Quantcast

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
watching paint dry is more thrilling when the paint was applied electrically.
Yeah not my cup of tea either.
Just to finish my Saturday rant;

95% of all private car journeys in the US are under 30 miles. 60% are under 6! People’s range anxiety around EVs is quite ridiculous, especially for families with more than one car.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

95% of all private car journeys in the US are under 30 miles. 60% are under 6! People’s range anxiety around EVs is quite ridiculous, especially for families with more than one car.
I mean you are right, for most of the time a small EV would be good enough for me. But so far two things keep me from doing it:
- there are no small, readily available EVs that are reasonable priced (talking VW Lupo-like, not BMW i3, which is 4x the price)
- I still need to keep another car for long distance traveling, toys hauler, shopping

Having multiple cars puts additional strain on the environment (production), the government does tax me monthly for both, I have to pay insurance for both, etc.. Talking to my neighbors, we would all love to have these options, but then that would mean the government and insurance companies should be starting to think outside the box as well.
What about a number plate that you can switch between vehicles? You can only drive one at a time and all insurance and tax costs are attached to the plate instead of the car?
GPS tracker of the actual use of each car and taxing/insurance based on it?
Putting all these costs/taxes on the consumables (gas, electricity, tires, etc.)?

My point is, the government should not only ask every citizen to change their behavior but also rethink some of theirs. You want everyone to be progressive, how about being a good example?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I mean you are right, for most of the time a small EV would be good enough for me. But so far two things keep me from doing it:
- there are no small, readily available EVs that are reasonable priced (talking VW Lupo-like, not BMW i3, which is 4x the price)
- I still need to keep another car for long distance traveling, toys hauler, shopping

Having multiple cars puts additional strain on the environment (production), the government does tax me monthly for both, I have to pay insurance for both, etc.. Talking to my neighbors, we would all love to have these options, but then that would mean the government and insurance companies should be starting to think outside the box as well.
What about a number plate that you can switch between vehicles? You can only drive one at a time and all insurance and tax costs are attached to the plate instead of the car?
GPS tracker of the actual use of each car and taxing/insurance based on it?
Putting all these costs/taxes on the consumables (gas, electricity, tires, etc.)?

My point is, the government should not only ask every citizen to change their behavior but also rethink some of theirs. You want everyone to be progressive, how about being a good example?
Doesn’t Switzerland have that system? Basically your insurance and fees are tied to a plate that is tied to you?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Yes, here we go:

“The vehicle license number plates are assigned to the car owner and not to the vehicle. If the owner changes the vehicle, the same vehicle license number plates are attached to the new vehicle. The previous vehicle receives the vehicle license number plates of the new owner. It is also possible to own two (or more) vehicles that share the vehicle license number plates: the plates are physically unmounted from one vehicle and mounted on another, provided the vehicles in question are owned by the same owner of the vehicle license number plate. These plates are known locally as "Wechselschilder". In some cantons, when vehicle license number plates are returned and retired, they are made available again after a certain time.”

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

This is what has Wifey sold on electric/hybrid, finally. We're basically playing the waiting game until Audi comes out with a Q7 etron. She's decided that's what she wants, so that's what we're holding on. Starting to save for our $80k car now...

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
It's money, and like you say, marketing.
I would go on to say a lot of its borrowed money.

Quick story. Back in 07 when I was the finance guy at a large JD dealer (in the front range actually) I would see everyone’s financials whenever someone financed anything from a 3,000 mower to a 800k cutter. Never seemed to fail, the people driving bro dozer, wife also in big ass suv, 2,000+/month in car payments. Between mortgage and auto payments they would be spending 60+% of their income. Fucking asinine.

Point of my rambling is that the typical gas guzzler driving folks ain’t that bright and the idea that they “need” that vehicle is cemented in there pretty deep, and planting the idea that they don’t need it is going to take more than the idea of saving the planet.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I would go on to say a lot of its borrowed money.

Quick story. Back in 07 when I was the finance guy at a large JD dealer (in the front range actually) I would see everyone’s financials whenever someone financed anything from a 3,000 mower to a 800k cutter. Never seemed to fail, the people driving bro dozer, wife also in big ass suv, 2,000+/month in car payments. Between mortgage and auto payments they would be spending 60+% of their income. Fucking asinine.

Point of my rambling is that the typical gas guzzler driving folks ain’t that bright and the idea that they “need” that vehicle is cemented in there pretty deep, and planting the idea that they don’t need it is going to take more than the idea of saving the planet.
The shit I see... :eek: :twitch: :nope: Met a guy a few weeks ago 5yrs from retirement. Spending $25k on daughter's wedding, but didn't have it. Also $60k in debt. I spent a few days putting together a debt pay down plan, using a loan from his retirement to get out from under it. IF he can stay on it, he'll be back to saving $4k/m (that's how much he's paying in interest right now) within 2 years. Unfortunately, I'm not optimistic. Wife has a 3 y/o car and she cycles through them - all high interest, of course.

Bigger the car, worse the payment problems.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
This is what has Wifey sold on electric/hybrid, finally. We're basically playing the waiting game until Audi comes out with a Q7 etron. She's decided that's what she wants, so that's what we're holding on. Starting to save for our $80k car now...
Ioniq 7 and the Kia electric-Telluride will be ones to watch as well.

I personally am most psyched about the VW ID Buzz, because sliding doors are awesome.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I personally am most psyched about the VW ID Buzz, because sliding doors are awesome.
Yep, but knowing VW they will fuck it up in some way. I just hope it can be bought without the stupid glass roof.
Maybe the commercial vehicle version will be the way to go.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Ioniq 7 and the Kia electric-Telluride will be ones to watch as well.

Ioniq 5 prices are ridiculous :bonk:
The good news is that the boneheads will pay for them :rockout:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Doesn’t Switzerland have that system? Basically your insurance and fees are tied to a plate that is tied to you?
Yes, this is true and for example, you have to drop your plates off at the post office if you want to stop paying insurance temporarily. You can go back and pick them up when you start paying again. Some friends do this over winter if they work locally.

You can also have one set of plates for multiple cars. If you are super old there is some sort of strange pride in having a low 4 digit number plate. When you buy a used car sometimes the seller will let you drive home on their plates if you promise to send them back. There is a lot of trust on a daily basis here. It’s wild coming from AZ.