Quantcast

The Complete SRAM Trigger Shifter Rebuild How-To

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
Ok, so I was kicking myself the other night after I took apart my broken X9 shifter to replace a broken lever (I was planning on using one from my broken X7) because I didn't pay attention to anything as I ripped it apart. I got it all back together, but it wasn't working properly. But then I figured out what I did wrong, and I thought it'd be nice to have a pictorial assembly incase anyone else ever has a problem like I did.

In any case, here's the skinny:

Step 1 (first pic):

Starting with just the thumb lever, put in the upside-down bronze "h" into it's place. There's only one place it will go, so just look for it. Next, put the spring on the "+" post so that it applies pressure to the "h" and holds it against the inside wall of the lever.

Step 2 (second pic):

Put the larger of the two coiled springs on the thumb lever. It will have a piece of the wire that extends towards the center; put that into the groove.

Step 3 (3rd pic - you get it now):

Put the bronze circle piece with 5 notches and a hole on top - the "h" should stick up into the hole and one of the notches. Then place the entire thumb lever and all it's new friends into the lower housing. Attach the spring to the body via the little spring hole. Be sure to keep your finger on the lever as the spring is now working against you.

Step 4:

Keeping your finger on the thumb lever so that the spring doesn't shoot off, drop in the finger lever attached to the big plate - there are two little grooves that the pins (the long one that the finger lever pivots on) will slide into. Be sure that the "h"piece is still visible. If it is, then you should be able to let go of the thumb lever. If it isn't, move the thumb forward and/or back until it is, then apply pressure down on the big plate. Next, put the gear-looking piece on top how the picture shows.

Attachments

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
Step 5:

Put the black two-tier gear thingy on top - there are three little elevated parts that will fit into the three holes of the gear piece that was just put in in step 4. It might be easier to take the gear peice out, fit it on the black piece, then put it in. Next, bolt the black piece down with the bolt. Be sure the top threads into the bottom.

Step 6:

First, take the long L-spring and put the really bent end (top of the "L") into the back of the hole that the barrel adjuster fits into. Run it around the bottom right corner tab (assuming you're looking at it like in the pics - as it would be on your bike), then click it into place in the little notch that protrudes from the trigger lever. The trigger should now return to it's original position after being pushed. Next, take the last coil spring (the smaller of the two that we started with) and attach it to the black piece that was just bolted down. It should be the part of the spring that sticks straight down from the coil. It goes into a nice little hole next to where the derailleur cable end will rest against. Once it is in place, pull the spring around to tension it, and attach it to the bar that you just put into the barrel adjuster.

Put the top back on, throw a cable in, and go ride.

Attachments

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Thanks for the pictoral... was a HUUUUGE help tonight. I bent the crap out of on of my triggers, figured I'd take it apart and bend it back. I was in over my head before I even had it all the way apart. So many things are spring tensioned in there, if it doesn't come apart just right, it's hard to see how everything goes back together.

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
Haha, yeah. Take the top off. Do it slowly.

If nothing else, you can also just cover your hands and shifter with a towel, then take it apart. If you do it right and the shifter explodes, you will at least have everything under the towel.

ryanmitton

Chimp
Jun 6, 2008
This is technically only HALF the complete guide....the other half is the FRONT shifter. :)

doh. i busted my front shifter yesterday hitting a tree. I crazy glued the small lever back together and now i can't figure out how to put it back together.
it's a 2006 x9 front shifter. Anybody?

yelp...hellp...

Last edited: