany 7.69, in Denmark 4.52, in Switzerland 3.73. You do not have to look for new solutions, just start copying the countries that are on a better trajectory than you are.
BTW: Interestingly, the CO2 emissions are reciprocal to the standard of living. ;)

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i have no desire to live in the city....smog blanketed or eco utopia....

2022 vw gti....40k....nope...

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Not any more. Range Rovers if in Cherry Creek or Cherry Hills Village. Atlases and Pilots if in more normal neighborhoods.

I'd work in a joke about stoney's A4 allroad here but it's really too small to be a kid shuttle, and I don't know why he bought it anyway

:D
I can fit 3 kids + 2 adults or 4/1. Decent space in the back and the box up too if I need more. 24mpg w the box when I drive "inefficiently". That plus the bike racks up top and rear, and it gets the job done. I also get to enjoy driving it the rest of the time. Come summer there a chance I might end up doing autoX with it, which isn't an option with a minivan.

You're just jealous that you don't have a spirited vehicle anymore.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I would rather “ride” my e-bike than autocross a 3,900 lb automatic transmission wagon in my free time, yeah

:D

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
Here the issue is that the government tries to move jobs outside of the big cities, especially Copenhagen, to combat the concentration of a large part of the population in a few big cities and bleed the life out of the rest of the country.

I have no problem to pay the full costs of my actions, do you as well? Because most people don't, they just talk the talk when they do not have to change their lifestyles.
In the US every citizen emits 14.24 t CO2/year, in Germany 7.69, in Denmark 4.52, in Switzerland 3.73. You do not have to look for new solutions, just start copying the countries that are on a better trajectory than you are.
BTW: Interestingly, the CO2 emissions are reciprocal to the standard of living. ;)
Exactly this. I live in rural America. It is the same in all state’s once you get an hour or so out of the large city. Public/mass transit is non existent. Rural town are set up so the only way to get around is by car. Minimal sidewalks, and zero green ways.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Exactly this. I live in rural America. It is the same in all state’s once you get an hour or so out of the large city. Public/mass transit is non existent. Rural town are set up so the only way to get around is by car. Minimal sidewalks, and zero green ways.
It's not just rural America. I live 8 miles outside of Boston center - an hour out of the offices downtown. There are (albeit limited) options for taking public transportation to the city, but you still have to drive to the train/bus station first. Out of almost 5mil people living in the metropolitan area, only 600k live in the Boston proper and 100k in Cambridge - the rest of us cannot exist without a car (two cars actually).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Yeah, saw that this morning. This is a crazy paragraph:

Interested buyers should note that documents from the original Commission Meeting with Porsche are available with the sale. Other papers include full invoices for the complete restoration performed by Porsche Classic in Germany, totalling a mind-bending €446,500 euros, The vehicle has completed just 106 km since the restoration was completed, with total mileage quoted at 135 km.
That restoration price. And 135 km total mileage. Insane.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
V. excited about the Ioniq 5. Apparently will be sold by EOY if they can get it out of the ports. I was super excited until I saw that you have to pay luxury car prices for things like LED headlights. Still, that's a great looking car.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'd say that the main difference is that in most other cities there's a diversity of housing options and prices. I seem to recall conversations about Jackson and Tahoe (Banff is the same and I'm sure there are other places) where the aren't any affordable options in town. Any at all.
You've been a asleep for the last 8 years it seems.

I get your point about subsidized gas, but irider and rideit are correct. The entire society here (not just expensive mountain towns) has been setup to make transportation about as essential as clothing, and we did it by creating car culture. Sitting in your ivory tower looking down at the poors saying they don't "deserve" this luxury, and that it's all a choice just shows that you've never been in a situation without those "choices".

You're basically making an argument that getting rid of gas powered cars is the one thing to fix our civic nightmare but that's going to do nothing without simultaneously addressing housing, public transportation, massive wealth inequality and a host of other issues that support that car culture. Just saying people don't deserve cars is so blind to everything else going on.

anyway, yay gasoline

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
V. excited about the Ioniq 5. Apparently will be sold by EOY if they can get it out of the ports. I was super excited until I saw that you have to pay luxury car prices for things like LED headlights. Still, that's a great looking car.
First one was delivered to a retail customer a day or two ago.

Keep in mind that prices are pre-tax credit(s), too.

/me is excited about it, but I get temporarily excited about many cars, and only end up buying half of them

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
First one was delivered to a retail customer a day or two ago.

Keep in mind that prices are pre-tax credit(s), too.

/me is excited about it, but I get temporarily excited about many cars, and only end up buying half of them
haha, same. I thought these were going to be late 2022 vaporware, kind of wish I stretched the alfa out another couple of months, especially after squeakchase 2021

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
It's not just rural America. I live 8 miles outside of Boston center - an hour out of the offices downtown. There are (albeit limited) options for taking public transportation to the city, but you still have to drive to the train/bus station first. Out of almost 5mil people living in the metropolitan area, only 600k live in the Boston proper and 100k in Cambridge - the rest of us cannot exist without a car (two cars actually).
Ya, we have some serious infrastructure issues in land of the FreeDOM

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
While not rural, I am 20 minutes north of Portland, but still in Oregon. There is a bus that goes downtown that is pretty good. It has minimal stops and runs usually every hour. But mainly Monday through Friday and from 5am to 6pm. I rode it last time I was working downtown.

Portland proper and Washington county use the standard Trimet bus and light rail system. But Columbia county has just the one bus route. I can drive to work in 40 minutes, but to go by mass transit, I would bus to downtown for an hour, then ride the light rail for another hour. But the stop is a block from the office. If we move to Forest Grove, it's 20 minutes bus, 20 minutes train and wicked nice.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Haven't seen one yet in the flesh. Paying extra for LED headlights is dumb. Would be simpler and cheaper for everyone if there was only one spec and you price accordingly. Mazda does this w/ their 3 for things like lights, etc.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Haven't seen one yet in the flesh. Paying extra for LED headlights is dumb. Would be simpler and cheaper for everyone if there was only one spec and you price accordingly. Mazda does this w/ their 3 for things like lights, etc.
I have a difficult time when cars are obviously downgraded and you lose serious functionality with the cheaper model. Things like headlights shouldn't be downgraded, but I'm OK with paying less and not getting leather, sunroof, or park assist, or more gucci active bending headlights and cooled seats. Electric cars get weirder, with battery packs being different sizes and things like heated seats and heat pumps that can be more significant QOL measures. I was under the impression that heaters in BEVs draw a lot of power, so heated seats are a better idea....that could mean that the cheapie version gets way less range than the big version when it gets cold, and it does get cold out here...hmmm