Quantcast

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
You've been a asleep for the last 8 years it seems.

I get your point about subsidized gas, but irider and rideit are correct. The entire society here (not just expensive mountain towns) has been setup to make transportation about as essential as clothing, and we did it by creating car culture. Sitting in your ivory tower looking down at the poors saying they don't "deserve" this luxury, and that it's all a choice just shows that you've never been in a situation without those "choices".

You're basically making an argument that getting rid of gas powered cars is the one thing to fix our civic nightmare but that's going to do nothing without simultaneously addressing housing, public transportation, massive wealth inequality and a host of other issues that support that car culture. Just saying people don't deserve cars is so blind to everything else going on.

anyway, yay gasoline

Either you're reading comprehension is severely flawed, or you're being deliberately obtuse.

The whole point that I've been trying to make all along is that we need settlement models that cater to all needs. I'm also saying that our settlement patterns as they are have been enabled by massive oil subsidies and are built around automobile dependency. No matter how special rural folks think they are, the fact is, the climate is changing, and we are causing it. That needs to change.

I'm pretty sure I've never said anywhere that converting everyone to electric vehicles is the one silver bullet. In fact I'm pretty sure I've broadly advocated for all sorts of different measures. And of course there are social costs to climate change. But I can also say with certainty that in our Western "developed" societies we are not bearing the costs of climate change as harshly as the rest of the planet, but we are contributing to it at an inordinate rate. And that has to change.

I'm also sick of the argument that rural folks are special. That they are different. That they are entitled to their massive trucks so their big houses and no neighbors. That "city folks" want to tell them how to live. If that's the argument I get I respond with then you pay the full cost of your lifestyle. That's not an overarching policy position that's just a response to the people that say they're special. And yeah I'll always come back to the polluter pays argument. Or user pay. Whatever you want to call it I don't care but the fact is most of us on here partaking and upper middle class activity, and have the means to choose where we live. And that's fine. But be honest about the fact that you don't care about climate change. Or that it doesn't rank as highly as your quality of life.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I have a difficult time when cars are obviously downgraded and you lose serious functionality with the cheaper model. Things like headlights shouldn't be downgraded, but I'm OK with paying less and not getting leather, sunroof, or park assist, or more gucci active bending headlights and cooled seats. Electric cars get weirder, with battery packs being different sizes and things like heated seats and heat pumps that can be more significant QOL measures. I was under the impression that heaters in BEVs draw a lot of power, so heated seats are a better idea....that could mean that the cheapie version gets way less range than the big version when it gets cold, and it does get cold out here...hmmm
Porsche has really pioneered this. The other German automakers too and now pretty much the entire world has caught on, but Porsche is really the best at it. You put together packages to maximize profit and to get that one thing you really want, you have to get all this other stuff. Eventually, you see that the majority of the profit is tied up in the options and packages...that's their bread and butter.

I remember the first Nissan Altima...their goal was to offer a car that was the diametric opposite of this...it's been a long time though and that car no longer fills that niche that they introduced.

Some are better than others in this case, but this is really the way of the things for the future.

I was happy my Kia included most of what I wanted, the sun and sound package with sunroof and better sound system was plenty. The only thing I miss is a power liftgate (sorry peeps), but I don't miss it so much that I'd add on other crap in the process, so I'm fine. I don't miss shit like HUD and 30 million cameras around all angles, etc. I want some decent driving aids like ACC and headed steering wheel, seats and remote start. Those are the important ones for me.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'm pretty sure I've never said anywhere that converting everyone to electric vehicles is the one silver bullet.
And the word "electric" appears nowhere in my post.

Either you're (sic) reading comprehension is severely flawed, or you're being deliberately obtuse. :rofl:

You still seem to equate "rural" with "well off". I'm really not sure where you get that from. There's a whole world of rural that isn't foofy mountain towns. The entire agriculture workforce in my (the largest) state is both rural, and not that rich. Because that's where the fucking work is. The backbreaking, severely underpaid work. They're not "special" they're fucking broke.

We do agree on the systems that created this mess needing change. With you there. But just saying "too bad rural america, move" or whatever else you think can happen ain't gonna do it.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
And the word "electric" appears nowhere in my post.

Either you're (sic) reading comprehension is severely flawed, or you're being deliberately obtuse. :rofl:

You still seem to equate "rural" with "well off". I'm really not sure where you get that from. There's a whole world of rural that isn't foofy mountain towns. The entire agriculture workforce in my (the largest) state is both rural, and not that rich. Because that's where the fucking work is. The backbreaking, severely underpaid work. They're not "special" they're fucking broke.

We do agree on the systems that created this mess needing change. With you there. But just saying "too bad rural america, move" or whatever else you think can happen ain't gonna do it.
I'm not saying too bad rural america, move. I'm saying man I know it sucks, but we have to start paying the true cost burning fossil fuels. That has to change, let's find ways to make it happen. And hopefully, somehow, get all the people in society who benefit from it to pay for it too.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
As with everything these days it comes back to carbon. America’s biggest emitting sector is transport so it is also the one that needs the biggest effort and attention.

Rural users as we have previously established have fairly high footprints, in in the context of this:

As of 2019, the United States had emitted a cumulative total of 410.2 billion metric tons of carbon dioxide from fossil fuels and cement production. This is more than any other country, making the U.S. the biggest historical carbon polluter of all time. Since the industrial revolution began, the U.S. has emitted roughly a quarter of global cumulative CO2 emissions.
It’s quite fair for the rest of the world to tell you smoggy 3% to fucking sort your shit out. The US is the richest country in the world and of course we see that overall a vast amount of that came from ‘externalising costs’ on the entire planet. You could massively reduce your ridiculous loser military for a start which has a carbon footprint alone equal to the 140 least polluting countries on the planet. That money could do a lot of good instead of causing death and war crimes and generally making you hated. Decarbonising your transport is clearly all of your ‘personal responsibilities’ and it’s pretty hard not to think of you as cunts when it’s ‘too hard’ or ‘inconvenient’ for you to switch to an EV frankly.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I'm also sick of the argument that rural folks are special. That they are different. That they are entitled to their massive trucks so their big houses and no neighbors. That "city folks" want to tell them how to live. If that's the argument I get I respond with then you pay the full cost of your lifestyle. That's not an overarching policy position that's just a response to the people that say they're special. And yeah I'll always come back to the polluter pays argument. Or user pay. Whatever you want to call it I don't care but the fact is most of us on here partaking and upper middle class activity, and have the means to choose where we live. And that's fine. But be honest about the fact that you don't care about climate change. Or that it doesn't rank as highly as your quality of life.
Semi-urban areas were found to have the highest carbon footprint, with urban the lowest and rural in between in Austria.
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2020.121326

However, there also seems to be no clear trend if urbanization is reducing the carbon footprint or not. It depends on where you are located.
Excerp:
The impact of the degree of urbanisation on the carbon footprint varies by country (table 2below and supplementary table 7). An increasing degree of urbanisation decreases carbon footprints in 14 countries when income is controlled: Belgium, Bulgaria, Germany, Estonia, Ireland, Greece, Spain, France, Croatia, Hungary, Portugal, Finland, Sweden and the UK. The results of Finland and Sweden, in particular, suffer from bias related to the exclusion of emissions caused by the heating of apartment buildings due to data limitations (see the Methods section for details). In Denmark and Malta, the impact of urbanisation is statistically insignificant, whereas in 8 countries there are opposite effects, so that carbon footprints increase with the increasing degree of urbanisation when income is controlled: Czech Republic, Cyprus, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Poland, Slovenia and Slovakia. In addition, in the majority of European countries, the degree of urbanisation increases expenditure when income is controlled, and increases income when the level of education, occupation and the age of the main income provider of household are controlled (table 2 below and supplementary tables 17 and 18).

Sorry, all for Europe just because. :-)

There is also one other aspect that is less talked about IMO. Often rural areas, at least in Europe, contribute much more to the production of green energy than cities. I do not see many wind turbines in the cities. ;)

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Decarbonising your transport is clearly all of your ‘personal responsibilities’ and it’s pretty hard not to think of you as cunts when it’s ‘too hard’ or ‘inconvenient’ for you to switch to an EV frankly.
I would go even farther. Reduce the transport! If slyfink thinks commuting into bigger cities for work is bad, what about all the holidays travel, going on vacation, visiting aunt Anna 1000K away?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I would go even farther. Reduce the transport! If slyfink thinks commuting into bigger cities for work is bad, what about all the holidays travel, going on vacation, visiting aunt Anna 1000K away?
This is an ad that our govt are running at the moment:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'm not saying too bad rural america, move. I'm saying man I know it sucks, but we have to start paying the true cost burning fossil fuels. That has to change, let's find ways to make it happen. And hopefully, somehow, get all the people in society who benefit from it to pay for it too.
To be clear, I would fully support a war on Kansas.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
#notallheroeswearcapes....

beating the same dead horse....but...when a company can make a truck this ugly and basic....or a car for that matter...and it be ev...and not have the shit subsidised out of it to be only 40k...i'll bite...

View attachment 169005
Man... @stevew - I'm right there with ya. Something simple, electric, and cheap. Like the original Volkswagen - a vehicle for the people.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
I'm also sick of the argument that rural folks are special. That they are different. That they are entitled to their massive trucks so their big houses and no neighbors. That "city folks" want to tell them how to live.
I’ll admit, I’m pretty fucking special.

The unfortunate problem with this mentality is that it will take a lot of marketing to change this way of thought. Growing up in the late 80s I remember all of my friends moms drove station wagons and their dads drove LeSabres and Olds 88s. The only people that had trucks were people at actually needed them. Massive amounts of marketing was done in the 90s to convince every middle aged man that they needed a truck. (Didn’t we just discuss if trucks are trucks). Now all of the moms around here all have a suburban, Yukon or some dumb shit. All males seem to drive some 3’ bed truck thing. All for what? So they are PoTecTed when they ram each other while tiktoking the kids soccer game.
So it’s not that folks feel entitled it’s that they have been marketed to for the last 25 years that they need a giant blob to drive. I mean just look at the current line up for the big 3 US auto makers

But yes, I do love that I don’t have neighbors, I love that have a huge barn, am I special for that? Maybe ed.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I’ll admit, I’m pretty fucking special.

The unfortunate problem with this mentality is that it will take a lot of marketing to change this way of thought. Growing up in the late 80s I remember all of my friends moms drove station wagons and their dads drove LeSabres and Olds 88s. The only people that had trucks were people at actually needed them. Massive amounts of marketing was done in the 90s to convince every middle aged man that they needed a truck. (Didn’t we just discuss if trucks are trucks). Now all of the moms around here all have a suburban, Yukon or some dumb shit. All males seem to drive some 3’ bed truck thing. All for what? So they are PoTecTed when they ram each other while tiktoking the kids soccer game.
So it’s not that folks feel entitled it’s that they have been marketed to for the last 25 years that they need a giant blob to drive. I mean just look at the current line up for the big 3 US auto makers

But yes, I do love that I don’t have neighbors, I love that have a huge barn, am I special for that? Maybe ed.
The idea that all rural populations exclusively drive brodozers or that only rural people drive gas guzzlers is absolutely moronic. I see lots of Hummers around here and 100% of them come from san francisco. Same with the landrovers and #vanlife shits. In bumfuck Nevada, where I do spend a lot of time (and the entire state outside of vegas and reno/carson city is very rural) it's mostly cheap shitty american made sedans. There are brodozers around the mining towns because money, but that's the same shit I just mentioned with hummers and landrovers and sprinter vans. It's money, and like you say, marketing. It has fuck all to do with rural vs urban. And honestly anyone making that argument just sounds like they need to get outside their metro bubble a little more. I see more lifted trucks in fucking orange county (that's los angeles for you non california peeps).