Quantcast

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Not a fan of this at all, I think it looks stupid/clown car. The OG safari 911 looks pretty cool, but this looks like my 7yo drew a 911 and they built it.

Granted, I'm not a 911 fan for a lot of the reasons listed (rear engine because reasons) but they keep making them better and better. I also don't get the air-cooled thing, it's like a layer of stupid on top of a layer of tradition also because reasons. I get it when it's a 70s era "I enjoy not having AC" sort of vehicle, but giving it all the electronics and fancy shit then making it stupid because reasons just seems...ridic.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Golf R? I have a 2017. Great car.
Yeah 2018 here. A bit of overkill for where I live as people drive slow and there is lots of traffic. But when I get it on an empty winding mountain road or high speed limit western highway it blows my mind. It rolls just well at 90 MPH in the middle of fucking no where Nevada as it does 30 MPH.

Also great at hauling bikes, dogs, gear and people. Jut not all at the same time.

Pretty much the ideal car for me, although I wish we got the Sportwagon R option they have in Yurp.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Yeah 2018 here. A bit of overkill for where I live as people drive slow and there is lots of traffic. But when I get it on an empty winding mountain road or high speed limit western highway it blows my mind. It rolls just well at 90 MPH in the middle of fucking no where Nevada as it does 30 MPH.

Also great at hauling bikes, dogs, gear and people. Jut not all at the same time.

Pretty much the ideal car for me, although I wish we got the Sportwagon R option they have in Yurp.
Assuming you've seen this. Sportwagen R = easy weekend project!

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
As a driver of a 15 year old station wagon....

the newer 911 ARE too big, they're grand touring cars now instead of real sports cars.
I'm sure I'd enjoy driving a 718S moar than a new 911.

Now a 991 GTS? giddyup.

I think my wagon (or a truck) plus a fun car would be a blast. I'll need a larger garage first.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Actually due for new wheels this year. What's out there that's small and revy with a stick shift and crank windows with flyout quarter glass?

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru

the fwd or turbo never bothered you?
Turbo lag and a car´s inability to be rotated with the throttle (no dorifto, just mild rotation) just feel a bit strange to me.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Certainly not an easy install, but I got one for mine. Are you saying it is illegal for you? Where are you again?
Germany, home of the technical supervision association. Unfortunately it’s not legal as VW haven’t specified a towing capacity and they would find out as we have to have our cars checked every few years.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I was really close to getting one, but alas, no trailer hitch allowed over here.
no trailer hitch allowed? Towbars only? Or what? that seems weird.
the newer 911 ARE too big,
it's pretty wild how big newer cars are getting. I compared specs for a 2001 M5 with my Alfa, and they are very close. One is a midsize exec sedan, and the other is a compact sport sedan with a cramped backseat. Overall dimensions are similar though.
Actually due for new wheels this year. What's out there that's small and revy with a stick shift and crank windows with flyout quarter glass?
MIATA Is Always The Answer
Sounds like the Toyobaru BRZ will finally get a decent engine next year, should be a fun ride.
I have often wondered why there are so few compact RWD manual sedans. Proabably because nobody will buy them, but then the WRX sells like hotcakes...
Turbo lag and a car´s inability to be rotated with the throttle (no dorifto, just mild rotation) just feel a bit strange to me.
Nothing wrong with turbo, but I can't stand FWD based AWD. The AWD system on the Alfa is phenomenal, it was great on the Infiniti I had before too. Very neutral in a drift and comfortable to push hard. The Rav4 was like a big wheel just spinning tires and plowing straight ahead no matter what.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

No. This is fairly powerful daily driver on public streets, I am rather happy never rotating or drifting or otherwise losing traction. I just want a fun version of basic transportation and this does just that. I do all my stupid shit on a bike.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
The new R seems like it has solve this but then they have gone ahead and ruined the infotainment system.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
People say turbo lag, but these cars that have hot-v setups, the turbos piping right off the manifold, like 1" away, with twin scrolls, etc., they all produce max torque from like 1500 to 1700 and all the way through the range to peak around 5-6K. It's not possible to be experiencing 1970s 930 turbo "lag" where you had to get it up to 4K to make boost and then suddenly you were out of control. It's throttle lag, auto/dct transmissions set for the most efficient gear, having to downshift several times when you hit the gas aggressively. Many of these have driving modes that "fix" this, and anyone that has driven such a car knows there's no "lag" to speak of, but IMO, this term is used way too much when it doesn't apply to modern cars. Hell, my 6.2 460tq V8 doesn't jump when I'm in 6th gear at 1000rpm. It cruises just nice like that and it will pull out of nearly any bog or load, but I have to get the RPM up around 4K for it to really come alive and give you that seat-of-the-pants. This too has adjustments for throttle-lag/mapping and again, big difference depending on the setting. Subaru is always the very last to bring any good turbo tech to the US, so the WRX/STI are generally extreme poor examples of this, but they tend to stick in people's minds as examples of turbo cars. Yes, their lag is terrible, because it takes till 2800-3200 to get to boost and close to full torque. That's not the majority of turbo cars anymore. Poor throttle mapping and trans programming (for efficiency) is mostly to blame.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
People say turbo lag, but these cars that have hot-v setups, the turbos piping right off the manifold, like 1" away, with twin scrolls, etc., they all produce max torque from like 1500 to 1700 and all the way through the range to peak around 5-6K. It's not possible to be experiencing 1970s 930 turbo "lag". It's throttle lag, transmissions set for the most efficient gear, having to downshift several times when you hit the gas aggressively. Many of these have driving modes that "fix" this, and anyone that has driven such a car knows there's no "lag" to speak of, but IMO, this term is used way too much when it doesn't apply to modern cars. Hell, my 6.2 460tq V8 doesn't jump when I'm in 6th gear at 1000rpm. It cruises just nice like that and it will pull out of nearly any bog or load, but I have to get the RPM up around 4K for it to really come alive and give you that seat-of-the-pants. This too has adjustments for throttle-lag/mapping and again, big difference depending on the setting.

The new R seems like it has solve this but then they have gone ahead and ruined the infotainment system.

There needs to be a law requiring tactile buttons for common features, it really is a safety issue.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
There needs to be a law requiring tactile buttons for common features, it really is a safety issue.
Yeah, there's some shit that just defies any fucking clue.

The rotating knob selector thing in my BMW worked well. That was decent. It was a bitch to try and type out words with, which you would do presumably at a stop or with voice assist or some shit, so you can have a touch screen, but to control everything with touchscreen is asinine. It's like lithium-ion powered shit that's intended for the cold and touchscreens on bike computers. No one needs or wants that shit. Give me buttons that work no matter how wet my gloves are.

Yeah, there's some shit that just defies any fucking clue.

The rotating knob selector thing in my BMW worked well. That was decent. It was a bitch to try and type out words with, which you would do presumably at a stop or with voice assist or some shit, so you can have a touch screen, but to control everything with touchscreen is asinine. It's like lithium-ion powered shit that's intended for the cold and touchscreens on bike computers. No one needs or wants that shit. Give me buttons that work no matter how wet my gloves are.
And in motor vehicles that one can feel and operate without removing eyes from the road.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Hell, my 6.2 460tq V8 doesn't jump when I'm in 6th gear at 1000rpm. It cruises just nice like that and it will pull out of nearly any bog or load, but I have to get the RPM up around 4K for it to really come alive and give you that seat-of-the-pants. This too has adjustments for throttle-lag/mapping and again, big difference depending on the setting.
Curious...what do you drive? I have a guess.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
SS 1LE, the year I got it, and every year but the present, it’s only been offered in manual.
Thought that might be the case due to the 6.2L V8, that exact torque value and it being a manual. I have a 1SS 1LE myself (2018).

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My car has a cassette player. :rofl:
Right on. Here's mine (just removed the fender badges though). 2020 was supposed to be the year for lots of track time. And then...

My username is the same on Camaro6 if you are over there.

View attachment 154460
JamesNoBreaks on C6 and ironically, 2020 was my first year getting any track time. Several races and it was a blast.
IMG_5340.JPG

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
So you were one of the guys that pulled that off?! I was going to do that myself but it looked like a nightmare, so I just picked up an older 4Runner for bike/camping/outdoor stuff. If nothing else, having that hitch would make it handy to get an extra set of tires to the track.

Speaking of going to the track, I have lots of laps in various things but it has been many years. The 1LE was going to remedy that. Sometimes stuff just gets in the way.

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
you might have enjoyed my older brothers big block V8 NB..500-600hp...powerglide...ford 9 inch rear end....

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
you might have enjoyed my older brothers big block V8 NB..500-600hp...powerglide...ford 9 inch rear end....
aw yis sir.
had a camaro with a 396 big block way back in the day when they werent as rare/expensive. that car was a riot.

I now have a 6.2 liter AMG, which is the updated german version.

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
aw yis sir.
had a camaro with a 396 big block way back in the day when they werent as rare/expensive. that car was a riot.

I now have a 6.2 liter AMG, which is a german camaro.
his other fun cars were...

2.0L 8V turbo mkII GTI
2.0L 16V turbo vw scirocco
3.0L VR6 turbo corrado

Edit: also 1975 hang ten edition dodge dart...small block 410 CI V8...

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I try to spend as little time as possible in cars. This comes in part from soul sucking hours in traffic on my way to/from work for many years. The other part is mostly because I love fresh air. If I have the time, there are a thousand other things I’d rather be doing. Given this is a largely North American audience this is probably seen as blasphemy.

That said, there have been some iconic cars over the years. Not a fan of the bloated status symbol route Porsche has taken of late. 70s and 80s Porsches are most interesting to me.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Ive been mussing about getting a 70s mercedes sl with a v8.
I like those, as well as those from the 90s, all boxy with the pop-up roll bar.

large_classic-mercedes-benz-300-sl-r107-cabriolet-roadster-1989-white-for-sale.jpg

Cars have gotten too big over the years.

Last edited: