Quantcast

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
One of me very best friend's Father sold high end cars his whole career. Ferrari, Porsche/Audi, Maserati, you get the gist. He made gobs of money, sold more high end cars than anyone and was cool as fuck. One year his dealership was purchased by a large conglomerate and their new rules required that he shave his thick ass Serbian mustache that he had for about 30 years and looked like a goddamn push broom. He retired. RIP Dragi.
/coolstorybro

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
That doesn't sound right. How would they "not accept" a check for the car? (basically what BofA does, cut a check for the cost of the car, your finance is through BofA). It is normal for factory (mfr) incentives to only apply if you finance through the mfr, but otherwise that sounds bizarrely wrong. They don't care where the funds come from to buy the car. Essentially, BofA is buying the car, you are paying them back.
I think he wanted to get the deal, and I wanted to leave with the car, and while doing the math I could have saved ~$1000 over 5 years, I didn't want to have to come back. I should have planned a bit better, but dealing with BofA and auto loans has been such a pain in the ass, I decided to let it go.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The normal credit score range goes to 850 so not sure what kangaroo business is going on there

and refinance with DCU. 1.49%, no origination fee, done.

a $10 donation suffices for eligibility if you aren’t in their local organizations
Looks like I need to maintain a direct deposit to qualify for the 0.5% booster. Is that correct? I might go for it anyways as that's a killer rate. I could refi the wife's car as well and save a bit there.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Looks like I need to maintain a direct deposit to qualify for the 0.5% booster. Is that correct? I might go for it anyways as that's a killer rate. I could refi the wife's car as well and save a bit there.
Yeah might be true. Relationship benefits, I think they call it. Their interface and app for mobile deposits is fine so I use it as my primary banking institution.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
What is the :monkey: ideas on a Volvo v60 wagon? ‘17 or newer. (I founds @stoney contemplations earlier).

I’ve been in the Honda camp for the last 20 years and have had great luck. However I want a wagon for my daily. Mrs already drives an outback, really don’t want 2 outback’s for some reason.
While Audi wagons are sweet I wouldn’t fit for my day job very well since I primarily insure farmers. They judge that I don’t drive a truck already
:doh:

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
stoney, maybe you can help me out here. when I bought the Genesis, I used dealer financing. The rate wasn't horrible (3.8) but my credit score (883) can do way better. They wouldn't accept BofA at time of sale and I didn't want to walk away and come back with other finacing. Every time I've looked into refinancing in the past, I cant beat the rate I already have. Is there a way to switch financing now (two weeks out from purchase) that will get me a better rate?
1. 3.8% is a solid rate for a 883 if you took out a 84 month loan with a ton of negative equity.
2. The dealer is a complete asshole if they don't take checks from other lenders.
Did you buy a pre owned Genesis?

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Yeah, this is one way they make money, with kickbacks from the local bank they get to finance the car.

They don't give a damn if someone pays cash or not, it does nothing to the price. The dealer wants to make some money and they aren't going to make a lot by selling at MSRP and they are going to start taking hits if they are taking big discounts off that.

But yeah, always get pre-approved, sometimes your insurance can have decent rates, sometimes it's worth it joining an CU just for their rates. Mostly, I'd just suggest waiting around until the dealer offers some of the traditional good rates, like 0, 0.9, 1.9, etc. The catch is you need real good credit, but if you are one of those "I don't use credit" guys, get a damn CC and buy all your bike stuff with it and pay it off as soon as you buy stuff. If you do it right, you get airline miles at the same time for vacation. I don't keep any balance on my CC, but I use it in this way.
Finance reserve(the percentage the bank pays the dealer) is a huge profit spot for dealers. They also pay huge flat fees if the buy rate from the lender can not be marked up by the dealer.

Dealers do not like cash buyers, especially the F&I department. On anything but entry level vehicles there is usually $1,500 to $2,500 mark up at MSRP. Before the market went crazy the national average of front end gross in franchise dealerships was $900. That is after dealer earnaback and any other manufacturer volume bonuses. Profits soar if you get into premium brands(BMW, Lexus....).

Credit Unions are the way to go for getting the best rates. Again before the market went crazy the 0% options were usually the worst way to go unless you were rolling over huge negative equity. It was always 0% for 72 months OR $3,000 cash back rebate. Take the rebate and finance with your CU at 1.99%. Your amount borrowed is much lower and so are your payments.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
1. 3.8% is a solid rate for a 883 if you took out a 84 month loan with a ton of negative equity.
2. The dealer is a complete asshole if they don't take checks from other lenders.
Did you buy a pre owned Genesis?
1. It's a 63mo loan but I carried over quite a bit of equity from the alfa (11grand? Something like that). Apparently I am retarded and either misread or misinterpreted the experian letter I got and you can't have an 883 score....but it's still good

2. yes the dealer is a jerk but I let him get away with it. I asked "If I want to bring my own financing, how do I do that" and he said something along the lines of "who's your bank [bofa] oh well they don't do business with us, you can look on their website". In reality, BofA has like an easy "we do all the work" sort of situation with participating dealers, but I doubt that they wouldn't pay for the car. At the end of the day, BofA seems to take a long time with everything, including auto loans, and I didn't want to wait on the car so I just went for it. I think I will scoop up the refi with DCU as that rate is even lower than BofA's (with all my bonus percentages). I'm just debating whether I want to open another bank account with them.

Yes, I got a 2018 G80.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
1. It's a 63mo loan but I carried over quite a bit of equity from the alfa (11grand? Something like that). Apparently I am retarded and either misread or misinterpreted the experian letter I got and you can't have an 883 score....but it's still good

2. yes the dealer is a jerk but I let him get away with it. I asked "If I want to bring my own financing, how do I do that" and he said something along the lines of "who's your bank [bofa] oh well they don't do business with us, you can look on their website". In reality, BofA has like an easy "we do all the work" sort of situation with participating dealers, but I doubt that they wouldn't pay for the car. At the end of the day, BofA seems to take a long time with everything, including auto loans, and I didn't want to wait on the car so I just went for it. I think I will scoop up the refi with DCU as that rate is even lower than BofA's (with all my bonus percentages). I'm just debating whether I want to open another bank account with them.

Yes, I got a 2018 G80.
So as far as your own financing, it's basically just like paying cash for a car, you basically get a check, cashier's check, etc., that you hand over to the dealer, for said car. You get pre-approved and get everything lined up, in these cases, they can cut said check pretty fast, but you have to "wait" for a day or two for the check, but again, it's like paying cash.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO

Yes, I got a 2018 G80.
Why can't you have a 883? I've seen pretty much every number from 0-900.

Care to elaborate on what kind of G80?

Refinance that shit ASAP. With tons of equity and your credit score you should be able to get 1.99% for 63 months no problem. It will also stick it to the dealer, they will get charged back their "commission" from the bank.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Why can't you have a 883? I've seen pretty much every number from 0-900.

Care to elaborate on what kind of G80?

Refinance that shit ASAP. With tons of equity and your credit score you should be able to get 1.99% for 63 months no problem. It will also stick it to the dealer, they will get charged back their "commission" from the bank.
I dunno, I got yelled at for reporting what came on the letter. I thought it was experian, and I remember the number 883, but that upset some monkeys. I don't really care, my credit is TIGHT so I can do whatever.

I got a pretty regular car- 2018 Genesis G80 AWD 3.8, ultimate package. It's a bit like the anti-alfa: naturally aspirated, much larger inside, and electronics work. It's not very quick but I got that out of my system with the Giulia...now I want something that isn't a chore to drive but I'm not going to be redlining it through neighborhoods either. It came with 12k miles on it, and apparently was a former lease car. I don't know much about the history other than 4k per year is bananas. It's got a few annoying issues, namely interior creaks and rattles, that I've been chasing. I've lubed the sunroof and the 9000 door seals, but you can occasionally hearing some noise from the doors, likely just some panels rubbing against each other and causing the faintest noise. It'll probably go away in time and driving....at least I hope. I've lubed everything I can reach!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The stereo in the cx5 was Bose and that was part of the reason I didn’t buy the car.
My car came with a trunk mounted sub that was annoyingly boomy. Packed it full of pillow stuffing and now it sounds great. For those who like to nerd out on the dynamics, the stuffing effectively adds damping to the system, lowering and broadening the frequency response at the cost of sensitivity.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
My car came with a trunk mounted sub that was annoyingly boomy. Packed it full of pillow stuffing and now it sounds great. For those who like to nerd out on the dynamics, the stuffing effectively adds damping to the system, lowering and broadening the frequency response at the cost of sensitivity.
I'm not enough of an audiophile to describe everything I'm hearing, but I know when I like or hate a system. The CX5 bose was like a cheap car stereo with an amp and subwoofer. It didn't sound clean and full, but rather tinny and hollow with plenty of thump. I had the bass turned way down by the end of the test drive.

The lexicon in the G90 was the best I've heard, it really was kind of astounding how good it was. The G80 is close but not quite as good IMO (even though it may be the same system). It sounds warmer with full range and excellent clarity. I have no time listening to the big systems (mackintosh/mark levinson/B+O). I did test drive a volvo V90 with the fantastic bowers+wilkins, but I don't think it was as clear as the G90.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
huh, that's what the letter I got that said "Your experian credit score is 883" blah blah. I didn't pay much attention to it because once over 800, I don't think there's a difference. Creditwise says 820, so does that ruffle your feathers less?
Same weirdness happened when we bought my wife’s car. Had them ballpark a rate with our 825ish credit before letting them actually do the credit check, and they came back with a decent rate so we said sure, finance that shit. Came back 15 minutes later and said we were both over 900 and gave us a better rate. Confused us both, but I wasn’t going to argue saving .5% on interest.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Same weirdness happened when we bought my wife’s car. Had them ballpark a rate with our 825ish credit before letting them actually do the credit check, and they came back with a decent rate so we said sure, finance that shit. Came back 15 minutes later and said we were both over 900 and gave us a better rate. Confused us both, but I wasn’t going to argue saving .5% on interest.
I read something about a FICO 9 and FICO 10 program. I'm wondering if the over 850 scores are coming from there. FICO 9 says something about downplaying medical debt...of which I have none. Anyways...

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Well new new cars on the way, should arrive in NZ end of December/1st week of Jan.
My place is so damn steep & rough that the subaru can't handle the bottom part of it near the road let alone get up the track to the top, so I've been hunting for something better.
Need proper 4wd with a low range (preferably dif lock)
towbar
clearance for decent mud tyres so I can get timber/tools up to the construction site.
Light with a smallish motor 1.2 to 2.0L for economy.
Low Km's

This one's come close to ticking all the boxes, I did think about a Suzuki Jimmy but too expensive in NZ if you want low mileage

It's old but just 52,000km on the clock
Low range gearbox
already has mild mud tyres and a roofbox
1.8L motor
Just need to fit a towbar and some seat covers (the upholstery is hideous!)

Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 9.01.59 AM.png

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Well new new cars on the way, should arrive in NZ end of December/1st week of Jan.
My place is so damn steep & rough that the subaru can't handle the bottom part of it near the road let alone get up the track to the top, so I've been hunting for something better.
Need proper 4wd with a low range (preferably dif lock)
towbar
clearance for decent mud tyres so I can get timber/tools up to the construction site.
Light with a smallish motor 1.2 to 2.0L for economy.
Low Km's

This one's come close to ticking all the boxes, I did think about a Suzuki Jimmy but too expensive in NZ if you want low mileage

It's old but just 52,000km on the clock
Low range gearbox
already has mild mud tyres and a roofbox
1.8L motor
Just need to fit a towbar and some seat covers (the upholstery is hideous!)

View attachment 167888
Is that a Forrester?