Quantcast

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
This reminded me that I took this picture the other day. Trying to find a car that fits a bike like this these days is hard.

I guess I just need to win the lottery this week and buy that RS6 wagon.
Fits like that in the Forester. Of course I rarely use it like that since I can fit 6 bikes with wheels on in the Sprinter. :brows:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Fits like that in the Forester. Of course I rarely use it like that since I can fit 6 bikes with wheels on in the Sprinter. :brows:
Every time I look at Subaru's I think about @sunringlerider's posts. Though really, I know this might be an isolated example - even my own previous Subaru was trouble free for the most part.

Though at a quick glance and they might be out of my price range as well. Seems like examples with nearly 100000km are going for around or just below $30k. A new Mazda 3 with AWD would be about $31k..

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Every time I look at Subaru's I think about @sunringlerider's posts. Though really, I know this might be an isolated example - even my own previous Subaru was trouble free for the most part.

Though at a quick glance and they might be out of my price range as well. Seems like examples with nearly 100000km are going for around or just below $30k. A new Mazda 3 with AWD would be about $31k..
Head gasket problems have been mostly resolved on newer models. We got our 2018, 43k/km at $25000+tx. They were going at $28k + with higher mileage everywhere we looked. They are not cheap for sure.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I drove a forester last week as my rental. It seemed like driving a bus. I was going to bring my bike, but didn't at the last minute. Still, my bag would have fit no problem and the bike itself with the front wheel off would have been fine. Lots of vertical room in the forester (bus-like) so you could probably stack stuff pretty well.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I drove a forester last week as my rental. It seemed like driving a bus. I was going to bring my bike, but didn't at the last minute. Still, my bag would have fit no problem and the bike itself with the front wheel off would have been fine. Lots of vertical room in the forester (bus-like) so you could probably stack stuff pretty well.
Ahaha! The bus feeling is what sold us onto the Forester! After trying some other SUV that felt like you were wrapped in a fighter jet setup with tiny back and side windows, we loved how tall and big were the windows. And it felt a biit more rugged than the CX-5 and CRV we tried.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Ahaha! The bus feeling is what sold us onto the Forester! After trying some other SUV that felt like you were wrapped in a fighter jet setup with tiny back and side windows, we loved how tall and big were the windows. And it felt a biit more rugged than the CX-5 and CRV we tried.
The active cruise control wasn't bad. The ride was a little more compliant than the Tiguan from the week before too. The steering-wheel was way too busy though with too many buttons. Also felt like solid plastic. Never did figure out what the "s" and "i" on the secondary button panel in the lower left meant/did. Much simpler (and easier to operate) climate system than the Tigger too.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Hot hatch might go for pretty cheap, wow.

Sir that is not a hot hatch!

I wonder how much that thing was beat on? I mean, it should be beat on, don't get me wrong. But I'd be leery of the transmission casing being a different colour than everything else. :busted:

It does look nice though. And at the very least being a southern car should be corrosion free, assuming it hasn't been floated up a river in the past.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Is VW kicking off the latest trendy fad, with their LED light bar that spans the entire width of the car? Calling it now. In a year there will be MOAR vehicles with this out there.

Mercedes has done it as well.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I’m 42. When I was a kid I used to go to the wrecking yard every day I didn’t have school and wasn’t a weekend. This was mid eights on so I sat in a ton of caddy’s and Lincoln boats. They were the best, tons of beige and chrome levers, comfy couch of a seat. So ya I got the one with brown interior. My grandpa always had a Cadillac until he got a Lexus in the mid 90’s. My dad told me a stories how my grandpa had 3 new 1957 Cadillac el dorados in 1957. I think one he bought in Vegas to drive home then left it at the airport and flew home on his way outta town. My grandpa was a bit crazy.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I’m 42. When I was a kid I used to go to the wrecking yard every day I didn’t have school and wasn’t a weekend. This was mid eights on so I sat in a ton of caddy’s and Lincoln boats. They were the best, tons of beige and chrome levers, comfy couch of a seat. So ya I got the one with brown interior. My grandpa always had a Cadillac until he got a Lexus in the mid 90’s. My dad told me a stories how my grandpa had 3 new 1957 Cadillac el dorados in 1957. I think one he bought in Vegas to drive home then left it at the airport and flew home on his way outta town. My grandpa was a bit crazy.
my uncle fran's father had a a old cadillac limo from the 50's and he would wear a limo drivers uniform and drive his wife around in it on the weekends for shits and giggles when she wanted to go shopping...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Is VW kicking off the latest trendy fad, with their LED light bar that spans the entire width of the car? Calling it now. In a year there will be MOAR vehicles with this out there.

Mercedes has done it as well.
several companies have been doing this with the tail lights… most notably porsche, polestar, lincoln…

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
What I think is new is the ability to pull it off in a seamless manner with leds… so you get one solid bright strip… tron style. Previously there were always hot spots where the bulbs were.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
What I think is new is the ability to pull it off in a seamless manner with leds… so you get one solid bright strip… tron style. Previously there were always hot spots where the bulbs were.
Is there a knight rider option?

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
The “heckblende” is the non lit version. I kinda like the rear lights going all the way across, but not the front ones. Being more visible is a good thing, blinding people is not. I imagine the rear lights get picked up by collision avoidance sensors as well, so it’s probably the future.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The “heckblende” is the non lit version. I kinda like the rear lights going all the way across, but not the front ones. Being more visible is a good thing, blinding people is not. I imagine the rear lights get picked up by collision avoidance sensors as well, so it’s probably the future.
Jalopnik has proposed “heckblende taillights” to modify it to include the modern all-lit ones.

My EQB, whenever it finally is built and ships, will be part of the heckblende club

CC15D019-163D-415F-9D2A-60CAEB2CE75E.jpeg

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
This - I'd really like to see a bare-bones e-car that costs about $10K and has 100-150mi range. It would be the Beetle of the 21st century, I'd think...
I don't think a 70-100 mile range in a cheap little econobox would be so bad. The problem is everyone is leaning in toward massively expensive econoboxes or luxury cars nearing 100g. I don't really want to drive 200 miles in a chevy spark, thanks.... but I do catch myself keeping an eye out for one to drive to work. Only need about 30 miles with overage for cold weather an an occasional errand, then a second/third car for driving to see the folks or whatever.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I don't think a 70-100 mile range in a cheap little econobox would be so bad. The problem is everyone is leaning in toward massively expensive econoboxes or luxury cars nearing 100g. I don't really want to drive 200 miles in a chevy spark, thanks.... but I do catch myself keeping an eye out for one to drive to work. Only need about 30 miles with overage for cold weather an an occasional errand, then a second/third car for driving to see the folks or whatever.
i see the problem being a beetle from th 60's would be constructed better than any ev in the 7-8k range...if you could sell one that cheap in the states...