Quantcast

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
When I first saw pictures of the GT I thought it was small, like Miata or Z4 sized until I saw one in person. The SLS is just so extra. I am not usually drawn to Mercedes, but the GT and all it's variations are just tops.

The GT Black set the 'Ring record and it's front engine rear drive. That's just nutty.
Well, technically it's mid-engine and you're sitting over the trunk.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Ahem...

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
This is a fun thread. During my hiatus from the internet I picked this up right as COVID hit when dealers were begging people to come in and buy cars and proceeded to begin modifying it. So far its making for an excellent kid and bike hauler.

2020 Ford Explorer ST
Upgrades include E50 tune, Pure 700 turbos, intercooler, exhaust, intake, lowering springs, 22" forged wheels, sway bars, and brembo big brake kit. Currently 580-600-ish bhp.

IMG_2361.jpg
IMG_2362.jpg
IMG_2366.jpg
IMG_2373.jpg

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Hey Now. I resemble that comment.
Me and Stoney were also in that club.

Mine was a ‘02 bugeye. VF34 @ 21 psi or so, FMIC with a nitrous fogger to cool it, UTEC with flat foot shifting and launch control, STI RA gears, coilovers.

It was a loud, unreliable piece of shit really. But it was fast.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Mine was a ‘02 bugeye. VF34 @ 21 psi or so, FMIC with a nitrous fogger to cool it, UTEC with flat foot shifting and launch control, STI RA gears, coilovers.

Due to a thread on another site, I recently remembered how my 04 would somehow leak fuel from the manifold when it was cold, causing a strong fuel smell in the cabin. You just lived with it, brain damage and all.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD

rad. I still own and drive my tuned hawkeye wagon. It has over 220k on it and still starts up whenever I ask it to. Owned it since it had 7 miles on it. Daughter wants it now. If it keeps going for another 2 years it’s hers. Love that little car so much.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Bring a trailer used to mean something totally different in the beginning.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

Largely OEM 04 FXT, but that oem came off an 06 STI. So FXTi on Koni struts. Engine was STI intake all the way back. Died when the power borked the 5-speed gearbox.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Due to a thread on another site, I recently remembered how my 04 would somehow leak fuel from the manifold when it was cold, causing a strong fuel smell in the cabin. You just lived with it, brain damage and all.
[Call from new owner as he's starting his car in SLC heading back to OR] "hey uh... What's that gas smell?"

"Oh yeah, fuel intake hose needs to be replaced. $15 hose, just a pita to get to, but totally doable by yourself. If you can't find one, get a screw clamp for the drive home."

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
And also that those with money are buying up all the resources with the gap being huge....

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
And also that those with money are buying up all the resources with the gap being huge....
Is just a strange transaction. Barrett actually had had a sale in the mid 60's a few years ago. Bring a Trailer then sold one of these for over 80k.

Can remember hearing this car has a great balance to it while not the quickest or the fastest in a straight line. Like the S2000 Honda, it provided an overall driving experience.

But the typical buyer does not seem to appreciate things for what they are, only for what they are not... so they insist. Coil Over Shocks, Liberty Walk Fender Flares, Turbo and NOS - then it's what the car maker had in mind. Right??? :disgust1:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Is just a strange transaction. Barrett actually had had a sale in the mid 60's a few years ago. Bring a Trailer then sold one of these for over 80k.

Can remember hearing this car has a great balance to it while not the quickest or the fastest in a straight line. Like the S2000 Honda, it provided an overall driving experience.

But the typical buyer does not seem to appreciate things for what they are, only for what they are not... so they insist. Coil Over Shocks, Liberty Walk Fender Flares, Turbo and NOS - then it's what the car maker had in mind. Right??? :disgust1:
Is a car a good investment?

Sure, if you never drive it and keep it in a barn.

Who does that? People who can afford to buy two or not drive it because they have 10 other cars. There are lots of cars that if you didn't put any miles on would probably be worth 3x or more in 20 years.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
A friend had an Integra Type S (round head light one) - not the same car obviously as the R - but man what a pile of a car. A reliable pile, that is.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Who does that? People who can afford to buy two or not drive it because they have 10 other cars. There are lots of cars that if you didn't put any miles on would probably be worth 3x or more in 20 years.
Even a mint low miles 993 Turbo didn’t keep up with the stock market. They’re not an investment.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO

I have a friend that bought a 2000 Corvette a few years ago that is worth more now than when he bought it. He puts 2,000 miles on a year.
A Honda S2000 beat to shit with a spoiler made out of old pressure treated deck wood is probably worth more than it was 15 years ago.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
3 days left.
I don't get it. There is a black C4 LT4 right now on BaT with like 21k miles. Clint up the streets has like 32k on his and half regrets buying it because he never drives it. My '94 had 148k on it when I rolled it and my C5 has just over 200k now. I have enjoyed the shit out of both, rain or shine.

My '01 was $48k new, I paid $14k with 72k miles on it. 1 clutch and 3 sets of tires later, I'll be lucky to get $7k. But it's been fun and I'll likely buy another. There are a lot undriven.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Corvette, Mustang as for Domestic retain value because of the ability they have to emulate the previous generation platform - powertrain and/or proportions. With Corvette recently doing mods to it also retain if not increase value - C4/C5 underpinnings on a C3 for example. You don't need to have this explained to you I'm sure.
Either way there's a tie in to a large market. Supra, Integra Type R for ex., Skyline, all are fine cars. Seems the 'tuner crowd' is what drives a market-cap type scenerio. I don't get it either. Am sure the Vic Edelbrock era of car tuning had the same oversight but there's no way there was such hype around getting an original 32 Coupe w/ a Flathead...

We'll see about this Sale - there's an ass for every seat.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
If this sells for less than $20k with an Integra Type R going for over $100k, that would be weird. Clint is gonna be pissed because my guess is he paid close to $30k if not more for his with barely a few more miles.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
If this sells for less than $20k with an Integra Type R going for over $100k, that would be weird. Clint is gonna be pissed because my guess is he paid close to $30k if not more for his with barely a few more miles.

supply/demand. No shortage of 90s corvettes out there. Less than 4000 type r were built. Between the two I would prefer the type r… but I wouldn’t pay that money for the privilege! Corvette at less than 20k seems like a deal.