Quantcast

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Humans can and will get used to nearly everything, always have; some BC Roman dude has a quote about ‘man does adapt to any circumstance’ or some shit like that, and except in extreme circumstances we pretty much always look back on history with highly rose tinted glasses. It’s probably a survival trait.

In the 80s I hated most 80s music; now, I ran so far away. There are millions of examples of similar.
Well, everything except gaping non-functional kidney grills.

Seriously, some cars are hit with the ugly stick. The current honda civic is ok, has some critics and the R kind of went over the top, but that's the point of the R? But go back a few years ago, not 10 years, but more like 5, and they had some hideous ones that were pretty bad. Then go back to the 2007 or so, those were pretty clean and decent looking.

My point, not everything gets better. Yes, some of it grows on you, the last gen BMW 3-serious never did and the new one looks pretty bland...but it sure doesn't look as bad as an M3/M4/4-coupe does now. Some of the stuff stays bad.

That electric 4GC doesn't look as bad as the above BMWs, but the grille is still baffoonery.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
feel like the E60 bangle design aged remarkably well....not sure the flared nostrils will look good in 10 years.
It only aged well because the newer models are hard to tell apart from the old ones, and they got no prettier along the way. I genuinely can't tell how old most Bimmers are, once the "new car shine" wears off, they all sorta look the same. Somehow a clean, well maintained pre-Bangle 3 or 5 series still looks newer than a Bangle 5.

I work near one of BMWs secret design studios, and see those new mega nostril M3s and M4s all the time, they will erase the legacy of Bangle styling, holy fuck they're ugly. Pictures do not do them justice, it's actually impressive how bad they are, especially in that weird pre-production "camo" wrap pattern.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
It only aged well because the newer models are hard to tell apart from the old ones, and they got no prettier along the way. I genuinely can't tell how old most Bimmers are, once the "new car shine" wears off, they all sorta look the same. Somehow a clean, well maintained pre-Bangle 3 or 5 series still looks newer than a Bangle 5.
Yeah, this is spot on.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
It also makes me realize how much human energy/capital is put into hundreds of permutations of effectively the same thing. It’s almost as though cars are all approaching the same asymptote... it makes you wonder why there are so many.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Since we are talking bmw, the rise of fake in their cars shows where they are headed. Fake engine sound piped through the sound system, fake vents/mouldings, fake intakes?!

Also, when I was going to buy a new car in 2019, I was leaning heavily at a 3 or an x1. I went to the prime dealership in town, went inside, poked around for 45 minutes... inside. None of the 10-15 salespeople came to meet me or inquire. I left and bought another brand.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
It also makes me realize how much human energy/capital is put into hundreds of permutations of effectively the same thing. It’s almost as though cars are all approaching the same asymptote... it makes you wonder why there are so many.
Wife and I remarked on similar the other day sticking to the car theme.

Next time you're driving along, look at all the mid-size SUV's you see now. If they didn't have a badge on the back you wouldn't know what they were and they're all nigh on identical looking.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Wife and I remarked on similar the other day sticking to the car theme.

Next time you're driving along, look at all the mid-size SUV's you see now. If they didn't have a badge on the back you wouldn't know what they were and they're all nigh on identical looking.
Yes, it’s especially clear for that segment.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

I work near one of BMWs secret design studios, and see those new mega nostril M3s and M4s all the time, they will erase the legacy of Bangle styling, holy fuck they're ugly. Pictures do not do them justice, it's actually impressive how bad they are, especially in that weird pre-production "camo" wrap pattern.
I like a Bangle 3, the angular lines and compact shape fit well together. Do not like that 5 and never have. The eyes are swinted towards the sides and that takes away from the classic BMW shape a bit. Then there's that trunk, not as bad as the 7, but still pretty bad. I like the next 2 5 series gens after the Bangle, especially in M-sport trim, they had a nice body shape IMO, decently looking, but not loud.

The newer 7 with the giant nostrils...that just looks bad.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Since we are talking bmw, the rise of fake in their cars shows where they are headed. Fake engine sound piped through the sound system, fake vents/mouldings, fake intakes?!
They've been doing the fake sound thing for a long time now. BMW sound broken anyways, so maybe its for the best?

Fake vents, intakes and whatnot are horrible, I don't get them. Toyota is one that is guilty of sticking them on every car. Added costs, complexity, bad looks, take away the specialness of cars with functional vents etc....why?

Kind of referencing your other posts about why are there so many cars, yeah I don't know either. BMW, again, is on the spot here. Why do they need 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 series of cars, which all have multiple models? Or like their "coupe" models; they make a 4 door version of the 2 door version, which was spun off of the 4 door version of the car. What?

Last edited:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Eff this future where every feature is turned into a service to generate recurring revenue streams.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2021/06/volkswagen-plans-to-offer-subscriptions-for-autonomous-driving-extra-ev-range/
If it added zero cost to the car, and you only got charged when you used it, then I'm okay with using it as a subscription, but you know that's not how it will be. You're going to get $2500 baked into the cost of the car, then get charged $8.50/hr to use your own shit, fuck that.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Yeah with a car I want to own a feature, not rent it. Having said this, if the car comes with Autodrive hardware (and I mean L5 or whatever we’re calling FSD these days) and my locality hasn’t made it legal yet, and the $10k or whatever is taken off the sticker price, then let’s talk. I’d still like the buy outright option once it is legal though.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Also at the moment the ID Buzz is still defo my ‘most looked forward to’ EV. As much as 2.1second 0-60 is cool, it is utterly utterly unnecessary and essentially a penis thing.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Subscription based stuff is so dumbbbbbbbb. I get why it is done, but come on!

But owning vs renting is a whole other issue. Tesla has been guilty of removing features from cars that were sold on the used market, saying something like the feature wasn't actually sold to you, so you don't get the privilege of using it unless you pay again. And then there is virtually every piece of software out there that isn't open source, you're essentially just paying for the privilege of them allowing you to use it.
But does it haul the mail?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
A DH bike takes skill and fitness to ride at funspeed, and involves significant and genuine personal risk. This what makes it truly repeatably rewarding and fun. Any idiot can push an accelerator pedal and be propelled forward in a straight line and will mostly be endangering others who did not consent to such.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
But owning vs renting is a whole other issue. Tesla has been guilty of removing features from cars that were sold on the used market, saying something like the feature wasn't actually sold to you, so you don't get the privilege of using it unless you pay again. And then there is virtually every piece of software out there that isn't open source, you're essentially just paying for the privilege of them allowing you to use it.
This was one case, of a car that had been bought back by Tesla as a lemon law iirc. So Tesla was the owner in the interim before the eventual used car dealership. It wasn't like Tesla removed features during a private party to private party transaction.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
This was one case, of a car that had been bought back by Tesla as a lemon law iirc. So Tesla was the owner in the interim before the eventual used car dealership. It wasn't like Tesla removed features during a private party to private party transaction.
I thought there were a few of those?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Most articles seem to be able the first dude. The last link is the source of the other claims... and again is of a vehicle purchased from Tesla. Not a private party to private party transaction.

When I sold my 3 it had FSD and the Acceleration Update. As far as I know it still does for the new owner--I certainly would have heard about that.

Tesla does many questionable things but this is way overblown imo.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
So tempting.View attachment 161173

They lost me at "smooth body lines". :twitch:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
It does 0-60 in 1.99s and then needs to charge for 10 minutes to repeat that, is that correct?
Not sure, Jeff's gets here next month. He has been doing paper comparisons with his R35 (1100ish bhp). Should be some interesting tests once he gets his.

FB_IMG_1623457654676.jpg

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
if you got the instagram....follow the link....triple turbo pdk diesel powered beetle launching pikes peak run i think....

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i did not know porsche did a panamera wagon....sport turismo....whatever...

saw one today.....

if i had the money....one for every day of the week.