Quantcast

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
It's annoying that there's so many more electric cars available in Yurp still than over here.
My brother is so far very happy with this Ionic5 both software and driving it. It's really big much bigger than what it looks like in pictures. Another friend of mine is getting the Kia EV6 this month and it will be interesting to hear about that too.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My brother is so far very happy with this Ionic5 both software and driving it. It's really big much bigger than what it looks like in pictures. Another friend of mine is getting the Kia EV6 this month and it will be interesting to hear about that too.
I was showing the wife pics of the Ionic5 and she has said that we will likely get at least I hybrid soon. We just got her CRV, but we will see how long she keeps it.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
It's almost a hint of Ferrari 355/550/575 front end too.

It's terrible.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Given @gonefirefightin 's retired status, the desire to move to FL and that golf cart thing in the background.

It's either his new car or his new neighbours.

There is a huge car show a block from my place every year, at least non pandemic years. The major take away I got from it is that lonely boomers will go to great measures to get random strangers to talk to them.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
There is a huge car show a block from my place every year, at least non pandemic years. The major take away I got from it is that lonely boomers will go to great measures to get random strangers to talk to them.
there are only so many restrooms in which to assume a wide stance

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Given @gonefirefightin 's retired status, the desire to move to FL and that golf cart thing in the background.

It's either his new car or his new neighbours.
Nothing in this statement is even close, first of all, I want to "winter" in a florida type environment, not move, secondly,

I would never own a vette or a viper, my mid life crisis toys are a bit more eccentric even moreso than a vetteviper

Thirdly, my golf cart would have a lift kit thank you

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Like this? Pretty amazing indeed.

I occasionally see this Corvette where someone did a shit ton of work to make a C7 look like a C1. Craftmanship looked really good but it just didn't look right. Like a stripper with an adams apple and 5 oclock shadow.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
heat not oil

those old ones had some fucked up cooling system that either lacked a reliable thermostat or radiator fan, or for some other reason entirely depended upon airflow to maintain operating temp. It's definitely not oil related, it was a shitty design feature. The %subarus in the general car population here was pretty astronomical at one time. Getting them all together in a bar, you start to notice some ongoing themes. (the owners not the cars, the cars don't drink beer)

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
or a necessary step in sub zero temps......you know, like every single other car in existence does just fine
My old RX-8 probably takes the poor design/unreliability cake, though. If one had to stop the engine before it was fully warmed up the recommendation was to hold it at 3000 rpm for 10 seconds then abruptly turn it off, iirc. Otherwise it might flood.

Which is exactly what mine did even after using that technique. Got a new starter, plugs, battery, and ECU (!) under warranty after being towed away, if the memory does serve.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My old RX-8 probably takes the poor design/unreliability cake, though. If one had to stop the engine before it was fully warmed up the recommendation was to hold it at 3000 rpm for 10 seconds then abruptly turn it off, iirc. Otherwise it might flood.

Which is exactly what mine did even after using that technique. Got a new starter, plugs, battery, and ECU (!) under warranty after being towed away, if the memory does serve.

A friend of mine went through 4 engines in less than 70,000 miles before he sold it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
A friend of mine went through 4 engines in less than 70,000 miles before he sold it.
It's too bad since it was an autocross champ. Good balance, double wishbones up front, enough room under the fenders for 245 mm tires (including V710s!) + ability to carry 4 wheels/tires between the trunk and the back seat, and linear if sewing-machine-sounding power until 9000 rpm from the Wankel.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
or a necessary step in sub zero temps......you know, like every single other car in existence does just fine
I think you missed my point (which knowing you is probably quite deliberate :D). JRA = something failed under normal use (but previous use was anything but normal).

Also, you might want to tell your friends about these if they are idling their cars for any length of time to "warm them up": https://thenewswheel.com/what-is-an-engine-block-heater-and-do-you-really-need-one/

edited to add:
8. Is it important to idle my vehicle to warm up the engine?
Contrary to popular belief, excessive idling is not an effective way to warm up your vehicle, even in cold weather. The best way to warm it up is to drive it. In fact, with today's computer-controlled engines, even on cold winter days no more than two to three minutes of idling is usually enough warm-up time before starting to drive. Please consult your owner's manual or your vehicle service advisor if you would like a recommendation specific to your vehicle or climatic conditions.
9. Is it important to use a block heater in the winter?
You can help reduce the impact of cold starts – and reduce idling times – by using a block heater. This device warms the coolant, which in turn warms the engine block and lubricants. The engine will start more easily and reach its proper operating temperature faster. What's more, it won't have to work as hard to pump oil through the block. At -20°C, block heaters can improve overall fuel economy by as much as 10 percent. For a single short trip at -25°C your fuel savings could be in the order of 25 percent.
(source)

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It's too bad since it was an autocross champ. Good balance, double wishbones up front, enough room under the fenders for 245 mm tires (including V710s!) + ability to carry 4 wheels/tires between the trunk and the back seat, and linear if sewing-machine-sounding power until 9000 rpm from the Wankel.

Yeah a former neighbor had one and I did like the noise it made.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I think you missed my point (which knowing you is probably quite deliberate :D). JRA = something failed under normal use (but previous use was anything but normal).

Also, you might want to tell your friends about these if they are idling their cars for any length of time to "warm them up": https://thenewswheel.com/what-is-an-engine-block-heater-and-do-you-really-need-one/
No I got the joke (I have bought bikes before) , but yeah, this shit was like a design feature in 1990s yuppie wagons.

It's cold here. Everyone warms up their car because frost on the windows. It forms on the inside if you just hop in and take off. You live in canada, surely this isn't foreign. No one with a non-diesel uses block heaters. But watching subie owners pay really really really close attention to their watches while their cars were idling in the driveway was a pretty ubiquitous thing when I moved here 20 years ago.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The wife's nephew got a sweet deal on one 2 months before the dash lit up. I tried to talk his dad into an LS swap, but I think he got a grand for it "as is".

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
edited to add:
8. Is it important to idle my vehicle to warm up the engine?
Contrary to popular belief, excessive idling is not an effective way to warm up your vehicle, even in cold weather
Dipshit that wrote that has never driven when it's 0F or colder. The car does not warm up. If you can get a load on it, like driving uphill for a while, ok, but that's not reality for most places. Drive downhill at first...holy F, next-level cold. There is too much cold-soak effect. Car cold-soaks pretty fast in those temps too.

You aren't even going anywhere till you can get the damn frost off the the window, outside AND inside. Scraping is not really effective with this stuff. It deposits pretty fast and it's just not like that frost that happens at 28F that some people experience.

You do help to gunk up the manifold and valves in the direct injection cars, but your car is basically not drivable until you can get it to warm up a bit. Like, you can't even hold the damn steering wheel. Even with the heated steering wheel, the car needs some time on before it comes up to a reasonable temp.

Block heaters are great, if you have them...and have access to a plug. That's basically Fairbanks. Fairbanks is the place where most locations have block-heater plug-ins. They are rare to non-existent even in ANC.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Dipshit that wrote that has never driven when it's 0F or colder. The car does not warm up. If you can get a load on it, like driving uphill for a while, ok, but that's not reality for most places. Drive downhill at first...holy F, next-level cold. There is too much cold-soak effect. Car cold-soaks pretty fast in those temps too.

You aren't even going anywhere till you can get the damn frost off the the window, outside AND inside. Scraping is not really effective with this stuff. It deposits pretty fast and it's just not like that frost that happens at 28F that some people experience.

You do help to gunk up the manifold and valves in the direct injection cars, but your car is basically not drivable until you can get it to warm up a bit. Like, you can't even hold the damn steering wheel. Even with the heated steering wheel, the car needs some time on before it comes up to a reasonable temp.

Block heaters are great, if you have them...and have access to a plug. That's basically Fairbanks. Fairbanks is the place where most locations have block-heater plug-ins. They are rare to non-existent even in ANC.

Used to use a magnetic oil pan heater when I lived in Northern NY. Didn't help too much to warm up the car but when it is -20 it is nice to have oil that isn't the consistency of roof tar. I assume modern synthetic oil helps with that now.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
And I wasn't super clear, but running it in place DOES get it to heat up to a point, because there's no airflow going through the engine bay super-cooling it. Once you start driving, the process reverses itself unless you are seeing significant load.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

It's an official Government publication. Written by engineers and people who study this day in day out. (I provided a link to my source). I will grant you this though: a lot of government publications are written for the majority, rather than ALL case uses.

I've been up North (Dawson City, Yukon) in December, and yes, there are times when vehicles must be kept running so things don't freeze. But only 0.33% of Canadians live in the North, which is an unusually harsh environment. It's more effective to write a policy that applies to 99% of the population and allow for variations as needed. Similarly by my calculations, AK represents 0.22% of the US population. And I have to assume, winter requirements in AK aren't common in the rest of the country.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
you can tell who does and doesnt have a garage in this thread :D
I don't. It's been below -10°F for the better part of a week here, and my block heater has helped get the car running and rolling very nicely. And yes, I had to spec the block heater at the dealership when I bought it. They tried to tell me it was a waste of money; I told them to just install the thing.