Quantcast

crashmtb

Chimp
Dec 14, 2020
Looks like a laugh riot, but at the rate singer is going they are going to run out of donor cars

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
I dont get Singer.
I imagine they are nice as the 87th car on a collection.... but I dont really get them.
They are so modified, they are pretty much brand new cars.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I generally hate the Baja 911 thing, but I'll make an exception for this one. Thus far Singer has never set a foot wrong, they kick all the ass.

Sounds like you understand them exactly. Brand new cars, built exactly how the owner wants it, but without the extra weight the 911 has developed over the last 30 years.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Sounds like you understand them exactly. Brand new cars, built exactly how the owner wants it, but without the extra weight the 911 has developed over the last 30 years.
Talking about those old Porsches that arent old Porsches... I liked the Ruf execution since I first saw it.

With the bespoke carbon tub and the horizontal springs.

Not a fan of manuals on 500hp cars tho.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Talking about those old Porsches that arent old Porsches... I liked the Ruf execution since I first saw it.

With the bespoke carbon tub and the horizontal springs.

Not a fan of manuals on 500hp cars tho.
I especially like the RUF because they make mid-engined.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Anybody actually use rear seats on coupes, as rear seats?

If I ever use mine, its just my 3yo and 5yo on the ride to my in-laws... or maybe once or twice in the lifetime of the car, a friend of mine while we try to play clown-car leaving a party or something, but its more of a joke than anything.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

If I ever use mine, its just my 3yo and 5yo on the ride to my in-laws... or maybe once or twice in the lifetime of the car, a friend of mine while we try to play clown-car leaving a party or something, but its more of a joke than anything.
I have...but it's very very rare. Mostly I don't want people back there kicking around with their seats pinned to the front seats. It's nice to have the storage, but if I had a car with the engine not in the front, I'd assume the storage area would be in different places, like the hood, or far back like the Cayman. I think the 911 gets more and more ridiculous with each refresh, in that they keep it fairly well on-top, but it requires more and more exotic tech to do so, because it's an inferior chassis as compared to a mid-engine, like their 911 RSR. This means development and R&D are higher and the price keeps going stratospheric, but people think they really lose something if you drop a 911 body on top of a cayman chassis. I don't. Mostly, they bitch about the rear "seats". I find it ridiculous. Plus in a coupe, those seats just aren't very accessible even for gear. I put gear in the regular trunk 99% of the time.

You get people in auto forums making ridiculous claims, like the 911 is "more mid-engined now". WTF? It's rear-engine. I don't know how, but I think it gets perpetuated somehow that the engine is over the axle or some crazy thing. I usually "educate" them with this picture I made:
mid engine.jpg

Last edited:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
I have...but it's very very rare. Mostly I don't want people back there kicking around with their seats pinned to the front seats. It's nice to have the storage, but if I had a car with the engine not in the front, I'd assume the storage area would be in different places, like the hood, or far back like the Cayman. I think the 911 gets more and more ridiculous with each refresh, in that they keep it fairly well on-top, but it requires more and more exotic tech to do so, because it's an inferior chassis as compared to a mid-engine, like their 911 RSR. This means development and R&D are higher and the price keeps going stratospheric, but people think they really lose something if you drop a 911 body on top of a cayman chassis. I don't. Mostly, they bitch about the rear "seats". I find it ridiculous. Plus in a coupe, those seats just aren't very accessible even for gear. I put gear in the regular trunk 99% of the time.

You get people in auto forums making ridiculous claims, like the 911 is "more mid-engined now". WTF? It's rear-engine. I usually "educate" them with this picture I made:
View attachment 154414
MIght be blasfemous, but I sincerly think the AMG GT platform makes for a much better than the 911 (at least the non-GT/really-turbo versions). I dont like the 991 non-GT sounds, like really dont like them. Sounds like an old beetle.
The GT packs a V8, I dont care for rear seats, and there is a bigger "sense of ocassion" when climbing aboard one, and going for a ride.
The non-GT 911s are like, meh, in comparison. They dont scare me. AMG GTs do scare me.

I liked it worlds better than the 997, and more than the 991. 991 interiors are something else, tho.
Around here, AMG GTs are more expensive and have depreciated less than comparable 911s.

Havent driven one of the new 992s yet.

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I have a motorcycle, a van, and a bunch of bikes. Sold my car (Audi Allroad) a couple years ago and don't really miss it. If I had a bunch of extra dollars and space it would be rad to have a really nice fast coupe/convertible, but it's not a priority for me.

Anyway, people will argue about it forever - pick a configuration and be a dick about it, right? - but the location of a conventional ICE won't matter for much longer.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
GT4 is damn nice, but having seen what just a regular S can do (racing against it), I wouldn't turn it down. People bitch and moan all day about the 4 cyl, but holy shit. There are two cars with amazing exhaust that sound like a jet fighter (in a good way) at the races I participate in. One's one of those hellcat durango things. It's funny as hell to watch him race it, but 707hp and it sounds every bit the part, and the other is a 718 S with aftermarket exhaust. It's not the engine, it's the exhaust and you can damn near tune any sound out of an exhaust you want (talking not just about the rear axle back, but header lengths, shapes, etc.).

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

Granted I have a shitbox, but I have a four door hatchback/wagon and never use the rear seats.

The last time I used them was two or three years ago in North Carolina, driving two friends up to the top of a trail.

Otherwise yeah, rear seats are useless. Mine are permanently folded down to accommodate room for MOAR activities. :D

If I had an E63s wagon, itd be the same. :)

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Overlanding by crashmtb, on Flickr
911s very versatile. I’d rather a turbo than one of them AMGs though.
geez...and to think the amount of panty wadding that happened when i posted the guy with the rtt on his porsche beating the crap out of it....having fun....

i'd love a convertible...

crashmtb

Chimp
Dec 14, 2020
geez...and to think the amount of panty wadding that happened when i posted the guy with the rtt on his porsche beating the crap out of it....having fun....

i'd love a convertible...
That’s probably because RTTs are dumb, generally. :D
the one in my picture might be for sale!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I am pretty damn happy with my fancy VW. If I had a shit ton of money for a vehicle it would be this, you know for the implications.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Nice car for sure but the price for that thing must be insane and the buyer has ordered another one too. It's good to be the 1%.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I dont get Singer.
I imagine they are nice as the 87th car on a collection.... but I dont really get them.
So you DO actually get them.

They are air cooled classic lined "new" cars that will cost you black market organs. What's not to love?