Quantcast

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
So, talk to me about adaptive cruise control. Wifey wants me to go for a ‘20 Silverado that has this (one of the only ‘major’ changes between a ‘19 and ‘20). Is it a game changer? Does it work? Any of you try the Chevy flavor?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
So, talk to me about adaptive cruise control. Wifey wants me to go for a ‘20 Silverado that has this (one of the only ‘major’ changes between a ‘19 and ‘20). Is it a game changer? Does it work? Any of you try the Chevy flavor?
Haven’t tried Chevy’s implementation but it’s nice, as long as it’s a full speed range one (as opposed to beeping and turning off under, say, 20 mph).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Custom Trail Boss with the 6.2L V-8 starts at $43,865 including destination fee, making it the most affordable light-duty truck with more than 400 horsepower on the market.

Damn.
Next year's 426 hp, 775 lb-ft torque F-150 Lightning Pro at $40k - $7.5k Federal - state where applicable will dethrone that solidly.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
My buddy's dad "lost his grip" on a basketball when the guy who used to rip through our neighborhood came hauling ass through one day. It solidly smacked his hood then ricocheted up and shattered the windshield. Guy lost his shit, but when Tim offered to go inside and call the cops for a police report, the guy backed down. Apparently trying to explain why he was going too fast to stop for a basketball, let alone not having slowed down for kids in the street, wasn't on his to-do list. He always drove through slowly after that.
Towns here put in speed bumps and poles in the roles that cars must squeeze through, in subdivisions. Only problem is that there aren't enough of them to stop asshats from speeding down residential streets like that.

The absolute worst are the idiots who speed up and down their own street.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Love it in our Subaru, annoys me that our much newer truck just has regular cruise.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Next year's 426 hp, 775 lb-ft torque F-150 Lightning Pro at $40k - $7.5k Federal - state where applicable will dethrone that solidly.
It just blows me away that $43k is considered a cheap truck. They don't offer my trim level anymore (WT for work truck). Or a Cheyenne vs the Silverado.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Subaru is really nice. Honda is really nice. I actually don't like the Audi (to the extent that it wasn't a requirement for me) because it doesn't factor range well and accelerates until hard braking.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I just drove back about 2 hours behind RVs and all sorts of cluster **** stuff. You basically get in a line and although there are some passing lanes, you don't make much headway. About 4 miles out of town it went to an almost standstill, creeping along at 10mph or so. Not sure what that issue was, but it could just be all the damn RVs and busses.

Adapative CC was absolutely magic. I literally didn't have to hit the brakes or the throttle the whole way, following vehicles in traffic. It's the rear deal. I've had a few cars with it and I won't get another automatic without it. It's how cruise control should have been from the beginning. Make sure the ACC has stop and go function. A few of the dumbed down ones don't, at a slow speed they'll "kick off" automatically (and then the car starts accelerating into the one in front of it). My parent's old subaru and a toyota I rented did that, but most of them *should* have stop-n-go, where if the car in front stops, your car stops. If it goes within say 3 seconds, your car follows. If it doesn't, you hit "resume" when traffic starts again.

The car has to "lock on" to the car in front and the car in front has to be moving. So you could theoretically run into a solid object or parked car at 60mph or whatever, need to always be following a moving car and be "locked on" for it to work. Not all that hard in practice, but you have to know what it does and doesn't do.

It eases the stress of driving big time IMO. I was looking at mountain goats on the side of the highway.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
You know, I'm not sure that I've used CC more than a handful of times since I started driving.
The combo of the seat position and throttle in the girlfriend's Tacoma means I have to use it on long drives, or my foot/ankle starts to hurt.

I find the adaptive cruise control in the Tacoma to not be that good. It slows down too fast of it detects a slower car infront, which means it then needs to speed back up to match the speed.

I just use the regular old dumb cruise control.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Have it in both the Leaf and the CX-5. For freeway driving, I love it. Never got a chance to try Chevy's. Wasn't even an option on the Bolt when I drove it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Have it in both the Leaf and the CX-5. For freeway driving, I love it. Never got a chance to try Chevy's. Wasn't even an option on the Bolt when I drove it.
Bolt still doesn't have it in gen 2. But the Bolt EUV, just so marginally bigger and more expensive, does have SuperCruise as an option.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Car market is completely fine.

About a year or so ago, a buddy sold his 4Runner (for a profit), then turned around to buy a similar mileage and condition GX460/Prado (for the intl folk). Walked away with almost $15k in cash and a nicer vehicle.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
If I get tailgated by another Ford truck with those big rear view mirrors…

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
You know, I'm not sure that I've used CC more than a handful of times since I started driving.
I typically don't, either. But the wife's new whip with that adaptive cruise is pretty cool. I've only driven her car a couple times, but it was nice. Still will likely forget it's there.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I typically don't, either. But the wife's new whip with that adaptive cruise is pretty cool. I've only driven her car a couple times, but it was nice. Still will likely forget it's there.
Wifey had me turn off the auto wiper blades because she's now gone through the carwash with them on twice. She still doesn't know how to use cruise control.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I love ACC, but it's only of value in certain circumstances. I've found it more of a PITA to use in heavy traffic than just driving with your foot on the accelerator. Once you're in moderate traffic, it is wonderful, and I can't really imagine going back to dumb CC, but it really does seem to be what you make of it. I haven't used mine in stop and go, but I tend to just stick to using it on highway trips.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
it is so ugly i kind of want....braxillian made landcruiser with mercedes diesel engine....

enough room for two rows of seat with room to spare

Screenshot_20210727-184914_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20210727-185345_Instagram.jpg

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I use the adaptive cruise so much my rear brakes are worn which is what Volvo use to modulate speed. I use it a lot in the city too to make sure I do not drive to fast. Highway is even better especially on days with light traffic.