Quantcast

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I can’t believe they don’t have a better fire suppression plan other than to abandon ship with 4,000 cars on board. No fire doors to close off a section? They don’t have a sprinkler system that pumps sea water to the fire?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I can’t believe they don’t have a better fire suppression plan other than to abandon ship with 4,000 cars on board. No fire doors to close off a section? They don’t have a sprinkler system that pumps sea water to the fire?
A few things.

First, when it comes to safety, some new hazard or manifestation hits from out of nowhere every single time you think you had it all figured out.

They pack cars tight in these things. I would assume they put the cars down as low as possible, so the ship doesn't tip over, but on those decks, they are usually wall to wall (see video). If plastic, interiors and other combustible stuff starts going, it's not going to take too many cars before it's an inferno that you can't stop. Your fire suppression system has to be activated early enough, has to have the right coverage and effect, has to not malfunction, and even still, it simply won't anticipate every possible situation that could ever come up.

These ships often transport lots of heavy equipment and other cargo with wheels, it's usually not just cars. They will reconfigure decks, raising and lowering them, as necessary, to fit cars. Just by that fact, it doesn't seem like there's a comprehensive fire suppression system, since the decks are basically removable, or at the least, if there is, that fact introduces some significant complexity (like turning all the valves back on).

Lots of equipment has batteries too, not just cars, but once you get thermal runaway, it's damn hard to prevent additional thermal runaway, the best you can usually do is keep cooling it with continuous flowing liquid, but that can be difficult to do, these ships aren't crewed by thousands of sailors that can hook up hoses and fight fires in every nook and cranny. The hazard may have just presented in a scale that was not possible for them to deal with.

This is a pretty interesting video though:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I know many people love their Subaru cars, but I am ready to light ours on fire and push that piece of shit down a hill. Although it probably wouldn’t make it down the hill. :rant:
I am ambivalent about our subie. On the one hand, it is _car_, and nothing more. It goes at a reasonable clip, is reasonable to drive, and is reasonably solid. On the other, it's the only car I've ever had a transmission die in, and it died at 9k miles. It was arguably less reliable than the alfa in that the alfa technically never had an issue that prevented it from getting from a to z. Knowing my penchant for driving absolute trash, that's really saying something. I think the subaru hype is just that, but people absolutely love them...they are nothing more than generic cars with weird engines and AWD

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
Either vehicle has the water pump, timing set or head gasket woes, I do believe subaru has them more often tho for sure.
I’m an idiot for hanging onto it as long as I have. 2014 2.5 premium Outback.
Bought with 38k on the clock has 140 now.
Has burnt 1/2-1 quart/1000 miles since day 1. Dealer said that’s in spec :s
Wheel bearings failed at 80ish
It eats headlight bulbs (1 every 2 months maybe) alternating sides. At least those are super convenient to change (remove wheel well liner)
Today the awd took a shit as Mrs got stuck in 2” of snow (yes it has new Michelin all seasons).

Compared to the 04 accord I had that went to its next home at 265 that burnt no oil, no wheel bearings and I think I put two headlights in it in the 10 years I owned it.

Rant over. Thanks for listening.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Apparently now that fire boats are on scene they say the Batteries in all the EV are cooking off now and the suppression efforts are severely hampered by the lithium and magnesium in the cargo manifest. Pretty much a worse case scenario.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
It eats headlight bulbs (1 every 2 months maybe) alternating sides. At least those are super convenient to change (remove wheel well liner)
Today the awd took a shit as Mrs got stuck in 2” of snow (yes it has new Michelin all seasons).

Compared to the 04 accord I had that went to its next home at 265 that burnt no oil, no wheel bearings and I think I put two headlights in it in the 10 years I owned it.

That almost sounds like my Volvo vs Acura experience. The Volvo was a major mistake.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

The AWD took a shit? How does that happen, broke a shaft?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Apparently now that fire boats are on scene they say the Batteries in all the EV are cooking off now and the suppression efforts are severely hampered by the lithium and magnesium in the cargo manifest. Pretty much a worse case scenario.

Yeah, thermal runaway basically makes more and more cells go bad and catch fire.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That and you cant put out a magnesium fire with water
Yeah, but non-alloyed magnesium like that is pretty rare. These tend to manifest all sorts of cargo and pack out as much as they can though, to maximize the value of a trip.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

A friend's wife had a Mini Cooper that burnt a quart every 700 and they were told it was in spec. Newer cars with low tension piston rings and possibly turbo chargers are going to burn more oil than an older simpler engine but that is rediculous. My turbo engine burns about .5 quarts every 10,000 mile oil change interval.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I know many people love their Subaru cars, but I am ready to light ours on fire and push that piece of shit down a hill. Although it probably wouldn’t make it down the hill. :rant:
Don't get me going on my dislike of Subaru. It's not a bad brand/car but they are far from being good.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
So, you also don’t sell Subaru?
New Subaru? No franchise where I work. I would sell Subaru if I had to, you don't need to like something or to sell it, even it is a turd. I have to sell 2-3 used Chevy Equinox a year and that is probably the worst vehicle I have ever seen in my 15+ years.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
New Subaru? No franchise where I work. I would sell Subaru if I had to, you don't need to like something or to sell it, even it is a turd. I have to sell 2-3 used Chevy Equinox a year and that is probably the worst vehicle I have ever seen in my 15+ years.
I think if I was in the business, I would make a point of not selling turds - even if people were lining up to buy said turds.