Quantcast

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Well that for sure explains why we can't get a longer version of the Golf.

Because Americans will buy 5 times as many taller golfs at a much higher profit margin. They can't sell more than a few thousand Golf Rs in the states, but people will wait in line for R-Line Tiguans.

Also they would have to make custom seats for the US market if they wanted to sell in volume.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
But my wife has to be able to drive it and she has to be at least 10' above the other vehicles.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Because Americans will buy 5 times as many taller golfs at a much higher profit margin. They can't sell more than a few thousand Golf Rs in the states, but people will wait in line for R-Line Tiguans.
I believe it’s CAFE footprint rules that govern this.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
But my wife has to be able to drive it and she has to be at least 10' above the other vehicles.
My wife used to love to drive the Vette until I put a semi real seat in it. She doesn't even like to ride with me anymore (we me AFTER the first Vette).

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
We used to get them. They didn't sell well, like I said earlier VW sold 5 times as many Tiguans. Americans want lifted Golfs over longer Golfs.
alltracks are not popular in washington...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
We used to get them. They didn't sell well, like I said earlier VW sold 5 times as many Tiguans. Americans want lifted Golfs over longer Golfs.
Still mini SUV crazy I see. There are 3 of those vw wagons on my block. Plenty of small suvs too.

Drove a vw wagon a couple of years ago. Was decent. Was also one of the last remaining cars available with awd and a manual transmission.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Before I went EV I had a Golf wagon. Awesome car; safe, fast, spacious, economical if you drive it sensibly.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Still mini SUV crazy I see. There are 3 of those vw wagons on my block. Plenty of small suvs too.

Drove a vw wagon a couple of years ago. Was decent. Was also one of the last remaining cars available with awd and a manual transmission.

I have a Golf R. I would enthusiastically get an R wagon if available.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
You don’t get the golf wagons in the US? They are popular in Canada.
What we did get for a few years was cut off at the knees. I tried to build them a couple years back and they wouldn't let you build a sporty version that wasn't lifted (all track is like a subaru outback). You couldn't get the tech stuff on the non-lifted version, like active cruise control, etc. The builds were all F-ed up.

If we got the ARRRR, that would be awesome, but that never happens here anymore. We'll get some dumbass lifted SUV.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Cars disguised as 4WDs are idiotic, yeah it is easier to lift a baby out and you can see a bit more but in every other regard they are worse than a regular wagon.
SUVs have a far higher fatality rate than virtually any other type of collision. For reference, approximately 2% of all passenger vehicles accidents reported in the U.S. involve a rollover. However, rollovers account for more than one third of traffic fatalities.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Cars disguised as 4WDs are idiotic, yeah it is easier to lift a baby out and you can see a bit more but in every other regard they are worse than a regular wagon.
SUVs have a far higher fatality rate than virtually any other type of collision. For reference, approximately 2% of all passenger vehicles accidents reported in the U.S. involve a rollover. However, rollovers account for more than one third of traffic fatalities.
Its is much nicer for getting my bikes in and out of the car as I am one of the crazy people who put the bike inside the car. Plus a hitch for the Volvo os almost 2000 USD and the racks here in Euro land sucks. Old man also like getting in and out better in an SUV like my XC60 vs my old XC70.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Its is much nicer for getting my bikes in and out of the car as I am one of the crazy people who put the bike inside the car. Plus a hitch for the Volvo os almost 2000 USD and the racks here in Euro land sucks. Old man also like getting in and out better in an SUV like my XC60 vs my old XC70.
Yeah in one of those terrible men's mags they said two MTBs on the roof can reduce fuel economy by ~30%, rear rack wouldn't be too bad I don't think but I like the bike inside the car too.
When I had an S60 I had to turn the bumper on my 888 to be able to get the bike in to the car, and that was with the front wheel off.
I couldn't get the bike in to the S60 with a broken collarbone, Mini panelvan was much better for that, hahaha!

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
What we did get for a few years was cut off at the knees. I tried to build them a couple years back and they wouldn't let you build a sporty version that wasn't lifted (all track is like a subaru outback). You couldn't get the tech stuff on the non-lifted version, like active cruise control, etc. The builds were all F-ed up.

If we got the ARRRR, that would be awesome, but that never happens here anymore. We'll get some dumbass lifted SUV.
a alltrack is barely higher than a standard vw wagon....at least the ones I have parked near.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Cheesy i know but dream car right here since i first saw it in the movie
I was a fan of all of their cars. Not a huge fan of the Ford powerplants, but they at least used the best ones. Just stunning.

<edit> my grandpa had a '71 Gran Torino with a 351 Cleveland. When he traded it in in '89 it had 325k miles on the original motor and it STILL ran perfect. He swore by that motor.

Last edited:

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Just stunning.

The only car poster on my wall as a kid was of a Pantera. Last time I drove to Italy I saw four of them driving in formation outside Milan and it made me immesely happy.

Its is much nicer for getting my bikes in and out of the car as I am one of the crazy people who put the bike inside the car.
It's true you need to bend down more, but my Passat is so much more convenient for transporting bikes inside than my Tiguan was. Just 10 minutes ago I threw my rear rack inside and my bike on top.
A trailer hitch is always a must for me, and it's between 600 - 800€ for the VW vehicles I tend to end up with.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I don't think I will ever not own a car that isn't a wagon or hatchback. Just too useful. Loading all this up was easier and friendlier on the bikes (road salt and grime) than loading up the Tacoma in the driveway.

And this is a small car.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Agreed, wagons are rad. The last car I owned was an Audi Allroad. That thing was great and I'd take it over a Q5 any day. But after I got my Sprinter van I didn't drive it much, so I sold it and have been "making do" with the van and a motorcycle just fine.

It's really too bad that more Americans don't understand how great wagons can be. I mean, come on:

2021-audi-rs6-avant.jpg

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I read an interesting article the other day that the dealer network is really the one who decides what we get to drive. So yeah, the dealer is going to gobble up all the SUVs to please the soccer moms, but us cool dads get the shaft because there are no wagons on the lot.

I dunno- I love driving low cars. Test drove a V90 the other day and would have scooped that up if I had the cash. Nice B+W audio, too....just really a perfect car, comfortable, quick enough, easy to see out of. Just expensive AF.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Also a coarse 4 banger, terrible Sensus interface, and limited utility due to its swoops shape.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I got to drive a twin turbo 3.6L Porsche Macan last week. Oof, lots of fun in a small suv.
Few years ago some friends and I went to Vegas and did the Exotics racecar thing at the speedway. Our intro lap was in a Macan. That thing felt faster than the Audi R8 that I drove. And that was with 5 grown adults stuffed into it.

As for wagons, I'm partial to the e63 AMG, although the recent ones have looked a little bulbous.

:drool:

Or turbo Subaru Legacy, as explodey as that might be. :drool:

Volvo's are super nice too, maybe a little too nice.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Few years ago some friends and I went to Vegas and did the Exotics racecar thing at the speedway.
I drove there too a few years ago. We rented the place for a whole day. (obligatory :fancy: )

I took out a GT3, F430 and AMG SLS. The GT3 was the most fun to drive but I had my fastest time in the SLS.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I drove there too a few years ago. We rented the place for a whole day. (obligatory :fancy: )

I took out a GT3, F430 and AMG SLS. The GT3 was the most fun to drive but I had my fastest time in the SLS.
1614030250052.jpeg

I wish I had picked the GT3 :( I forget why I drove the R8, maybe it was the cheapest, and wasn't the Nissan GTR?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The problem isn't that we can't get the E63 or RS6 Avant, it's that we can't get the E53 wagon, S6 wagon, RS and S4 Avant, 340 and M3 wagon, the Golf R estate, and yes, the LGT or equivalent. Even when the wrx came in wagon and later hatchback form, so much more practical and usable.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
The problem isn't that we can't get the E63 or RS6 Avant, it's that we can't get the E53 wagon, S6 wagon, RS and S 4, 340 and M3 wagon, the Golf R estate, and yes, and yes, the LGT. Even when the wrx came in wagon and later hatchback form, so much more practical and usable.
I'm an idiot Audi guy. If I had my way I'd ask for a modern spin on the C5 Allroad (mine) with old school adjustable suspension and new school supercharged 3.0L from the S-series cars.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'm an idiot Audi guy. If I had my way I'd ask for a modern spin on the C5 Allroad (mine) with old school adjustable suspension and new school supercharged 3.0L from the S-series cars.
Yeah, they still make the lifted all-road wagons, like subaru makes the lifted outbacks, but just getting a "normal" wagon is freaking impossible, let a lone a little sporty version.

One bright spot though is the M4 GC, A/S5 Sportback, Arteon, Stinger, etc. These actually do have pretty crazy good utility due to the hatchback design, not quite wagon good, but definitely way better than the typical Golf-sized hatchbacks.