Quantcast

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I wonder how performative the Ca ban on ICE car sales is going to turn out to be seeing as how we've made zero plans to actually make it feasible. I mean, I'm sure governor dumbass has it all figured out and just forgot to tell us peasants.

As much as I'm in favor of green tech and renewables, I just can't help but see most new laws and ICE bans as fancy poor-taxes. I'm sure the billionaires who can afford Rolls Royce's upcoming EV would love a ban on ICE vehicles in the LA metro area as it would go a long way toward clearing the traffic that stands between their private jets and their homes that stay well irrigated through the drought.

Why do we always use masturbation as a negative term? We a bunch of nuns who think flicking the bean is the devil's work or something?
it's mostly to force the auto makers to take this shit seriously and start building the damn vehicles. EVs are sold where there is a mandate. few are sold where there isn't. the goal is to have things people can buy, not just vaporware.
These assholes think nothing of just mandating that someone simply 'go buy a new car' because that's the world they live in.
FFS, I know you know how to read... why this drivel?! They're not going to take your gunz car away, they want the people who are going to buy new ones to buy cars that won't fuck the atmosphere. simple.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
They're not going to take your gunz car away,
The person you think I am is fucking hilarious to me :rofl: Much less the shit you think I said.

All them non existent electric powered dump trucks moving lithium substrates to the drying ponds in NV should clear up the atmosphere in no time!

This state has the largest rolling power blackouts in the nation every single summer, when it's 110deg+ in the central valley. We have a talking hairdo that literally thinks there's such a thing as an 'electric generator' issuing edicts, one who doesn't understand people die without air conditioning in those places. I've explained the real problems with these mandates many times over (the rule without the supporting research and development to make it possible is just window dressing that will cause far more problems than are solved). It's not me with the reading problem. Everything you need to know about every american I'm sure has been covered thoroughly in a guardian editorial somewhere. So go off, king.

Last edited:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
This state has the largest rolling power blackouts in the nation every single summer, when it's 110deg+ in the central valley. We have a talking hairdo that literally thinks there's such a thing as an 'electric generator' issuing edicts, one who doesn't understand people die without air conditioning in those places. I've explained the real problems with these mandates many times over (the rule without the supporting research and development to make it possible is just window dressing that will cause far more problems than are solved). It's not me with the reading problem. Everything you need to know about every american I'm sure has been covered thoroughly in a guardian editorial somewhere. So go off, king.
To be fair, Newsom goes to Montana for the summer where the air is cool, the trout and plentiful and electricity is coal fired, just as god intended. If everybody would just follow his lead the Ca grid would be perfectly adequate.

Also, you only get blackouts during the summer? PG&E is killing the game! We had a blackout on Saturday, luckily Newsom and I have two things in common, magnificent hair and enough wealth that those peasant problems don't effect us. My certified free trade, and definitely not mined by 6 year old slaves by hand, lithium back-up battery has me covered, it just won't charge the EV I'll eventually be forced to buy at a huge premium because Ca has mandated it.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
The person you think I am is fucking hilarious to me :rofl: Much less the shit you think I said.

All them non existent electric powered dump trucks moving lithium substrates to the drying ponds in NV should clear up the atmosphere in no time!

To be fair, Newsom goes to Montana for the summer where the air is cool, the trout and plentiful and electricity is coal fired, just as god intended. If everybody would just follow his lead the Ca grid would be perfectly adequate.

Also, you only get blackouts during the summer? PG&E is killing the game! We had a blackout on Saturday, luckily Newsom and I have two things in common, magnificent hair and enough wealth that those peasant problems don't effect us. My certified free trade, and definitely not mined by 6 year old slaves by hand, lithium back-up battery has me covered, it just won't charge the EV I'll eventually be forced to buy at a huge premium because Ca has mandated it.
and you honestly think it's solely because of ZEV mandates?! I can't even....
How many miles a year do you guys drive?
too much... about 10,500km / yr. (more or less 6500 miles).

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
and you honestly think it's solely because of ZEV mandates?! I can't even....

Where did either of us say that? I believe what we both said is that the mandate isn't going to work, and our fucked grid is one of the main obstacles to widespread BEV adoption here, and there's zero plan to address it prior to this alleged mandate.

Mandating something with zero ability to implement it is just stupid, hence my questioning of just how performative the mandate will turn out to be, as I believe as the date gets closer the deadline will just get pushed back, or it'll become a massive poor tax when people who can't afford new EVs will be forced to buy an increasingly old and limited fleet of used ICE cars.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Where did either of us say that? I believe what we both said is that the mandate isn't going to work, and our fucked grid is one of the main obstacles to widespread BEV adoption here, and there's zero plan to address it prior to this alleged mandate.

Mandating something with zero ability to implement it is just stupid, hence my questioning of just how performative the mandate will turn out to be, as I believe as the date gets closer the deadline will just get pushed back, or it'll become a massive poor tax when people who can't afford new EVs will be forced to buy an increasingly old and limited fleet of used ICE cars.
Because everytime anyone brings up ZEVs, you guys always start going off about Tesla owners, and other whataboutisms, in particular wrt to lithium mining. It's been pointed out to you guys before that while lithium mining is a very real problem, it doesn't offer the same existential threat as climate change. That doesn't mean nothing needs to be done about it, indeed it needs to be adressed urgently moving forward.

And there's also a recognition that ZEVs aren't the only solution to the climate crisis. In terms of mobility, there's far more to be done, including looking at settlement and land-use patterns But anytime anyone brings that up, you guys scream "get out of here you hypocritical elite, you don't know how common folk live".

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's not because the current situation is cheaper and more convenient that it's sustainable. Something, somewhere needs to give. And if it turns out to be the affordability and convenience of personal mobility as it is now known and understood in the US... There's no free lunch. There is a cost to pollution. It's not because it hasn't been reflected in the price of things in the last 70 to 100 years that it doesn't exist. Those costs are now starting to come home to roost (how much money does the US government dole out in flood/hurricane/forest fire relief a year?).... somethings got to give.

I'm no expert on the California grid, but I don't thing the rolling blackout is caused by BEVs. Nor are they even contributing to the issue. There are many known options to reduce their impact on the grid (time of day charging, different storage options etc). A quick search led me to this document, which outlines the main challenges to the grid: https://www.cpuc.ca.gov/news-and-updates/all-news/cpuc-proposals-ensure-electricity-reliability-during-extreme-weather-for-summers-2022-and-2023 BEVs don't rank.

Lastly, to your point that there's no use mandating anything if you can't enforce it, I think you're wrong. As I said before, the point is to force the manufacturers to start building these vehicles. In Canada our policy is to align our vehichle emission regs with the most stringent ones on the continent (so we don't become a dumping ground for old, polluting vehicles). The work California has done in this regard has been validated many times over up here. It's basically the only reason we have BEVs at all. With no mandate, there are no cars. The issue of price is definitely a problem. But there's no point throwing the baby out with the bath water. As the manufacturers start building more cars, and as they become more familiar with the technologies and assembly processes, there is an expectation that they will begin offering lower priced options. We've already seen that with Tesla recently dropping their prices and other manufacturers following suit. it will happen eventually.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Here's another article: https://www.npr.org/2022/05/07/1097376890/for-a-brief-moment-calif-fully-powered-itself-with-renewable-energy

I found this part especially interesting:
"That means even when there's plenty of solar power during the day, natural gas power is still part of the energy mix. In fact, on some days, solar farms are told to turn off because there's simply too much power on the grid. "

1674854952597.png

In that scenario, BEVs that have the capacity to provide power to a home can actually become part of the solution if they charge during the day, and are a source of energy at night.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
In that scenario, BEVs that have the capacity to provide power to a home can actually become part of the solution if they charge during the day, and are a source of energy at night.
Vehicle to grid is quite a cool concept. It's already being implemented (to the financial benefit of school districts!) in school buses, and as future EVs are rolled out with bidirectional charging capability it'll become more of a thing in general. The F-150 Lightning is the first one actually out with the hardware for it but at this point it's software limited to being just for vehicle to home, with V2G promised later.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Because everytime anyone brings up ZEVs, you guys always start going off about Tesla owners,
For a very good reason. If you weren't so far up your own oblivious ass you'd also notice how frequently I talk about electric motorcycles with some of the others here, that time I almost bought a used prius for 6k and lamented some more electric small pickup options, and oh yeah.....how many times have you seen me make fun electric toyotas, bmws or any of the other WAY better build evs?

You just jump to conclusions whenever anyone makes fun of maga wagons because you're too smug and sMrT to actually ask why. Elon musk almost singlehandedly killed train transportation in california. Do you even know that?

You also don't live by where most of the lithium mines are going in for north america. I do. It ain't pretty. Nevada is kind of open and windy if you haven't heard. And it's not really that cool to everyone who lives anywhere near one, including indigenous tribes who magawagon owners currently signal so hard regarding caring about now.

You want to do the planet some good? Don't just replace massive consumerism with more massive consumerism with a battery. Think about how many cars there in in north america alone. Tire dust, snow plows, salt......none of that changes with an electric car that has a detestably shorter lifespan than an ICE one.

But hey we're just dumb americans! All we know is the kardashians and guns amirite!

In fact, on some days, solar farms are told to turn off because there's simply too much power on the grid. "
That's because half the grid is shut down because it's on fire :rofl:

Last edited:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
Because everytime anyone brings up ZEVs, you guys always start going off about Tesla owners, and other whataboutisms, in particular wrt to lithium mining. It's been pointed out to you guys before that while lithium mining is a very real problem, it doesn't offer the same existential threat as climate change.
Entirely possible you have me confused with somebody else, wife and I may actually be picking up a Tesla in the near future (Hoping the force Ford's hand and the Mach E drops in price) mandate or not the new lower price and fact that I can charge it for free off the solar on my roof are the main selling features. That said, there are a lot of Tesla owners around here that think they've single handedly solved the climate crisis and have not the faintest clue where the lithium in their batteries comes from, acknowledging the downsides of a technology isn't the same as dismissing it. Mentioning my neighbor charging his Tesla off his generator wasn't some statement about how dirty Tesla's are, or a whataboutism, it was to point out that a guy who bought an EV as a commuter also had to buy a generator because our power is so unreliable firing up the generator may be the only way he makes it to work the following day. It's a real problem, and hand waiving or calling Woo and I Maga bros doesn't make it not a problem. Failing to address it makes it a bigger problem.

More than anything I'm taking the piss out of our inept leadership here in this State, no matter what side of any issue you're on around here, the dumb laws that come out of Sacramento will make you shake your head.

Absolutely there are days where we produce enough green energy to power everything, but if you live here you know there are also loads of days we have no power at all. V2G is great, unless the grid is no longer connected to anything because it's a bit breezy. Again, mandates can work, ours won't. It will fail/become irrelevant for the same reason that all the other bullshit mandates in this State fail, there's no support implemented to bring them to fruition, and no thought put into how people will work around them. We have 12 years to figure out a reliable power grid, build generating capacity that can provide for all the new EVs on a regulars basis, not just in ideal conditions, build out a charging network so people in rentals can own EVs etc, etc. As of today, no major effort at the State level is being spent on any of those obstacles, that either means we have a hell of a lot of faith in the free market, or we're not taking our own edit seriously. Based on a lifetime of living in this State, I'd bet money it's the latter. You know what will for sure happen? People will just buy used cars for new-car prices from Az residents, Interstate commerce laws make it so Ca can't ban that, so there we have it, a poor tax and defeated mandate.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I hit 60000km in one year, a few years ago. But I think I'm more around 35-45000km per year now.
assuming approx 100km/h you spent the equivalent of 50, 12 hr days driving that year. I assume you enjoy driving?!

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
assuming approx 100km/h you spent the equivalent of 50, 12 hr days driving. I assume you enjoy driving?!
I don't mind driving in general, as long as it doesn't involve the city.

But where I live, have to drive to go anywhere basically. Thirty minute drive to work, hour drive to nearest good trailhead etc

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I don't mind driving in general, as long as it doesn't involve the city.

But where I live, have to drive to go anywhere basically. Thirty minute drive to work, hour drive to nearest good trailhead etc
wow, ok, i gotcha. I hear you on the city driving! I don’t know how people do this on the daily.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Don't just replace massive consumerism with more massive consumerism with a battery.
Stop pointing out the elephant in the room. Capitalism can spend it’s way out of any problem - including existential ones.

That said, as soon as there is a viable commercial offering to replace my ICE work truck, I plan to capitalism myself one…

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Got to Hoon around in my deceased FIL's '23 A6 today. Sophisticated and fun, but I like my truck better.
(Haha, I just found it it is some kind of hybrid, and has an electric motor, I had no idea).
Have to drive a Macan to the funeral.
These cars are silly.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator