Quantcast

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Where's it coming in from, Malaysia, Indonesia?

Post up some inside pics when you can.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
On the thread of new cars via @Sandwich, just for kicks decided to look at how much we could get for Wifey's Pilot. $40k is a starting point per KBB, which means more. She's looked at an XC90 Hybrid and liked it, especially because of the safety and environmental aspect (see hybrid). The one she would want is $76,500 after sales tax and registration. But! there is $10,500 is tax credits because it's a hybrid. So, our net would be $26k for a new Volvo, which is less than our current outstanding loan is currently. Having a really hard time not doing this; the math it too good.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
On the thread of new cars via @Sandwich, just for kicks decided to look at how much we could get for Wifey's Pilot. $40k is a starting point per KBB, which means more. She's looked at an XC90 Hybrid and liked it, especially because of the safety and environmental aspect (see hybrid). The one she would want is $76,500 after sales tax and registration. But! there is $10,500 is tax credits because it's a hybrid. So, our net would be $26k for a new Volvo, which is less than our current outstanding loan is currently. Having a really hard time not doing this; the math it too good.
Take it for an extended test drive. Pay attention to Sensus. I found that touchscreen interface to be very bad for basic tasks like turning on seat or steering wheel heat, let alone changing an audio source.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Honda... Volvo... math...

Be *very* careful of this "logic." :D

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I went to a different school.
Wifey wants a new car. She got a 60% raise this year, so she can have a damn car. $21k (re-did math) for a new car - since that's all we'll be paying in addition to what we've already committed to - is nothing for a high luxury. Also, lease is probably on our radar at this point. I don't like that math overall, but it makes her happy to have new cars, and she is the one that keeps the house running, so with a negligible difference, math is good.

Honda... Volvo... math...

Be *very* careful of this "logic." :D
See lease.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The boss said on Monday that he and the wife tried to have kids and it hasn't worked out, so she is trading her SUV (7 passenger) in for a Porsche. He doesn't sound disappointed. :rofl:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
oH mY gOsH i NEEEEEEED a NeW lUxUrEEEEEEEE cAr BuT bEwArE tHe DiFfIcUlTiEs Of ThE tOuCh ScReEn inTeRfAcEsssssssssss.... why don't toshi and stoney just get married and get a g class already?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Wonder if they have strengthened the seats in the last few years? The model I had way back when had people taking Volvo to court because the seat heaters were shorting out and burning them.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Take it for an extended test drive. Pay attention to Sensus. I found that touchscreen interface to be very bad for basic tasks like turning on seat or steering wheel heat, let alone changing an audio source.
The new recharge comes with the new software from the Polestar EV

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Sorry, my take is that touch-screens are asinine for automobiles. My MS is based on human factors and ergonomics and while the GUI interface is an important factor, the basic ergonomics in the first place about having to reach a hand up and coordinate hand-eye direction/attention while driving is just ridiculous in this type of application. Maybe when self-driving tech is 20 years in the future there might be some leg to stand on, but at this time, it's a hard nope. They are just doing it because it's cheaper. People want big displays, so that's a given. The display replaces knobby and flippy switchy stuff, other lights/LEDs and that saves money. About the only thing a touch-screen is "better" at in this ergonomic sense compared to a "controller" is entering data like addresses and numbers into navigation, but that's something that should be locked out while driving anyway. My BMW I-drive where I had the "controller" at my hands natural resting spot on the center console was the best I've had in this respect, I forget if it was touch-screen too, but I think there were a couple transition years where this was the case.

There are some applications where it's just dumb to have a touch-screen and companies are doing it for perception/popular culture and to save $$$ IMO. Yeah, it works fine on a phone with your thumb there the entire time, most of the time when you don't walk off a cliff playing with your phone, but that's at least not related to the touch-screen. For these other applications, it needs to stop, it's stupid.

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Sorry, my take is that touch-screens are asinine for automobiles. My MS is based on human factors and ergonomics and while the GUI interface is an important factor, the basic ergonomics in the first place about having to reach a hand up and coordinate hand-eye direction/attention while driving is just ridiculous in this type of application. Maybe when self-driving tech is 20 years in the future there might be some leg to stand on, but at this time, it's a hard nope. They are just doing it because it's cheaper. People want big displays, so that's a given. The display replaces knobby and flippy switchy stuff, other lights/LEDs and that saves money. About the only thing a touch-screen is "better" at in this ergonomic sense compared to a "controller" is entering data like addresses and numbers into navigation, but that's something that should be locked out while driving anyway. My BMW I-drive where I had the "controller" at my hands natural resting spot on the center console was the best I've had in this respect, I forget if it was touch-screen too, but I think there were a couple transition years where this was the case.

There are some applications where it's just dumb to have a touch-screen and companies are doing it for perception/popular culture and to save $$$ IMO. Yeah, it works fine on a phone with your thumb there the entire time, most of the time when you don't walk off a cliff playing with your phone, but that's at least not related to the touch-screen. For these other applications, it needs to stop, it's stupid.
I agree. I can do almost everything in the Audi with buttons and knobs. I can push a button and use verbal controls for anything in Android Auto, which is basically all I use the rest for. Maybe 10% of my interactions that aren't actual driving are touch screen. Even then, Audi's screen sits up a little bit, so I can rest my hand on top and move my thumb, minimizing distraction. It's way better than Wifey's Honda.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

I think you will LOVE the new VW ID Buzz. Touchscreen in the middle of the car and in the square steering wheel. ;)

vw_id_buzz_wheel_0.jpg

But I am with you. Same as with cameras: as useful as a touch screen is when accessing the menu, when shooting in a rush I rely on the buttons.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm a very big fan of the genesis' "give you the option" methodology. There is a central touchscreen, but there's also a knob to rotate around. Many things can be done via the touchscreen and menus, but so much more by physical buttons on the wheel or dash. I wish the infotainment was a bit cleaner, as it's a "round" menu rather than an iDrive style with menu on the left, rotate to go into submenus, etc. Now I have to go to individual buttons to do things, and that means more time with my eyes off the road. Getting used to it though.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Audi's screen sits up a little bit, so I can rest my hand on top and move my thumb
This is key. The Tesla had the bottom edge of the screen as a reference for the seat heat/etc touch areas above said edge. The Pacifica has the bottom bezel on the screen to serve the same purpose.

Sensus was annoying because it would require two or three clicks, not at the edge of the screen. Like for steering wheel or seat heat: touch button at bottom of screen. Little menu pops upward from there. Touch either one spot or two spots up from bottom. There may have even been a third press required.