Quantcast

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
While I think Germany is taking the right steps, one thing to reduce the emissions in transport the politicians do not want to touch: a general speed limit on the Autobahn. Calculations show that having a 130 km/h limit everywhere would reduce the emissions by 30%, 110 even more. But besides the Green party no other touches it. Other thing would be to make domestic flights prohibitly expensive.
A general speed limit would certainly have a direct effect, but even in times when the Autobahn mainly consists of construction sites, the speed limit debate is comparable to the gun issue in the states and the kind of hot potato no one will seriously touch. I wouldn't mind it much, but I think it's not worth it to have this political battle when there are other areas that are not as symbolically charged and could yield greater results.

I was really surprised to see Germany cited as a positive example, since energy policies over the last two decades have been mixed at best and downright disastrous in certain areas. There are far more renewables in the mix, but at the same time christian democrats are actively sabotaging the construction of new wind farms. Electricity in Germany is also ridiculously expensive while also being extremely dirty when compared to our neighbours, which is what happens when you make the idiotic decision to shut down all your nuclear plants long before the heavily subsidized coal powered ones. This one really does my head in, energy companies are still allowed to raze entire villages not far from my home to dig out some dirty coal with really low energy density.

Add to that the giant eff you to the rest of the EU and Ukraine that is the completely unnecessary Nordstream 2 gas pipeline, and I don't have much faith that this country will manage to make the necessary transition in time. If any party had promised to shut down NS2 and keep the nuclear plants running, they would have had a good chance of getting my vote in the upcoming election. Alas, the big parties are busy sucking up to Putin while the Greens still have too many anti nuclear power stickers left over from their early days.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
for reference, I have no issue with EVs nor talking about cool upcoming EVs nor anything like that...but if you want to debate energy politics and which elon memes are the best, use the other thread and keep this one about the cars themselves.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

from december....just heard it mentioned on radio today

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
She can drive, too. I'm excited, I think it's a long time coming. DeTomaso built in America is pretty bad ass.
Legacy brands “getting back into it” with craziness like that car (which my 10 year old self would have been very excited about… look, it’s Racer X’s car!) seems like a last gasp before kicking the bucket.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Legacy brands “getting back into it” with craziness like that car (which my 10 year old self would have been very excited about… look, it’s Racer X’s car!) seems like a last gasp before kicking the bucket.
Bills don't pay themselves. They never got the level of respect they deserve. There is an early 70's that goes to Beaches that was there last night. They were really great cars, but Italian design with American muscle didn't equate to sales. I'll likely go next week, too. I'll grab a pic, it's hot

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Bills don't pay themselves. They never got the level of respect they deserve. There is an early 70's that goes to Beaches that was there last night. They were really great cars, but Italian design with American muscle didn't equate to sales. I'll likely go next week, too. I'll grab a pic, it's hot
I agree, they were cool in the 70s. One of the best/classic designs of that period imo.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I agree, they were cool in the 70s. One of the best/classic designs of that period imo.
DeTomaso Mangusta all day long over the Pantera. Way more classic exotic shape IMO. The Pantera was "ok", but then it got a whole bunch of 80s "cladding" and body kit crap to make it look more "80s" and it just took away from the car, much in the same way the later Countach was so far removed from the LP500 prototype. It also seems like the Pantera isn't all that much different than the Pantera, as the general angles seem the same...
01a65d724aa8c856d35aa1fff09ebde88c114f1af3.jpg
01fd659e22bb7b52e9a46ede3faf2f57f77d5c35be.jpg
010b6d4d083d2ddbf2c4edbbb919a174f745cc4af5.jpg

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
DeTomaso Mangusta all day long over the Pantera. Way more classic exotic shape IMO. The Pantera was "ok", but then it got a whole bunch of 80s "cladding" and body kit crap to make it look more "80s" and it just took away from the car, much in the same way the later Countach was so far removed from the LP500 prototype. It also seems like the Pantera isn't all that much different than the Pantera, as the general angles seem the same... View attachment 164942View attachment 164943View attachment 164944
That looks pretty classy too. I'll take one of each.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
there must be a restoration shop somewhere in colorado as i seem to remember seeing quite a few while living there....

there is a guy my older brother and i know in nc who has one....a lazy restoration project...among other cars...

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
DeTomaso Mangusta all day long over the Pantera. Way more classic exotic shape IMO. The Pantera was "ok", but then it got a whole bunch of 80s "cladding" and body kit crap to make it look more "80s" and it just took away from the car, much in the same way the later Countach was so far removed from the LP500 prototype. It also seems like the Pantera isn't all that much different than the Pantera, as the general angles seem the same... View attachment 164942View attachment 164943View attachment 164944
The best car name in automotive history.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
"and now I buy a new car or 2nd home nowhere near where I live once a year" :D

never trust a man who owned a trials bicycle

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Ooh, R8. Classed in Super Stock, no? Get mopped up by Z06s as usual?
The R8 didn't run, I think it was someone's support vehicle. I don't know what it classes in, but I'd be surprised if it was SS, but then again they tend to not update vehicles after classing them, even after much faster stuff comes along.

The Z06 is damn fast, I think he either won his class or got 2nd overall, real close.

Fastest car was a Tesla 3 Performance. Fastest cars at our events are usually: Tesla Model 3, Fiesta ST, Z06, Cayman. They are the most consistently fast and usually all fighting for the top spots.

Last few events someone (usually a different person) shows up in a C8 the day of, except we can't do registration the day of, it has to be in advance, so this keeps repeating.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
On the topic of whether it's better to buy a new ev or keep your current vehicle:
This is a more recent video than the last one I posted...
keep old car: $0 purchase, continued gas and maintenance, although next to nothing now working from home

buy new ev: 50-150% annual salary, LOL wut

also......we're just doing the thing again

I can tell you from directly seeing it myself in places I've gone to camp and enjoy the stars for years, this is not good. NV is about to start looking like wyoming does with gigantic open pit mine bullshit. I'm all for dropping petroleum, but I'm even more for americans sitting their fatasses down and not driving and flying all over the god damn place just as a matter of "gee, honey, let's go look at this thing in the brochure".

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The R8 didn't run, I think it was someone's support vehicle. I don't know what it classes in, but I'd be surprised if it was SS, but then again they tend to not update vehicles after classing them, even after much faster stuff comes along.

The Z06 is damn fast, I think he either won his class or got 2nd overall, real close.

Fastest car was a Tesla 3 Performance. Fastest cars at our events are usually: Tesla Model 3, Fiesta ST, Z06, Cayman. They are the most consistently fast and usually all fighting for the top spots.

Last few events someone (usually a different person) shows up in a C8 the day of, except we can't do registration the day of, it has to be in advance, so this keeps repeating.
Fiesta ST? FWD? Ugh, that's awful.