Quantcast

the collective "seasons" trailer

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I favour the DH-race style vids, but the filming in this one is taking it to another level. Amazing footage.

Great looking vid.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
DOH! I watched Roam on the stationery trainer last night for only about the 3rd time last night. I hate hucker flicks...but that flick is good. This looks like it's taking that a little deeper.

Oh...and Vanderham's whip in ROAM....now that is nice!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Is anything that's not straight up race footage a 'hucker flick?'

I think these guys just make bike movies. About bike riding.
put it this way. I watched Progression in the NWD series and it was a hucker flick fo the most part that managed to somehow make Peaty and Rennie boring...not my stylie.

But ROAM, for whatever reason, had a good element of speed and the feeling of one, long epic descent in most of the segments maybe?

But the motion cams and cable cams are making a lot of the segments "move" now, so it may just be technology and skill now helping all the filmers add motion to all types of riding.
:imstupid:

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Man, they did a great job with that. I might need to buy my first MTB dvd...

Although I dunno if I can sit through anymore slo-mo, lots of nature shots, hippy-Indian music introductions . More thrash metal!

erastusboy

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
The shot at 126 where the camera is panning left to right as the rider goes through that series of turns.

It warms the heart.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I still wish anyone could make a "dramatic" bike movie that is anywhere near as badass as any of Jorgen Leth's stuff from the 70's. Thats the kind of **** that gets me stoked to ride. Until then, I'll watched Earthed or a BMX video. Fancy camerawork and "production values" mean nothing to me. Competent camera work, good music and the right aesthetics, that's all I ask for...

More amphetamines and less bong-rips.

The Collective just can't do that for my hipster-ass. All of their movies have all come off as forced, overproduced and in-authentic to my conception of bike riding.
I guess to me, Epic actually means blood and guts suffering epic. Not forced epicness brought to you by quads, hours of building stunts and essentially what amounts to posing to sell backpacks, deraileurs and expensive jackets.

Gimme 1975 any day. Those guys are selling Sausage, Saws, eastern bloc compact cars, insurance against worker lead strikes and bombings and Chewing gum. And they are all pissing blood afterwards. Half of them are high on a mixture of brandy, opium and amphetamine, and the other half are just trying to survive another week before they literally go back to the coal mine.

Suffering is epic.
Struggle is epic. Bluebird skys, backflips and square lips are surface dressing for the fundamental underlying lameness and lack of direction of mountainbiking in the age of big-budget "freeriding".

We don't have a real media that needs this content to sell magazines, or a profitable video market. Forcing a fake lifestyle through
"advertorial" and big budget "epic" freeride movies won't magically make mountainbiking surfing or snowboarding. We make our own trails, we don't camp in remote places waiting for waves or snow. All we need is a narrow strip of dirt to do the **** we do best.

Racing is epic. Taking pictures of theoretically aesthetically pleasing bike riding isn't. Not unless there is some substance beyond making fancy shapes in the air to back it up. A race course, some tape and a focus beyond making pretty brings the level of significance of filmed mountainbiking way up for me personally.
But then again, I am certainly a documented curmudgeon and hater of all aspects of post 2000 mountain bike culture, so who gives a hell what I think? White parts, designer clothing and content-less consumerism driven by our lame media for everyone!

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Say what you want about too much hype. The sweet scrub and the jump to to turn to jump sequence just before it gets me so stoked to ride it's not even funny.

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
Maybe you just don't like NWD movies. There's a lot to dislike :D
high five!

im glad this new movie seems to be more along the lines of "bikes are fun" and away from "oh man, i just love buff single track and hanging out with my bros around the camp fire after a long day of pedaling hard over smooth terrain on my big bike and maximum bro-age..." im very excited about this new one.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
I still wish anyone could make a "dramatic" bike movie that is anywhere near as badass as any of Jorgen Leth's stuff from the 70's. Thats the kind of **** that gets me stoked to ride. Until then, I'll watched Earthed or a BMX video. Fancy camerawork and "production values" mean nothing to me. Competent camera work, good music and the right aesthetics, that's all I ask for...

More amphetamines and less bong-rips.

The Collective just can't do that for my hipster-ass. All of their movies have all come off as forced, overproduced and in-authentic to my conception of bike riding.
I guess to me, Epic actually means blood and guts suffering epic. Not forced epicness brought to you by quads, hours of building stunts and essentially what amounts to posing to sell backpacks, deraileurs and expensive jackets.

Gimme 1975 any day. Those guys are selling Sausage, Saws, eastern bloc compact cars, insurance against worker lead strikes and bombings and Chewing gum. And they are all pissing blood afterwards. Half of them are high on a mixture of brandy, opium and amphetamine, and the other half are just trying to survive another week before they literally go back to the coal mine.

Suffering is epic.
Struggle is epic. Bluebird skys, backflips and square lips are surface dressing for the fundamental underlying lameness and lack of direction of mountainbiking in the age of big-budget "freeriding".

We don't have a real media that needs this content to sell magazines, or a profitable video market. Forcing a fake lifestyle through
"advertorial" and big budget "epic" freeride movies won't magically make mountainbiking surfing or snowboarding. We make our own trails, we don't camp in remote places waiting for waves or snow. All we need is a narrow strip of dirt to do the **** we do best.

Racing is epic. Taking pictures of theoretically aesthetically pleasing bike riding isn't. Not unless there is some substance beyond making fancy shapes in the air to back it up. A race course, some tape and a focus beyond making pretty brings the level of significance of filmed mountainbiking way up for me personally.
But then again, I am certainly a documented curmudgeon and hater of all aspects of post 2000 mountain bike culture, so who gives a hell what I think? White parts, designer clothing and content-less consumerism driven by our lame media for everyone!

geez...how pissed off were you living in flat ass coastal SC....:rofl:

TomBo

Monkey
Jan 13, 2004
Calgary,Alberta
Steve Smith, he's so hot right now. Steve Smith.

I wish they would just focus on the big mountain and racing aspects. I love how well they film and portray, fast / technical riding. Leave the jibbing and comps out.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
geez...how pissed off were you living in flat ass coastal SC....:rofl:
It was kinda awesome for a self-loathing wannabe Belgian such as myself. You can ride on a straight, flat road, through a swamp, for 25 miles at a time. Roadkill, trash and traintracks as far as the eye could see. You link 4 or 5 roads like that together in the middle of nowwhere, in January with the junctions being 3rd world villages with higher infant mortality rates than Tanzania, and you've got my idea of fun.

Hell, until the race-track went out of bussiness I was actually in the process of getting together a road-race called L'Enfer Du Sud. 140 miles, starting Tybee island in the old whore-house district, racing through the cobbles and italiante grandeur of Savannah's blocks, up through the docks of the port, and over into South Carolina to race through the sandy logging roads and farm-market roads of Jasper county. The finish was going to be on a 17degree banked 530 meter Nascar track.

Uniquely American economic depression coupled with master planning directed by Charles L'enfant with inspiration from Paris, hellacious sandy pine barrens, what used to be the worlds largest paper mill. The largest sugar refinery in the world (how much more suffering is there than the exploitation of sugar?) and a finish on a Nascar track that closely resembles a velodrome. It's all the critical elements of the social drama that makes up West Flanders or Northeastern France, except bike racers aren't escapist heroes, but instead human players in Frogger made real. That cranks the Epic-itude up a few notches... Suffering, and persecution, with pain as a purifying element? Sign me up for Jesus Camp!

If you drink enough coffee and lose enough blood flow to your penis all sorts of things seem like fun, relevant or an aesthetic ideal to strive toward. I, and many other skinny people with less than fully functional reproductive organs, skew toward asceticism.

The same sort of aesthetic framework could be laid over heady bong-rips and trying to make mountainbiking into snowboarding or surfing. It's just not the world I personally come from. And the internet is my soapbox.
Different strokes for different folks. It's America v. the world. Nascar V. WRC, UsOpen of Supercross v. MXDN.

Some things are clearly better, but the packaging only reaches the converted. Common ground is hard to find, but it is possible for people to enjoy both. (But Haterade is a far more quenching tonic than others I've tried)

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Mickey, you need to get out of the People's Republic of Northampton every now and again! :busted:
I go to Cambridge often. I drink coffee with lesbians and talk mustache grooming with the fixed-gear transexual contingent... I spend more time in Easthampon these days where the office is though... Now this is a beautiful place. Full of people who haven't worked since Stanley moved their production to China and their offices to Bermuda. Giant Taylor-ist mills and factories that are gradually being subdivided into arts space litter the landscape here. Kids under the age of 30 are having an overwhelmingly positive gentrifying effect. All of our starry-eyed eagerness and pissed off creativity is creating real manufacturing jobs in the community for the first time in 20 years. Oldsters are selling their homes for real money to people who drink lattes and moving to Florida to finish of their little slice of the American dream...