Quantcast

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i saw a mustang ev.....call it something else....all the meh styling one could imagine....

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
So, I’m a little Dodge-Curious. (2019 1500) I always thought they were a little too ‘maga-Bro’, but there are some things that are appealing, like the interior, the fuel mileage, and the towing capacity. And supposedly ride quality.
Any jeers from the peanut gallery?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
So, I’m a little Dodge-Curious. (2019 1500) I always thought they were a little too ‘maga-Bro’, but there are some things that are appealing, like the interior, the fuel mileage, and the towing capacity. And supposedly ride quality.
Is it an EV? Nope.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Rams are even Maga-bro territory up here. And ya know the ones, with rusted fenders, wheels that stick out half a foot from said rusted fenders and usually some kind of douchey sticker on the rear window. :rofl:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
They do not make Dodge trucks anymore. Just automotive versions of subconscious requests to be embraced from behind.

1627913940843.png

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The evolution of trucks over the last two decades is comical.
The marketing of them has been highly successful in massaging the fragile male ego.

There was a user on here "F150Lightning" whose location was "my lug nuts require more torque than your honda makes"

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
The RAM trucks are pretty nice, the ride is superb. I prefer a Ford for towing but you can't beat the price and ride of the RAM. Western New York is 'maga-bro' country so I can't really comment on that.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
After getting a house and a garden I would love a pickup. Actually a small ev pick up with be perfect for what I need as it would never go far from the house.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
No regrets on my Ram. It's been a good truck for the 50K miles I've owned it.

Only thing I've heard, and I don't know how prevalent it is, is that the Hemi in the 1500 had issues with lifters and ticks. But again, I don't know if that's a widespread thing or just a vocal minority.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
There are no EV’s yet that would remotely work for my uses, sadly.
Pretty sure that this truck will be my last gasser.
I would really like to replace our work truck with an EV someday. Everything we do requires less than 200 miles range, but requires towing and payload capacity, which seems perfect for an EV.

However, just thinking about owning a new modern vehicle and all the electronic gadgets gives me anxiety about reliability.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I would really like to replace our work truck with an EV someday. Everything we do requires less than 200 miles range, but requires towing and payload capacity, which seems perfect for an EV.

However, just thinking about owning a new modern vehicle and all the electronic gadgets gives me anxiety about reliability.
An electric drivetrain is a hell of a lot simpler than one with an engine. The rest of the stuff on a modern car is the same though.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Pretty sure if you are going to have towing capacity, that takes a shitload more battery, which will also=a shitload more range.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The marketing of them has been highly successful in massaging the fragile male ego.
I can't wait until some company is smart enough to start building 1999 tacomas

It's probably the one thing I could be talked into dropping everything and helping to build a company on.

Steel, small, cargo, durable 4wd

Nobody makes that shit anymore. Just make those. Everyone liked them. I think the nissan frontiers were the most recent candidate but they just quit making those I think

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I want a truck not a sedan that fits a cooler in the bed
Plus my last toyota purchase guaranteed that it will be my last toyota purchase

In the similar vein, this shit cracks me up. Wants to market so hard to upwardly mobile outdoorsy white people.........can't fit a mountainbike in the back :rofl:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I want a truck not a sedan that fits a cooler in the bed
Plus my last toyota purchase guaranteed that it will be my last toyota purchase

In the similar vein, this shit cracks me up. Wants to market so hard to upwardly mobile outdoorsy white people.........can't fit a mountainbike in the back :rofl:

But then how would you get to show off your Yeti cooler and Kashima coat fork if all that stuff fit inside your truck?

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
An electric drivetrain is a hell of a lot simpler than one with an engine. The rest of the stuff on a modern car is the same though.
I think the issue is my frame of reference. Our current work truck probably has a grand total of 5 switches in the cab. I can troubleshoot and repair any one of them for less $100 and hours worth of my time. Things like adaptive cc, entertainment centers and safety "features" are what concern me. We have a 2021 model forklift and the number of switches, relays and nanny systems on the thing is dizzying. What is that thing gonna be like after 10 years of service?

As for load capacity vs. range, I think it is still a little early to be bench racing. If I "had to" suffer extended range to get the needed load capacity, so be it...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip>
I do appreciate that they *never* address the useless bed-size in any of their marketing pitch. :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I think the issue is my frame of reference. Our current work truck probably has a grand total of 5 switches in the cab. I can troubleshoot and repair any one of them for less $100 and hours worth of my time. Things like adaptive cc, entertainment centers and safety "features" are what concern me. We have a 2021 model forklift and the number of switches, relays and nanny systems on the thing is dizzying. What is that thing gonna be like after 10 years of service?

As for load capacity vs. range, I think it is still a little early to be bench racing. If I "had to" suffer extended range to get the needed load capacity, so be it...

I get that. I used to commute over a mountain pass in a 1966 Volvo. The alternator literally fell off and it kept running for the 30 mile trip home. I probably could have powered the ignition with a 9 volt battery for a while if I had to.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I never want to own another car without proper ACC. Makes long trips so much less strenuous, it really is night and day for me.
2 weekends now coming back on mtb trips where there is stop-and-go traffic and it's just so less strenuous when you are "caught" in traffic and there's no way out.

But a huge benefit, why I'm posting this, is you really don't realize how much you are missing in being able to look left and right while you are driving. You see so much more stuff it's pretty amazing. Still monitoring, but you don't need to be on it nearly as much and it's amazing what you pick up that you never noticed before.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Picked up cabin and engine air filters from the dealer for ~$45. Fitted in < 5 minutes. Saved ~$85 from what they wanted yesterday when it was in for inspection and oil change.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Hey now... my 4-door truck has a functional-sized bed. It's just that I can't fuckin' park it anywhere 'cause it's so goddam long. :mad:
longest thing i ever saw was when we first moved to dennver in our apartment complex around 97 or 98....quad cab dodge with fullsize rear doors plus a extra cab....and the 8 foot bed....he would back that thing into a spot and half the bed would be on the sidewalk

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
5400D75A-5A8D-4313-923F-2143C419E17C.jpeg

The EV battery dilemma is just getting worse. The good news is that once you buy the lift for the battery and the special hoist to get it out of the box the actual install takes about 15 minutes.