Quantcast

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I try to spend as little time as possible in cars. This comes in part from soul sucking hours in traffic on my way to/from work for many years. The other part is mostly because I love fresh air. If I have the time, there are a thousand other things I’d rather be doing. Given this is a largely North American audience this is probably seen as blasphemy.

That said, there have been some iconic cars over the years. Not a fan of the bloated status symbol route Porsche has taken of late. 70s and 80s Porsches are most interesting to me.
I got 5200 miles on Strava last year, riding my bikes. That's more than I drove, so that's somethin.

Traffic sucks though, you don't buy a "fun car" to drive in traffic, there's just no point. That's why my Hyundai has the adaptive cruise control and other tech stuff, because we do get some bad traffic in the summer on all the highways that access the outdoors, from endless boats and RVs, so it's best just to set the ACC and never have to press the brake or gas and you get there when you get there.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Same thing here
My C63 sees 2-3k miles a year. 2-3 500 mile day trips a year, and then 4 mile errands around the house once a week, plus the occasional track day.

My hyundai santa fe/mazda cx9 see most of the day to day. And they do a mighty fine job at what they do, but they just dont chew on the brainstem like a good ol V8.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I got 5200 miles on Strava last year, riding my bikes. That's more than I drove, so that's somethin.

Traffic sucks though, you don't buy a "fun car" to drive in traffic, there's just no point. That's why my Hyundai has the adaptive cruise control and other tech stuff, because we do get some bad traffic in the summer on all the highways that access the outdoors, from endless boats and RVs, so it's best just to set the ACC and never have to press the brake or gas and you get there when you get there.
You live in alaska, right? I have to imagine your idea of traffic is very different from mine.
Mine is this... and I look at it and notice, it's actually kinda moving!

congestion_ph07.jpg

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Portland at 8 and no Seattle? @Westy to verify. Portland sucks, but not worse than Seattle.

Well Seattle traffic can be horrible depending on a few variables. Driving through downtown during rush hour is fucking pointless. Before Covid I worked on the other side of downtown from where I live. But with a new tunnel I get to drive under downtown and the experience is rather pleasant.

If you live in the burbs and work in the city your life sucks. If you live in the city and work outside like I do, shit isn't bad.

Traffic up North of Everett is actually worse.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Not sure how their methodology works but I am happy I don't have to do the routine of 10 miles in 1.5-2 hours anymore.
My office is moving next month. It was 30-40 minutes (25 of it pretty fun usually) and now will be more like an hour because it's further into town. I will likely continue to WFH 90% of the time, so my car hasn't moved much since March.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
You live in alaska, right? I have to imagine your idea of traffic is very different from mine.
Mine is this... and I look at it and notice, it's actually kinda moving!

View attachment 154516
Take that, make it one lane, replace half the cars with RVs and boats, stretch it out for hundreds of miles, no place to pass or if you do, you just end up behind another boat, there you go. The last stretch, about 50 miles, is always the worst. That can take hours and it shuts down frequently in the summer due to crashes and shit.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Take that, make it one lane, replace half the cars with RVs and boats, stretch it out for hundreds of miles, no place to pass or if you do, you just end up behind another boat, there you go. The last stretch, about 50 miles, is always the worst. That can take hours and it shuts down frequently in the summer due to crashes and shit.
Sounds like hell.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I'm still driving a 2003 Honda EP3 Civic.
Type R powertrain swap, etc etc etc.
Did about 5K KM / 3K miles last year.
Pretty much a toy, hauls my bikes and lets me run a few errands.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'm still driving a 2003 Honda EP3 Civic.
Type R powertrain swap, etc etc etc.
Did about 5K KM / 3K miles last year.
Pretty much a toy, hauls my bikes and lets me run a few errands.
What kind of Honda does a pirate drive?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
People say turbo lag, but these cars that have hot-v setups, the turbos piping right off the manifold, like 1" away, with twin scrolls, etc., they all produce max torque from like 1500 to 1700 and all the way through the range to peak around 5-6K. It's not possible to be experiencing 1970s 930 turbo "lag" where you had to get it up to 4K to make boost and then suddenly you were out of control. It's throttle lag, auto/dct transmissions set for the most efficient gear, having to downshift several times when you hit the gas aggressively. Many of these have driving modes that "fix" this, and anyone that has driven such a car knows there's no "lag" to speak of, but IMO, this term is used way too much when it doesn't apply to modern cars. Hell, my 6.2 460tq V8 doesn't jump when I'm in 6th gear at 1000rpm. It cruises just nice like that and it will pull out of nearly any bog or load, but I have to get the RPM up around 4K for it to really come alive and give you that seat-of-the-pants. This too has adjustments for throttle-lag/mapping and again, big difference depending on the setting. Subaru is always the very last to bring any good turbo tech to the US, so the WRX/STI are generally extreme poor examples of this, but they tend to stick in people's minds as examples of turbo cars. Yes, their lag is terrible, because it takes till 2800-3200 to get to boost and close to full torque. That's not the majority of turbo cars anymore. Poor throttle mapping and trans programming (for efficiency) is mostly to blame.
Agreed. Modern turbo cars are not very laggy. I rarely get throttle lag in my car, but that's usually when the car and in particular the transmission is cold, plus I am making a hard 90* turn. Actual turbo lag is pretty rare even so, it's something that I actually like. I can drive my car between 1500 and 2500 RPM without being on boost very easily. Power is adequate for taking the kids to school and picking up groceries. Alternatively, I can floor it at 2200 RPM and by 2500 I'm making plenty of power and torque that is pretty flat through 5000RPM.

True, it's no replacement for a big V8 with instant-on torque at ANY RPM, but it's far more efficient and easy to drive. Plus, a turbo 4 flattens out the power curve compared to a peaky NA engine.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
We're number 1, we're number 1!

But seriously, traffic has corralled my living location to what I can afford close to where I work, and where I work that isn't in the city. It's insane out here, but well insulated from fluctuations in hosting values at least. I hope COVID teaches us about allowing people to work from home, because my commute is like 23 minutes right now on a days I do go in.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Skyline runs the ridge of the West Hills. Rocky Point goes from Skyline down to the Columbia River. Skyline is mostly fun, but it's supposed to be 35 through most of it. It is "End Speed Zone" down by Rocky Point

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I don't lose traction much on that road, but it's really fun. Rocky Point Road has become popular thanks to this asshole.

I also stay in my lane. :rofl:

I mean the "sport" of drifting. That road looks fun and I honestly don't have much issue with people driving fast, but drifting is like the endzone dance after the scoring drive. Watching untalented racers slide around corners while better drivers have no issue keeping up with them (like that ferrari above) is just gross.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I mean the "sport" of drifting. That road looks fun and I honestly don't have much issue with people driving fast, but drifting is like the endzone dance after the scoring drive. Watching untalented racers slide around corners while better drivers have no issue keeping up with them (like that ferrari above) is just gross.
Drifting is like every video ever made by bike manufacturers of their riders "getting rad" on switchbacks and turns.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

I feel the same way about people skidding through corners on bikes

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I can appreciate the control it takes to drift well, but my goal when driving is to see how well I do within my traction limit. To just burn through tires makes no sense.

Of course I have exceeded that to failure before, but I learned.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I can appreciate the control it takes to drift well, but my goal when driving is to see how well I do within my traction limit. To just burn through tires makes no sense.

Of course I have exceeded that to failure before, but I learned.
without drifting Lightning McQueen would never have won the Piston Cup, just saying.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Oooh, Cosworth are making a 4L NA V12 that will rev to over 12000RPM, and it will have a manual transmission strapped to it, nuts!
Rendery thing-
1610116826024.png

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Oooh, Cosworth are making a 4L NA V12 that will rev to over 12000RPM, and it will have a manual transmission strapped to it, nuts!
Rendery thing-
View attachment 154662
Plenty of YT videos of the car from a few months ago when it was revealed. Also would not say no if someone gave me one.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Damn, that T.50 is pretty sweet. Looks kinda like a MClaren, is there a connection?

Also, I don't know about you guys but if I ever buy a car like that it needs 2 seats so I can scare the crap out of my passengers.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Damn, that T.50 is pretty sweet. Looks kinda like a MClaren, is there a connection?

Also, I don't know about you guys but if I ever buy a car like that it needs 2 seats so I can scare the crap out of my passengers.
yes

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru

That car has 3 seats. Driver seats in the middle
Gordon Murray designed the original mclaren f1. He was the technical director of Mclaren F1 in the Prost/Senna years when mclaren was winning everything.

The T50 is the F1 sucessor, just not branded mclaren.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Golf R? I have a 2017. Great car.
Almost out of warranty, sell it and get the new Y
I went and watched one drift event, it was okay but I wouldn't go again.
Then again I wouldn't want to go watch a bunch of fuckwitts aiming to do the biggest schralp in what would have been a nice berm either.