Quantcast

The Classic Ride: Mt Tam via Old Railroad and Eldridge Grade

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I decided to finally ride "The Ride", Mt. Tamalpais. I heard the way to go was Old Railroad Grade to the top, then Eldridge down; but it was near impossible to find this loop on the internet.

I realized later that many rides either go up Eldridge because it is safer than decending the rocky fireroad, or skip Eldridge altogther. Anyway, a quick trip to a Mill Valley bookstore scored a great trail map of Tam, so off we went.

We were able to find parking at the trailhead on West Blithesdale, a feat in itself. I will probably ride from town next time. A suggestion: be careful about what you do at the trailhead, particularily at popular trails. A guy pulls up in his brand new 4-Runner (with out-of state plates), pulls out his $600 bike and then takes a piss by the side of the road. Use a little discretion, dude.

Anyway, off we go. The Luna Women's team were also there in force, about 20 women, and I was glad they started off before I did. My ego could not handle that many women hammer past me.

Old Railroad Grade is an easy ride to the top, but you get some nice views along the way. The obvious break point is the West Point Inn, which is not accessible by car! You have to either hike or bike there.

We finally made it to the top of the East Peak of Tam. Nice ride there, although there were plenty of bikers and hikers on the first Sunday without rain.

Eldridge Grade is what I came to ride. Steep and loose, it is probably the hardest fireroad I have descended. It is the kind of ride which would have put me into a panic when I first started mountain biking, but you still need to be careful lest you wipeout on a loose turn.

Later, we were on Indian Road, which had some very nice step downs which even the XC guy caught some air.

The way back involved riding Hoo-Koo-E-Koo trail, which was suprisingly boring considering its fame thanks to Gary Fisher. It can be a drag though if you are not ready for one last climb, but it was nice pre-finale.

Finally, we headed back down Old Railroad Grade back to the trailhead. It was fun passing all the late arriving riders heading to the top, knowing that we made it ourselves.

Ride Route:
Park at West Blithesdale
Old Railroad Grade
Summit Road
Back on Old Railroad Grade
stop at West Point Inn
Continue on Old Railroad Grade
Down Eldridge
Down Indian Road
take connector to Hoo-Koo-E-Koo
Head back down Old Railroad, Summit Road, and Old Railroad again.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I do that loop from the City sometimes, always a good way to stretch the legs. Most people don't ride up Eldridge because it is steeper than Railroad, and many people don't ride down Eldridge because (last I checked) it's not legal - it's only legal going up. But you had to get around the signs at the top so maybe you already knew that... :)

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
OGRipper said:
I do that loop from the City sometimes, always a good way to stretch the legs. Most people don't ride up Eldridge because it is steeper than Railroad, and many people don't ride down Eldridge because (last I checked) it's not legal - it's only legal going up. But you had to get around the signs at the top so maybe you already knew that... :)
Hmm. I thought Eldridge is legal now both ways...

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Hmmm, I'm going to have to hit up that trail this spring. I've been wanting to ride Mt. Tam for a long time now. Never made it up there though.

Would you mind pming or posting more specific directions to the trailhead, I'm from the southbay and don't really know the area. Or if there is a specific map I should grab, that would be great.

The Ito

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
OGRipper said:
When did they change that? I thought the top section use to be only legal going down. It's been a long time though.

Edit -- Now that I think about it maybe I was a little renegade back then.

I use to ride the road from the top -- a mile or so down -- and drop in on to another fire road(???). That had to be the most sketch fireroad around.

btw -- The quintessential ride is the Pine Mountain loop. Start in town and ride the road or Repack to the top. Do the loop and descend back to town on repack.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Wumpus, I might be wrong but I think you got it backwards.

There are so many quintessential rides out there...sometimes I like to ride out from the city, over GGB, into the headlands, ride the dirt all the way out to Tam, the meet up with friends at the Pelican Inn for beer and grub before hitting the beach and scamming a ride home...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Yeah, I called my thread "The Classic Ride" because Tam and Slickrock are probably the two most well-known rides. I don't think the way I went is even the best route on Tam, but it is the most fun legally...